JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For those of you shooting a .308 out 800yards or more, what rifle do you use?

I've been going back and forth looking at rifles to buy and just can't choose. I have a hunting rifle and wouldn't mind getting into the 600-800range with the ability to go to 1000.
I've been wanting a Savage and looking at several. Thought about buying a basic 110 or 111 and building off from that.
With a new barrel, trigger, and stock.

Any suggestions?

Ps.
Sorry for thread jacking!

i love my savage rifles. i use them for hunting.a 308 and a 300wm. a friend of mine has the new fancy lookin 10BA stealth in 6.5creed. its a joy to shoot!! he plans on it being a 1500yrd gun.

i use my DPMS Recon gen 1 LR308 to mess around shootin over 800 because of the scope i have. u wouldnt think it but that 16" barrel will do it.

I've hit an 18" steel plate at 1 km with a 1970s era 2x7 Redfield hunting scope on an M1A, with a spotter helping me. I hit it about 50% of the time, the rest was right around it (it was laying on a steep dusty hill in eastern WA) - I was prone.

I would go with the 1-2x per 100 yard rule, depending on conditions.

If you have a spotter and the target is large enough or there is dust around it to be able to correct your hold, then 1000 yards on a still day is not that hard to get near enough to be dangerous. Getting further beyond that is when it starts to get fun, and/or getting consistent groups, especially if there is wind.

For those of you shooting a .308 out 800yards or more, what rifle do you use?

I've been going back and forth looking at rifles to buy and just can't choose. I have a hunting rifle and wouldn't mind getting into the 600-800range with the ability to go to 1000.
I've been wanting a Savage and looking at several. Thought about buying a basic 110 or 111 and building off from that.
With a new barrel, trigger, and stock.

Any suggestions?

Ps.
Sorry for thread jacking!

To get a 168gr bullet to 1000y without going transonic requires a 2700fps MV. You should have a barrel longer than 20". How do I know? My 20" is hard to get to 2700fps with a high BC. All theoretical, no practical right now.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top