JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What power do you prefer your scope set at 1000 yards?

hubble.jpg

For those of you shooting a .308 out 800yards or more, what rifle do you use?

I've been going back and forth looking at rifles to buy and just can't choose. I have a hunting rifle and wouldn't mind getting into the 600-800range with the ability to go to 1000.
I've been wanting a Savage and looking at several. Thought about buying a basic 110 or 111 and building off from that.
With a new barrel, trigger, and stock.

Any suggestions?

Ps.
Sorry for thread jacking!

I've been going back and forth looking at rifles to buy and just can't choose. I have a hunting rifle and wouldn't mind getting into the 600-800range with the ability to go to 1000.
I've been wanting a Savage and looking at several. Thought about buying a basic 110 or 111 and building off from that.

Any suggestions?

Ps.

savage makes a great rifle now days. i shoot their precision carbine in 308 and its accurate as any of my other built rifles. even with the 20" barrel im getting great velocity and with 178gr tipped match kings we can constantly ring the mile steel out at COSSA

Im using that rifle with the following scope out to the 1760 mark and it works great!

Leupold Mark 4 ERT 6.5-20x50 M5A2 Enhanced Sniper Rifle Scope

unfortunately it is no longer available but this is a close second and my other favorite offering currently

Mark 6 3-18x44mm Scopes | Leupold

Any suggestions?

Ps.

You are more than welcome to try mine out any time you would like we just need to set up the range time. You will love my Tikka once you pull that trigger you will say Savage who? Just ask @Joe13 ;)

I use a .308 Remington 700TMR and the only modification I found necessary(actually much more of a "WANT") was a single set Trigger. I spent some time in Germany as a kid and found them Very Interesting, to say the least. Now the Trigger is light enough I simply don't publish just how light it is. One of the advantages of the Single Set is that it doesn't have to be used and the "Set" feature can be checked without loading the weapon. Even if the weapon is Loaded it can be "Set" and re-Set by simply lifting the bolt handle. I have a Leupold 8.5-25 Scope mounted using Leupold QRW Rings. It has a 20" fluted Barrel. A Harris Bipod has also been added and, yes, I do use the Bipod but generally for ranges less than 1K.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have used 35X and 45X full Target scopes but, for ME, they tend to be just too much, while the 8.5-25X seems to be just the ticket. I have shot "Standing Prone"(as from a Fox Hole) and it has worked very well, but not always practical. It was a fixed position on the Green Line and was Great mainly because it could be entered without being seen but in those days I was using Iron Sights because that is what we had, yes, even out to 1K.

PS: That was done before the Remington came along.

I have always shot a Leupold Mil.Dot 3.5 X 10 Long Range and it does just fine. I have it on a 40X Remington and another 10X Fixed Power on a Springfield M-1 NM A set up for long range. Both are in 7.62X51/308 cal. The Bolt gun is my favorite since it is a little more accurate and long range. I have shot it up to 1400. BUT Important! You will need a 22 Degree Base. A standard base will not work since you would normally run out of elevation adjustments around 600 yards. ON most scopes the scope turrets may turn using the Standard Base but nothing will happen!

Sniper 03

Last Edited:
i was dinging a target at 1022yrd with my viper hs 4-16x44 out of my lr308 while laying in the bed of a dodge pickup. thats how us country boys do it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top