JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok so cut one open and it is defiantly a hardened steel core, I took a center punch to one side and couldn't do much to it w/o beating it hard. Here is a pic. So I guess I got me some armored zombie bullets.
View attachment 400089
Did you cut that penetrator with a hacksaw type blade?
If it's M2 Ball, the penetrator is about 700 on the Brinell scale and you'd have to use diamond or carborundum or something.

30-06 "30 CAL M2 AP" Armor Piercing | The Ammo Channel

Did you cut that penetrator with a hacksaw type blade?
If it's M2 Ball, the penetrator is about 700 on the Brinell scale and you'd have to use diamond or carborundum or something.

naw i'm a welder so i took one of my small and thin grinding wheels and cut it while it was in a vice, i could tell when i was cutting it it was hardened just by the way the cutting was going, and the sparks were different than normal mild steel. I just dbl checked with the center punch after it was done.

I got one more for you, I picked up two unopened boxes of old ball bullets. I put a magnet on the box and whatever is in there has steel cores. I'm wondering if I ought to see if they are collectable before I use em. Here is a pic. What do you guys think? 1508882216834352860573.jpg

They're certainly Collectable but Only to a very special Collector. I would think that the number of "Bullet" as apposed to "Cartridge" is going to be Very Small indeed. If I owned the box I'd think I'd put it up for Auction on someplace like GunBroker.com. I'd start with a pretty steep Reserve price(maybe a Grand) and let it run for a month or more. Hey the box is still in very nice shape for being 68+ years old!

I'll accept my cut in TENs and TWENTIES, please.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wow! Really? If it sells for that I would be happy to send you a Christmas gift!
The way I look at Auctions is that they are "The Land of the CRAZY People" and little more. Some Auctions(the live ones) are great places to go and enjoy an evening of Entertainment! Then there are the Internet Crazy Places for the Rich and Stupid. I've seen live Auctions get crazy(that's with a little "c") but not like the Internet Sites!

It's up to you but I'd give it a shot. Put a CRAZY Reserve price on it and let it run for a while. If you don't get any bites you can always reduce the price but you can't Ever go the other way.

Probably tool steel. Tungsten alloy cores are rare. Early US AP had tungsten alloy penetrators, but they switched to hardened tool steel before long.

As to the box of M2 bullets, I think you'll find that they are ordinary ball with clad steel jackets. It's common for M2 ball bullets to be magnetic. As for value or collectibility, I wouldn't even want to guess. I've never seen a box like that, but that doesn't mean much. I expect it's worth something to someone, but whether that's $10 or hundreds I don't have a clue. I wouldn't get too excited though.

Here's a good site: Web Forum - International Ammunition Association

There are some serious collectors there who really know their stuff, could probably tell you all about it.

Here's another thread I found about what sounds like the same thing or similar: Frankford Arsenal M2 Bullets - M14 Forum

He posted a photo, but you can't see it unless you're signed in, and I'm not a member there.

Either way, sounds like you found some cool things at that estate sale. Now I'm kind of wishing I had gone on Sunday like I almost did. Well, not really; I don't need any more stuff no matter how cool it is, but I'm glad to hear that someone got something interesting. Thanks for posting about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top