JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The mirage effect really did a number on my shot. But I was able to repeat it. .223 75 grain at 800. I'd choose (and have since done so) a better platform for 1000 yards.

I had a 6-24x60 scope on a Remington 700 Tactical. Loved that gun. MAd I sold it but when you need money yah gotta do what ya gotta do and students don't have a whole lotta money.

I think I read somewhere it's 1x magnification for every 100 yards, so 10x for 1000 yards.. although I'm not a distance shooter, so I have no practical experience, just what what I see on the "internets".

Interesting thread, I look forward to reading more responses.

There is a range up here called Mica with a 1k gong. I've hit it with a 18x and a 24x off a bench. Minimal issues for me with the mirage. I think I could probably hit it just fine with a 10x but might have trouble seeing the bullet splash. Shouldn't be an issue with a spotter.

While Instructing at the NRA Whittington Center I was lucky enough to have access to the 1,000 yard Range. I have a Leupold 8.5-25X Scope on a Remington 700TMR in .308. I've Fired at each end of the range of that scope but do find the higher power of value at 1,000 yards.

The mirage effect really did a number on my shot. But I was able to repeat it. .223 75 grain at 800. I'd choose (and have since done so) a better platform for 1000 yards.
I listened to Krieger talk about mirage and he mentioned a lot of that comes off the barrel and can screw with your shots if you don't have a shroud in place

I listened to Krieger talk about mirage and he mentioned a lot of that comes off the barrel and can screw with your shots if you don't have a shroud in place
In my experience, that kind of Heat only comes up when you are firing rapid fire strings. I've never felt it was necessary to shoot rapid fire at 1,000 yards. I enjoy Simply hitting the Target and doing it properly rather than doing it as fast as I can.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top