JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yeah I believe in the 10 but it must be 180 or better and it must be a true 1200 fps or better.

Know what you mean about the bear, the one that charged me was only half that size and it went down so fast I made a good statue despite all my plans, I was unarmed though.......well I had a Pulaski lol. I saw one 20 minutes before him and it took off the other way, I saw this on and he took off the other way as well but he got tangled up in a big wad of blow down , hurt himself and thought it was me ....locked on to me and closed that gap FAST, he had me but at the moment of truth he cut 90 degrees and was gone.
I carry a Glock 20SF in 10mm, with 17 rounds of some 180 grain Buffalo Bore, but in bear country, I feel a lot "safer" with my 12-gauge Mossberg 500, loaded with 3" magnum rifled slugs.

both good choices glockman! if you really want to tear them a new one pack some Brenneke slugs in that scattergun, although not completely solid , the column stays with it during flight and they use a harder alloy for penetration. Much better than a soft foster style rifled slug. But they are all going to leave a mark, just might have to rinse and repeat depending on the hit , Brenneke's drive super deep and don't wad up inside out like a foster. I cast my own slugs from the Lee key drive in a high tin alloy and the key does a respectable job of not letting the slug collapse as much.

Willamette Valley Arms hooked me up. I ordered a 20sf and a Gen4 19 for the wifey. Both will be in before valentines. I'll wrap them both and tell her thanks for the gift!

I'll probably get whatever I can find on the shelves for now. Then work to get some brass and work up a load using 200 grain hollow points.

I need to get a holster for this bad boy now. I'm thinking bravo concealment. OWB of coarse. I don't know too many folks my size concealing a full size Glock. I may try in the winter months though.

Reno, put yourself on notification for 10mm brass at Midway, 19 bucks per 100 for Starline and it come regularly .....mostly .....they only have nickel in stock right now. Dillon is also a good source for Starline

Blue Dot
AA#9
800X

are going to give your best velocities

I'll probably get whatever I can find on the shelves for now. Then work to get some brass and work up a load using 200 grain hollow points.

I need to get a holster for this bad boy now. I'm thinking bravo concealment. OWB of coarse. I don't know too many folks my size concealing a full size Glock. I may try in the winter months though.

With the right holster, IWB with a Glock 20SF isn't all that hard...

934027_658895580803172_1473372248_n-001.jpg

Reno, put yourself on notification for 10mm brass at Midway, 19 bucks per 100 for Starline and it come regularly .....mostly .....they only have nickel in stock right now. Dillon is also a good source for Starline

Blue Dot
AA#9
800X

are going to give your best velocities

Thanks. Midway had PPU 180 grain HPs for 20 bucks a box of 50 so I ordered 10 boxes. It isn't a bear stopping round. But at least I can get some practice with the pistol that way.

I'll likely turn to loading my own bear capable loads. I'll get me some starline brass and some extreme bullets 200 grain HPs and work something up using 800x.

all I had brought was my Colt commander .45 ACP that was my daily carry. The critter laid in wait as I was tracking spoor and when he made a charge at very close range in thick coastal cover I managed to hit him four out of six shots

Hey SalmonRiverJohn, do you recall which .45 ACP load you used? I'm curious because a lot of times I only carry a .45 while hiking or for backup while hunting. I generally have loaded either Hornady XTP 200 gr +p or Speer FMJ 200 gr. +p. Those stainless steel mag revolvers start to get heavy after several miles, esp. with a bunch of other gear.

Hey SalmonRiverJohn, do you recall which .45 ACP load you used? I'm curious because a lot of times I only carry a .45 while hiking or for backup while hunting. I generally have loaded either Hornady XTP 200 gr +p or Speer FMJ 200 gr. +p. Those stainless steel mag revolvers start to get heavy after several miles, esp. with a bunch of other gear.

This particular load was 185 grain Winchester Silvertip JHP. I've found it works well in my commander, but possibly not so much for Bear. I'm with you on the Speer 200 gr. FMJ though. Although its only 15 grains heavier I believe it would have penetrated better.

Yeah, but with those lightweight frames, just make sure your bullets are well crimped. Otherwise after a few shots, the rest of them might work loose from all that recoil and your cylinder will seize up.

Those SP101s look conveniently light at 30 ounces, versus 48 to 50 oz. for a loaded 629 or Ruger Alaskan.
I haven't had any problems yet with commercial ammo and these were heavy bullets - 275 and 300 grain on the upper end (Barnes ammo meant especially for dangerous game).

The problem I have had is the recoil is very stout - only my SIL enjoys shooting it.

I had an SP101 snubby and the recoil in it was somewhat significant. I really really like the design of the revolver though, very modular and very robust.

Exciting! Got my pistol today.

I get my package from midway this week as well. May get out this weekend and plink it up if the weather permits.