JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Haven't decided yet what is most practical. Found some solar chargers on amazon. Seems cool but sketchy to leave that sitting on my truck. Note I am in Portland. I might be able to get the second battery out of the back to get inside. I have an inverter. I wonder if that would charge it? Sorry dumb question. Just trying not to spend money on more stuff. Carrying a battery up the stairs and putting back in the truck is not easy for me.
The free method would be to simply disconnect the negative cables on the batteries and set them to the side, don't move batteries at all. Reconnect before using the rig and then disconnect when "storing" for a few weeks or whatever. The battery cutoff switches are just a faster and more convenient way to do the same thing.

The free method would be to simply disconnect the negative cables on the batteries and set them to the side, don't move batteries at all. Reconnect before using the rig and then disconnect when "storing" for a few weeks or whatever. The battery cutoff switches are just a faster and more convenient way to do the same thing.
:)

Thanks I was trying to find the easy way. Appreciate everyone's response. Sometimes I can't even find the milk in the refrigerator or the answer right in front of me.

If you think the alarm is draining the batteries, I would try to disconnect the alarm and give it a little time to see if the battery drain issue diminishes or goes away. If you isolate the problem area, it you can address it specifically. That said, I assume you have the alarm for a reason, and may not feel comfortable disabling it for testing/evaluation purposes given the security of where the vehicle is parked.

Although it doesn't sound like a feasible option given where the vehicle is parked/stored, I have several cars and trucks that are rarely driven, and I keep them on a battery tender or such trickle charger that cycles as needed to maintain the battery charge over periods of storage. It really helps extend the time a battery lasts on these seldom used vehicles.

We have a car stored at the house in Florida. Sometimes it doesn't get started for 4 to 6 months. We disconnect the negative terminal when we leave and it always retaines a starting charge. The battery disconnect switch is also good and if properly placed serves as an anti theft devise. Some of the float chargers/maintainers will still evaporate a battery over time....This should be easy stuff..

Those maxx batteries from Walmart are pretty good. Just replaced a group 29 deep cycle I bought in 2011....and that was after the maintainer evaporated the water levels once in a while. I've had good luck with mine.

Enjoy...

Disconnect the negative terminal any time you expect to have the vehicle parked for more than a week. Dunsky.

Second that you may have a parasitic battery draw. Often the cause is aftermarket stereos and other accessories.

Interesting that you have 2 Optimas, I reckon it's possible that the upgrades done to facilitate 2 batteries also came along with some extra electrical accessories? Without seeing the way everything is hooked up, I'd reckon you might have an unknown parasitic draw.
Your truck is old enough that the stock setup wouldn't likely have a parasitic draw (my car doesn't have a key, it senses a fob, so the car always has a 20-30ma draw, it'll discharge the battery in a few weeks).

Some advice: when the time comes for new batteries, consider getting something different than Optimas. Unless you need spill-proof batteries, modern Optimas are no longer that good. They acquired their good reputation from the days when they were USA made, and they were good back then. Now they are made in Mexico, but priced as if made in USA.
I'd save big bucks and just go with Costco batteries next time.

Dunno if this helps

B05C3C6E-BDD7-433D-B93D-0ACF64F84E0A.jpeg F54F89A3-21D9-4666-9C66-D1A89BFEBD0C.jpeg

I used to love Costco Batteries. Had a multi year warranty. Got 7 or 8 years out of my twin batteries in the Cummins. Went to Costco to replace them and the guy said they changed to a different supplier and only had a 1 year warranty. The guy actually came out and said the new batteries suck and that they have a high rate of returns within the 1st year. This was 1 or two years ago.....maybe they changed things again but I would certainly ask some questions at Costco. Maybe they are doing something different today.
Save yourself a lot of money this time around, skip the Optima. Normal car battery will work fine in your application, I'd suggest Costco.
I shopped around and went with the lead acid Walmart upper end batteries. Been happy so far.....and the truck sat 3 months from Mid Oct to Mid Jan out in the open and it fired right up.

Like I said earlier I got 11 years out of the Walmart group 29 deep cycle for the RV/Boat.

Good luck.....

I used to love Costco Batteries. Had a multi year warranty. Got 7 or 8 years out of my twin batteries in the Cummins. Went to Costco to replace them and the guy said they changed to a different supplier and only had a 1 year warranty. The guy actually came out and said the new batteries suck and that they have a high rate of returns within the 1st year. This was 1 or two years ago.....maybe they changed things again but I would certainly ask some questions at Costco. Maybe they are doing something different today.

I shopped around and went with the lead acid Walmart upper end batteries. Been happy so far.....and the truck sat 3 months from Mid Oct to Mid Jan out in the open and it fired right up.

Like I said earlier I got 11 years out of the Walmart group 29 deep cycle for the RV/Boat.

Good luck.....
I did hear about Costco batteries, also their return policy on batteries changed a few years ago, became less generous.

I also heard the good stuff about Walmart batteries.

I do have newer Costco batteries, we'll see how it goes.

Well it looks like you have a battery isolator for it. If it works it should be separating the batteries when the truck is off. The aftermarket accesory wiring should all be on the house battery side which would keep your starter battery from being drained if everything is wired properly. Do you know if it connects the batteries when the ignition is on? My isolator has a setting on the switch for emergency start that connects both batteries if your starter battery goes dead. Have you checked both batteries with a meter to see if they're both dead? If this truck were mine and it sat outside for extended lengths of time I'd install a hundred watt solar panel on the canopy and a split charge controller that will feed both batteries. With no serious drains it would keep your batteries topped off without ever needing to plug a charger in.

Well it looks like you have a battery isolator for it. If it works it should be separating the batteries when the truck is off. The aftermarket accesory wiring should all be on the house battery side which would keep your starter battery from being drained if everything is wired properly. Do you know if it connects the batteries when the ignition is on? My isolator has a setting on the switch for emergency start that connects both batteries if your starter battery goes dead. Have you checked both batteries with a meter to see if they're both dead? If this truck were mine and it sat outside for extended lengths of time I'd install a hundred watt solar panel on the canopy and a split charge controller that will feed both batteries. With no serious drains it would keep your batteries topped off without ever needing to plug a charger in.
When the ignition is on seems like it's there cranks a lot harder. I like the solar idea but seems sketchy in the city like cool but sitting on my truck seems like a red flag. I don't need any drama.

When the ignition is on seems like it's there cranks a lot harder. I like the solar idea but seems sketchy in the city like cool but sitting on my truck seems like a red flag. I don't need any drama.
You got me thinking. If I read correctly that second battery should be isolated when the power is off. And should provide power to start.

I feel your pain. I had to drive through a couple weeks ago and I don't know how people still want to live there! I definitely wouldn't park my Jeep anywhere in that city for any length of time. We fill up and take a break before we enter the suburbs and try to just go through on the main routes and avoid rush hour. If possible we take an alternate route to avoid it altogether, like taking extra time to drive over Santiam pass. Back on topic and rant over now. Depending on how tall your truck is a flexible panel is very flat and would not be noticed except from above. A Battery disconnect for the starter battery might just be your best/cheapest bet though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top