JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've recently become fascinated with this caliber, and that fascination combined with an Email alert from Slickguns.com about a sale at Buds Guns drove me over the edge.

The Witness in 10mm is currently my favorite handgun to shoot. If you watch this video, you'll see how I like the ergonomics of it. Currently, after a couple hundred no-failure rounds of factory ammo varying from Hornady to full tilt Buffalo Bore loads, the honeymoon is still going hot and heavy.

My next hump will be locating new, reasonably priced brass so I can reload and keep my hot dates with my latest fling interesting. Here's a vid, Witness TA10.

[video=youtube_share;v_lKQEJd8zM]http://youtu.be/v_lKQEJd8zM[/video]

Ok now i am in the same predicament. I am buying a 10mm for an edc/woods gun. I really like the glock 29, but have also been doing research into a .44mag revolver. I will be traveling and doing a lot of back woods travel so i am looking for something that can take care of 4 legged creature as well as 2. argh i cant chose. 10 mm vs 44???

I am fortunate to have both, but my 629 is a 6.5 inch barrel, which adds weight, clumsiness. I personally, being a Namby Pamby, would not get a 29. I shot my Son's model 27 which is the same as a 29, but in the softer shooting .40 S&W. I thought it was too snappy, I would get a 20 so you can hang onto it.

10 mm vs 44???

Interesting comparison. For me it's the girth of the cylinder that gets in the way sometimes and is the reason I've picked up a 10.
I know that the 41 Mag is comparable to the 44. (41 mag = .410 bullet. 44 mag = .429 bullet, same case length.)
For years I've been reading that the 10 is "almost" equivalent to a 41, and will match it with lighter bullets. Where the 41 and 44 will smash the 10 is when the bullet gets heavy. If however, you put that 41 or 44 in a short barrel, I think you've given up a lot of the advantage those big cases have.
It's all a compromise of some sort...

In Oregon, you are fine with anything 9mm and above IMO - except maybe against black bears, in which case either 10mm or .44 Mag or .41 Mag is fine.

It is when you start going places where there is brown bear that I recommend something capable of pushing a 300+ grain projectile out at 1200fps (from a 6" barrel) and the pretty much means a .44 Mag or better.

The problem is size and weight.

The S&W 329PD is lighter than most 10mm handguns (maybe any?) and is a good size. Problem is recoil - it is a handful. I am going to have mine ported but I am sure it will still have significant recoil.

Another reason I have this revolver, besides just liking it, is that when I retire I will be going a few places where semi-autos are frowned on, and it will be easier to get a revolver "in the door" there - or so I hope.

To each their own.

Yeah looking for either a 10 or a .44 because I will be going places where there are big animals including grizzlys so a 9 is not an option.
Would love a 629 but they a bulkier than the 29.

Yeah looking for either a 10 or a .44 because I will be going places where there are big animals including grizzlys so a 9 is not an option.
Would love a 629 but they a bulkier than the 29.
It would be nice if there was some place you could rent a Glock 29 to try.

Funny... I started a thread awhile back asking virtually the same question..

Can you say "use the search function dumbazz"?

Anyway.. I too am looking hard at either the 20 or the 29. My wife and I hike a lot in the woods NE of Sandpoint, Idaho, and there are signs posted on the road that show the difference between a Black and a Brown/Griz with the verbiage "you are in Bear country". In the past few years, I've carried whatever I brought up there on that particular trip.. Kimber .45 or my Sandium frame PD360 .357.

The more research I do, the more I realize that neither one would be sufficient for a Brownie. The .357 would work in a pinch IF it didn't have the sub 2" barrel.. all it is is a glorified .38 that makes a LOT more noise.

I'm going to start this season packing my Blackhawk .41 mag (4 5/8" barrel). I packed it for years when I was younger, but the darned thing weighs 38 oz empty.. I imagine I'll be looking at the 20 or 29 sooner than later.

Last Edited:
My potential complaint with a Glock 29, is recoil with the short grip. as I said in a earlier post in this thread a Glock 27 in .40 S&W was pretty snappy to me and I am certain the 29 in 10 MM would be snappier. i would be a buyer of a Glock 20, but myself i would pass on the easier to carry 29.

The 10 will handle anything on the North American continent . Period.
The advantage over the 44mag is only the number of rounds.
If you are in Brown bear or grizzly bear country you should probably have a 45/70 or a 12ga shot gun.

Most things I have read say even the 44mag is too whimpy for the big bears .
Just what I have read by guides,nothing more.
I'll leave my g20 at home when I have the money to fish/hunt Alaska

Last Edited:
The 10 will handle anything on the North American continent . Period.

Really?

Say hello to my little friend:

Buffalo.jpg

Say hello to my other little friend:

polarbear_beaufort_1_412880.jpg

well now I am definitely stumped. g29/29 or SW629 or ruger super red hawk Alaska? with red hawk i could use 45lc and 454 casull. but alska looks like only .44 mag. but the 629 has a cool limited run with a bear on it and paw prints over the cylinder... maybe making it more collectible??
lol i havent narrowed it at all. 10m vs .44 vs. 454/45 combo.

well now I am definitely stumped. g29/29 or SW629 or ruger super red hawk Alaska? with red hawk i could use 45lc and 454 casull. but alska looks like only .44 mag. but the 629 has a cool limited run with a bear on it and paw prints over the cylinder... maybe making it more collectible??
lol i havent narrowed it at all. 10m vs .44 vs. 454/45 combo.

Get them all. One of each.

Since when does any of us need an excuse to have another gun?

Or better yet, use the excuse that you need to tailor the gun choice to your uses and so you need one of each. That is why different guns are made.

I will probably never need any of the guns I have for defensive purposes, and my .44 Mag more or less makes my .357 Mag obsolete, but I like both - the latter actually being fun to shoot.

I chose my 329PD because I found it a pain to carry a heavier revolver in the woods. Same with a Ruger SP101 - I wanted a lighter .357 Mag (for a while I was carrying a CA Bulldog Pug in .44 Special but it wasn't stainless).

The .454 is obviously much more powerful than the .44 Mag, but also generally heavier and of course more recoil.

Personally I don't anticipate I will need that power except maybe if I go back to parts of Idaho or Montana or if Canada lets me into BC with a handgun - but even then I think I prefer the 329PD with heavy loads.

Last Edited:
You guys realize I used the whole .00000001 chance of getting attacked by a bear as an excuse to get the 10 mm right?