JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I haven't been driving much lately. I've got 2 optima batteries in my Tacoma. After about 3-4 weeks it doesn't start. I live in an apartment so I cant easily have a way to keep it charged. I could disconnect the second battery but not sure if that is going to keep it up. Besides a battery jump starter is there anything I can do? I dont want to drive around randomly just to waste gas to keep it charged.

Install a battery disconnect switch, easier to turn on and off than actually removing the lead from the battery (no tools necessary).

Thanks saw this too

can you help install kick you down some ammo

I've never been impressed with those Optima batteries. Bimart sells very good conventional type vehicle batteries.
Barring that, get a solar battery charger to keep it topped up.

I assume if you're running two optimas you have some sort of overland build? I have a pair in my Jeep, yellow tops. I'll bet you have something drawing power off of them when the truck is off and the solution is to find that and fix it. Also you should have an isolator between the two batteries to separate the starting battery from the accessory battery when the ignition is off. Another thing I found is yellow tops like other AGM batteries don't get a good charge with an alternator and I've installed a solar panel which peak charges the house battery. The alternator never did. My fridge can now run a lot longer without damaging the house battery.

I assume if you're running two optimas you have some sort of overland build? I have a pair in my Jeep, yellow tops. I'll bet you have something drawing power off of them when the truck is off and the solution is to find that and fix it. Also you should have an isolator between the two batteries to separate the starting battery from the accessory battery when the ignition is off. Another thing I found is yellow tops like other AGM batteries don't get a good charge with an alternator and I've installed a solar panel which peak charges the house battery. The alternator never did. My fridge can now run a lot longer without damaging the house battery.
What solar did you use?

What solar did you use

7567D82D-173C-4710-818E-872946DCCA70.jpeg B514BC5B-63A9-461F-BBCD-10F4FC7F717D.jpeg

I assume you can't run power for a battery charger there. In that case I would second the battery disconnect switch. You can do manual type or Amazon has them with remote control fobs. Just hit the remote to disconnect/connect.

Were your batteries actually dead or just not connected very well? I had a boat that for a couple years always delivered sluggish cranking, even right after charging. Very unsettling out on the water. Finally replaced the cable connections with beefier hardware tightened on with a wrench. Same battery, never a problem again.

Not saying that's what you have going on, but it's the first or second thing I'd check.

Last Edited:
I have a 15 year old kyocera solar panel rated for 135 watts and a sunsaver 20 controller. I got them for free as they were litterally going into the dumpster! I will be replacing the heavy panel with a Renogy 100 watt panel as soon as money allows. I've looked at them in person and they look pretty nice, plus I'll save 15 pounds. If I were starting from scratch and needed to buy a controller I'd probably get a sunsaver 10 since it will handle 100 watts no problem. Your alarm might be the issue. I had a dash cam that was draining my battery before I got two. In about three days sitting the Jeep wouldn't start.

Have the simple disconnect on one old Jeep. Back before I moved it was only kept as a "just in case" vehicle and often was not driven for weeks or months. Couple times went to use it and battery was too low to crank. Bought the simple one shown earlier here from Amazon. It kept the thing from being stolen too. Came home from work one day, noticed the door ajar. Looked and the ignition was on. Never locked it as there was nothing kept in it. Someone had gotten in and got the ignition to turn without damaging it but then of course not start. I could see where they had tried flipping several switches on the dash that are for off road stuff. When that did not work they gave up. So I got some added benefit from the cut off :D

I haven't been driving much lately. I've got 2 optima batteries in my Tacoma. After about 3-4 weeks it doesn't start. I live in an apartment so I cant easily have a way to keep it charged. I could disconnect the second battery but not sure if that is going to keep it up. Besides a battery jump starter is there anything I can do? I dont want to drive around randomly just to waste gas to keep it charged.
Take the battery some place you can charge it, like in the house some place. If the discharge was one or two days, I would suggest there was a bigger problem. 4 weeks on an older battery sounds about right. We leave heavy equipment battery's, pick up battery's, disconnected for months, but we trickle charge them every month or so. Battery's need maintenance. People just don't understand that.
Oh yea, You will not have sufficient ground using many of the battery disconnects. Look at your current Ground wire and base your choice on how many amps the switch will maintain. I have seen complete black outs driving at night using one of those. No head lights no interior dash lights, nothing. Better just to disconnect the ground and re connect it when needed.
You can read the voltage from + to - with a harbor freight $5.00 multi meter . 12.5 volts and above is a good sign, under 12. 5 volts watch it more often, it may be slipping away. It would be a good thing for you to watch and keep a log, [date and voltage] as the battery slowly slips away over the month's time. After you put the tester on 20 v DC, you can test with the wires on or off the battery makes no difference! You can also test '''with the wires secure''' and wile the rig is running, ''same set up, DC volts, set the dial on 20 volt DC scale.Then red to + Black to -. if it reads 13.7 or above your alternator is in good shape. No worries if you get the wires wrong in this test there will be a { - } minus sign up in the corner but the gauge will read still volts correctly. Just do not plug into the 10 amp socket wile setting up the wires to the meter. That will blow the fuse! Have fun you just got your first lesson in auto repair. Buy the darn thing and give it a try, what is $5.00 or so for such a valuable lesson even if you get it wrong it will be fun trying. No Harm done.
There is an inexpensive multi meter with or without a back light. May I suggest getting the one with the back light, it comes in handy at times.
Later and good luck.

Last Edited:
Re testing for battery health, here is a good video for methods. Skip to 7:00 mark to see a great option.

But imo it's kind of "why bother" when you can "fix" the problem by installing a $15 manual cut off switch or a $30-$40 remote cutoff switch. Seems simplest and cheapest to me if you don't want to try to track down the saprophytic drain source (sounds like u may have already identified it as being the alarm).

Haven't decided yet what is most practical. Found some solar chargers on amazon. Seems cool but sketchy to leave that sitting on my truck. Note I am in Portland. I might be able to get the second battery out of the back to get inside. I have an inverter. I wonder if that would charge it? Sorry dumb question. Just trying not to spend money on more stuff. Carrying a battery up the stairs and putting back in the truck is not easy for me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top