JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love my NAPA UltraMatic 55 10/2 for my car and bikes, but I don't think they make it anymore. It's strong enough to start a car with a dead battery but very portable. New enough to have auto-shutoff and Regular/Deep Cycle settings, old enough to not be made in China.

Little known fact: most of the current is carried on the surface of the wire strand.

"Little known fact": skin effect (the tendency of current to flow near the surface of a conductor) is only an issue with alternating current and is effectively zero with direct current (I.e., with DC, the current flows in the full cross section of a conductor).

With AC, the higher the frequency, the more the current flows near the surface of the conductor.

skin-depth-decreases-with-increasing-frequency.jpg

Another "little known fact": The current in the charging and starting circuit, and indeed, much of many automobile electrical systems, is DC.

As I said, I used to do this for a living. I may have forgotten most of it, but I do remember the difference between AC and DC. :rolleyes:

I have a couple of Optima batteries in a couple of hot rods and my Deltran smart chargers were not recommended. I purchased an Optima Digital 400 and it works for the AGM batteries as well as the standard 12v car/bike batteries. It has a setting for smaller batteries (Motorcycle-jet ski, etc). It diagnosis the state of charge and charges at the appropriate rate. I have 5-6 Deltran smart chargers and they have been my go to for car/bike battery maintenance for years. I am happy with the new Optima Digital 400 charger for all of my battery maintenance needs. For quick charging I have an old Sears 2-10-50 to get the battery stirred up. :)

The heretic and Mike J have it down. BTW, Mike, I too have a boat. I have both the deep cycle and the standard battery. The regular battery needs high amps to WHAM + crank it whereas the trolling motor needs long regular output (deep cycle). A single dual battery tender has been connected to both for 7 years now. Both still doing fine although it's been darned cold. I see there is a 4 bank unit as well for boats.

These guys don'T even list it. https://outdoorsinformed.com/2-bank-battery-charger/

https://www.amazon.com/BATTERY-022-...ds=battery+tender+dual&qid=1613614118&sr=8-39

Edited, 7 years the Battery Tender has been working continuously with the same 2 batteries.

Last Edited:
I have the dual battery tender for my diesel flatbed truck. It has some current draw somewhere that I have been too lazy to figure out, so now I just leave the batteries disconnected unless I am going to use it (maybe a couple of times per year, usually only on the property).

I have a battery disconnector switch which I am also too lazy to install. :oops:

I have the dual battery tender for my diesel flatbed truck. It has some current draw somewhere that I have been too lazy to figure out, so now I just leave the batteries disconnected unless I am going to use it (maybe a couple of times per year, usually only on the property).

I have a battery disconnector switch which I am also too lazy to install. :oops:
I have a similar affliction. I almost didn't even reply. :D

I second the ctek recommendation. Smart chargers are really good for your battery in the long run but cost a bit more up front. Some of the ctek chargers also have a reconditioning mode which really helps if u use it once in a while especially for batteries that sit a lot.

I have an old Schumacher battery charger that I bought almost 30 years ago now. I chargers both normal and deep cycles batteries. When I did not drive the pickup years ago I would use this charger.
s-l640.jpg

I have found it's easier to buy the parts, than actually install them... I have a nice collection now lol.

-Robert

I think I just blew up my trusty old battery charger earlier tonight. I've been in the market for a new one; however, not impressed with what the usual scumbags have to offer.

What are you using, and how do you like it? And where can I buy one...

-Robert
I got mine at Harbor Freight. It has 4 settings and can even provide enough power to jump start most cars. I've had it for years. The only problem I've ever had is one of the plastic handles broke off. It is still working.

I recommend CTEK, they are very good at keeping your batteries charge. I have 3 cars, 1 I left in my CA property and 2 in my WA home which is my main residence. As I work from home full time and wife doesn't work, we really only use 1 car so the other 2 cars have CTKE battery charger connected on them to keep their 12v batteries topped up.

Yes, working from home has taken it's toll on my vehicles that don't get driven.

Last December, I had to take my mom to an appointment downtown, and didn't expect my battery to be so low... it cranked over slow, but seemed alright, and I rolled out anyway. The low battery and using the heater + defroster put too much load on my aging alternator, and took it out. Fortunately, I had my li-ion jump pack to get me started again. (Speaking of technology, those things are surprising with the power in that tiny package)

Unfortunately, the problem is that the brakes in the heavy Merc are electronically boosted... and it's got massive calipers (AMG 8 piston front/4 rear), so braking force was very limited. I thought about getting a tow home, but I am stubborn and took a calculated risk. I was able to time the lights just right, and made it home without issue... driving like a Prius in the left lane.

Battery tender on the "daily" vehicles now. Unplugged batteries on all the toys/garage ornaments.

-Robert

Yes, working from home has taken it's toll on my vehicles that don't get driven.

Battery tender on the "daily" vehicles now. Unplugged batteries on all the toys/garage ornaments.

-Robert

Sometimes, this makes me feel a little stupid. Here I am, driving gas powered vehicles but I'm plugging them in to charge. Neighbors probably think I'm a special case of stupid. :D

I once had to limp home with a busted alternator and it was a very interesting experience. One day while outside, the alternator died while I'm driving and the battery slowly drained to nothing. The engine started reving up and down in a crazy manner, I think the on board computer went down because there were insufficient to no electrical power. All kinds of light blinked on and off. Quite a trip but luckily I didn't have to drive far.

I have found it's easier to buy the parts, than actually install them... I have a nice collection now lol.

-Robert

That's me.

I buy stuff for a project/need and then never use it. Not that it wasn't a good buy, but actually implementing the intended purpose requires effort and time I would rather spend talking about my plans on a gun related forum.

Beleive it or not Harborfreight has a battery charger that does pretty good.

I don't go there normally but it came recommended by someone who used and abused it. I bought one, its been fine for a couple years now. Lives outside on the back porch.

Back in the days when real men drove vehicles with generators instead of alternators, I occasionally drove a '59 Chevy pickup with a generator. When something in the charging system slowly went bad everything got dimmer and dimmer, and the engine would start to miss.

My brother in law to be (now rotting in prison for molesting his daughter) - now ex-BIL - kept turning on the heater on one trip like that while we were driving in the snow in the dark. That selfish act would diminish our chances of getting home each time he did it, and the other occupants (four of us crammed into the cab) would turn it off and get on his case.

Come to think of it, I should have realized that his sister (whom I knocked up and then married), was selfish in a similar fashion; it was all about her comfort and needs at the cost of the needs of others (like me and my daughter).

Most of the cars at that time that had alternators, would stop running altogether if the battery was dead or if you removed the battery, whereas with a generator equipped vehicle, it was a common practice for us (who could not afford jumper cables) to swap batteries from a vehicle with a good charging system to one with a bad one, get the vehicle started, then swap batteries back while the vehicle with the bad charging system (or battery) was still running. You also stand a good chance of frying the charging system on an alternator equipped vehicle if you remove the battery while it is running.

Fun times.

I think I just blew up my trusty old battery charger earlier tonight. I've been in the market for a new one; however, not impressed with what the usual scumbags have to offer.

What are you using, and how do you like it? And where can I buy one...

-Robert
I prefer the pricier "smart chargers" over the old tech units. You can leave them hooked up forever and not boil a battery dry.

The NOCO Genius is a brand that I just heard of, but seems relatively popular. I, myself, have relied on the Xantrex TruCharge 10 amp charger for years. They are pricey ($150+/-) and you have to really hunt to find one, but they work.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top