JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I may start carrying again when in the woods.

I think I previously I was particularly afraid of wild animals around here and it is still true, they are not really a threat, but sometimes mistakes happen (they get surprised while on a kill or something like that). Logger mentioned to me while we were talking about my thinning ops, that he saw a cougar down the mtn. from my property.

I know they are up here, bears too, but it is pretty rare to see them. Very solitary creatures, they keep well hidden and usually well away from humans.

My primary fear is two legged creatures doing stupid things in the woods. However I feel being equipped for all situations is the best way to go.

I'm one if those, better have and not need, type.

You know my Witness match is int exactly as depicted on the web site, one of the reasons I was looking at the Witness Elite Stock 1 was because of the checkering on the front and rear of the grip. The Match in pictures looks bare. Mine is not bare, it has ten vertical grooves on the back and twelve vertical grooves on the front. Seems better to me.

I

I had an SP101 snubby and the recoil in it was somewhat significant. I really really like the design of the revolver though, very modular and very robust.

For me, the recoil is unbearable WITH THE FACTORY GRIPS!! :s0112: In fact, I don't know of one person who likes the SP101 with the factory jobbers on there. The reason I even have one is a friend hated his and asked me to take it from him for $200. I put a set of $20 Hogue grips and it instantly was a $400 pistol!!

For me, out in the woods means a 6 1/2" SS Ruger Redhawk. Two rounds of snake shot followed by four heavy FMJ bear loads, and a speed loader with six rounds of two legged varmint loads.

For me, the recoil is unbearable WITH THE FACTORY GRIPS!! :s0112: In fact, I don't know of one person who likes the SP101 with the factory jobbers on there. The reason I even have one is a friend hated his and asked me to take it from him for $200. I put a set of $20 Hogue grips and it instantly was a $400 pistol!!
Could be why Ruger uses Hogue grips standard on the GP-100

Maybe you got the one I sold a friend.

He kept bugging me to sell it to him so I did.

After he had it a while he would occasionally ask if I wanted to sell it back to him.

I think I put Hogue grips on it though.

My Taurus Ti Tracker, which is lighter, is a pussycat by comparison - it is ported and has those ribbed for pleasure grips.

I got all giddy over the ammo that came in yesterday. I hear this ppu stuff is really weak. In all it will be used for practice.

I too will most likely break down and order some underwood.

I'm keeping my eyes out for silver tips though.

Yummy 10mm pill to a critical duty 9mm.
muqunaqu.jpg

Scored some double tap 180 grain factory loads. 1300fps!

Should I be getting a heavy duty recoil spring or something?

Welcome to Oregon and congrats on the new pistol.

The G20(sf) is a wonderful gun, it will handle ammo that will ruin other 10mm guns in short order. Used to carry a 1076 in the early 90s; it was a heavy brick of a gun that beat itself to death. I'd like to have one nowadays if just for posterity's sake, but I'm trying to get away from things like that, especially when the gun is junk. The Colt Delta Elite is a lot nicer piece than the 1076, but will also beat itself to death with full power loads. The Glock 10mm is in a whole other class. Not sure exactly why the Glock holds up so much better, but it does.

A fried in Montana carries a 20SF with a 6-inch KKM barrel and fills it with Buffalo Bore heavy cast ammo. Very powerful stuff. I've only shot it in the 20SF, but pretty sure it would wreck my ole 1076 or Delta Elite. All things considered, of any handgun one could realistically carry for preservation while out in the woods and whatnot, the 10mm Glock has got to be at the top of the list.

I have a Glock 20 that I carry in the woods. I bought it while still living in Montana and we would go fly fishing / backpacking in the Beartooth Wilderness area along the MT/WY border near Yellowstone. Never had to use it, but there are plenty of bear sightings, both black & grizzly, and the added feature of the occasional grey wolf. None of my fishing buddies or I have had to defend ourselves against any of the four legged carnivores in the area. That being said, the advice for concealed urban carry holds true here. Be aware of your surroundings and don't let yourself get surprised.

My pistol had come with 2000 cases and as many bullets, so I haven't done a lot of shopping to feed it. Just bought a few more mags for it.

WA bears are tougher than Orygun bears

HEY! You don't even know me! I'm only a bear when really pissed off...

I do have to agree that bear and cougar encounters are rare, but I have a friend in eastern Oregon who was being stalked by a cougar and turned around at the right moment. Cougar vs. 338 mag means cougar loses. I also agree that the feral dog/feral human is a more likely threat. One of the few times I drew a handgun in defense (but didn't need to use it) was feral dogs. An other time it was a wild horse, but that's a whole different story!

I've packed 41 Mag, 357 Mag and 45 in the woods forever. Really like the power of the 41 Mag, but it's a big gun and a pain to deal with, especially if wearing a backpack unless I carry it cross draw attached to the pack's waistband. In fact, I find the 357 revolver to be uncomfortable with a pack on. Only the 45 (1911) is comfortable to carry with a back pack. Which means the 45 is the gun that goes with me, right or wrong.
I've wanted more power than the 45 ACP, but until recently haven't found the right package. I've committed to buying an identical 1911 to my 45, but it's a 10mm. Looking forward to seeing if it really is nearly the package the 41 Mag is. Only the chrono will tell.

I like both .357 Mag and .41 Mag too - even though I have never shot nor owned the latter. I prefer the .44 Mag and I carry a 329PD because of the light weight and flexibility.

I prefer revolvers for "field guns" and semi-autos for self-defense.

To each their own.

I agree and that's the reason I own a .357. But if it doesn't work with a pack, then it just gets left at home.

I tend to carry any large handgun in a Bianchi shoulder holster rig - the one they make for the military. It is often under a vest in the field, so not that visible. As I pretty much carry lightweight handguns (both my .357 and .44 Mag are titanium/Scandium), I hardly notice it is there.

But if I had to carry it in a backpack it would still be in a holster so I don't see a problem there either.