JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ballistics of the caliber aside, how do you determine when a range is too far to be engaging? I bring up this question based on some shooting I did a few weeks back in which I took some 100 yard shots with my Kimber 10mm. I know there are various factors that would influence whether or not one decides to take a shot, but in general how would the rest of you here at NWFA make that determination?

This pic is three magazines at 100 yards. I counted 19 on the paper. 20180221_150310.jpg

It's like this when you grow up in the country.

You have a couple guns.
You take these guns and shoot at things. Some living [We called that dinner] and some not.

After a while, shooting different sized things at different distances.
You get a feel for what you and your gun can shoot the head off.

And what might end up as stew meat? o_O

If I have no other choice then I would take a shot with a handgun but prefer a rifle for long distance shooting. My best effort with my 22lr was a dead jack at 117 paces, standing up with a weaver hold. It was sitting still.:cool:

Of course you always want to have the right tool for the job, but regardless of the tool, do you generally have to be able to hit a target 50% of the time before you will feel comfortable shooting? 75% of the time?

I really like 10mm, I am loading 165 grain gold dots in it now and still searching for the best powder combo to make it most accurate. From a bench taking long range shots is easy but stand up hunting tends to keep my range of shooting and hitting pretty close.

First year they allowed hunting deer with a handgun I killed one at 37 paces looking straight at me with a head shot. I shake too bad to shoot like that now.

I really like 10mm, I am loading 165 grain gold dots in it now and still searching for the best powder combo to make it most accurate.

Would love to see your results as you experiment. There isn't much variety in bullet weights locally here, mostly 180 or 200 gr is all I can find. I want to start reloading 10mm eventually, but a reloading setup isn't in the budget at the moment.

I smack a 12' gong at 100 yards with my 9mm AR all day long. Seems like most things would not like being hit even by that round at that distance.

I think it depends more on what you're effectively trying to do.

In times of desperation, hitting something or not is all skill and ammo quality/power. Would I? Not normally, but can I, yes! All it takes is time, practice and a goodly supply of ammo! Medic! Hit one a good point, if your putting meat on the table, the beat tool isn' usually a hand gun, especially a carry piece, but your Kimber should blur that, so practice and develop your loads. I can get .45 to equal what you did at 100 yards, but it took a lot of trial and error as well as a lot of ammo and time, same with other calibers.
Now, if you find your self in a fight, well, things change quite a bit. It comes down to SHOULD you take a shot or not, what risks are there if you do shoot, or not shoot?
I think your on the right track, at least learning what you and your set up can do currently, and where you might improve both!
Try ordering up some Remington Golden Saber bullets and loading them up to specs, I find That even though they are a .40 SW design, they like going faster and they still do what they were designed to do! BlueDot powder is your friend!:)

I thought I would be able to elk hunt with my 460xvr ( 10 incher, scoped) out to 150 yrds. After a couple a range outings I'm not sure I'd even try 100yrds. Got two 10mms and I'll just use them for backup. Big difference from a rifle to a pistol, especially when the first shot has to count.

Gongs and paper are fun but If by "effective range" you're talking live targets, if the brown cardboard backing is twelve inches square, if you are using 6.3333 round magazines, then you are good to go. If not, I'd choose some other options. Otherwise wounding / maiming, collateral damage, innocent bystanders etc. come into play and are to be avoided in my mind be they human or game.
War would be a different opine.

We talking hunting or self defense?

It all depends on the situation and environment.

I wouldn't take a shot on an animal hunting unless I was sure I could effectively put it down.
However if it was a survival situation and I'm starving, you do what you have to.

In self defense, same. If your in a city or neighborhood? Can you safely shoot 100yds with being sure you won't have innocent people in harms way.
Do you have the option to flee rather than use deadily force?

There's too many variables

Krueji: Thank you. I was referring to the hunting applications for this pistol/revolver cartridge. (Yes, it shoots quite well and is deadly accurate in my S&W Model 610-1 with the 6.5" barrel). This, and my IAI 7" barreled Javalina (with the proper loads) Are quite effective with Buffalo Bore and Double Tap ammunition.

Within proper parameters, the 10mm is a marvelous dear/black bear/boar hunting machine. Judicious use of said arms (within design/load pressure/operating limits) is the prime directive.

I bring up this question based on some shooting I did a few weeks back in which I took some 100 yard shots with my Kimber 10mm. I know there are various factors that would influence whether or not one decides to take a shot, but in general how would the rest of you here at NWFA make that determination?

This pic is three magazines at 100 yards. I counted 19 on the paper.

Of course you always want to have the right tool for the job, but regardless of the tool, do you generally have to be able to hit a target 50% of the time before you will feel comfortable shooting? 75% of the time?

this is an interesting and good question, Ive never thought about it in terms of percentage of hits.... If all other things are equal, my rule is it has to be a shot I know 100% I can make. In practice I would never take a shot that I haven't practiced and done enough times to feel confident "cold turkey".
Practicing with your 10mm at 100yds is not unrealistic for hunting or self defense, I'm not certain which application your thinking of though.

If, this discussion is regarding a SD situation, could you truly justify your pulling and firing your handgun to Law Enforcement stating as 'clearconscience' articulated about assuring your accuracy doesn't affect innocent(s).

As to Levetti's question regard accuracy 50% or 75% of the time, if deterrent to stop a threat is the rational to pull the trigger and at xyz distance you are only 50% accurate then you have a gaggle of bullets landing in something other than the threat you are worried about!

This would point out to me to close the distance sufficently to improve my accuracy to 90-95%. This does not take into consideration being in an panic, adrenaline rush!

Finally, surely a threat at 300 feet will facilitate an alternative 'option 42' to assure discharging your handgun isn't your only option!

PS: also signicantly depends on the cartridges used, corbon or ?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top