JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Really? A SUBSONIC round it equal to .30-30?

30-30 Ballistics Chart & Coefficient GunData.org

300 Whisper Page

As you can see from the charts a 150gr .30-30 has almost 4x the energy of a .240gr .SS 300xx round at the muzzle. I am not sure how you come up with the fact they are ballistically equivalent. Once you get out to 400 yards with the .30-30 it is going about the same as a SS .300xx at the muzzle, but has less energy.

you do know that they come in 110 grains @ 2500 fps right? which is only 150 fps slower than a 30-30 right, you did know this? And out of my 9" barrel its doing 2300 fps.

and like i said before, your experience shows that something wasn't optimal, and i think we know what it is now. load selection.

"A 200lb varmint is a.. 200lb varmint. 9mm will do the job just fine, given proper placement and ammunition."

Gotta respectfully disagree with you in part. Animals can be a lot tougher than people, and it's a lot different shooting at an animal that's facing you (and perhaps running towards you). On the animal there's a lot more bone and muscle in between that little 9mm bullet and the vitals.

Good point Mr. Blond. I'd assumed in my example that the mother bear was upset and had made up her mind to charge. They can move really fast. Bear spray might work, but I'd prefer spray (if the wind is blowing the right way....) and a caliber larger than a 9.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I'm still set on getting the 10mm and probably two lone wolf barrels. A 10mm and a 9x25. I'll probably by a case of 10mm and as I shoot it load up some 9x25 for fun. See how hot I can get them!

The pistol will likely replace my scatter gun for bedside companionship. But I'll likely move the lockbox for the shorty to the closet instead of throwing it in the safe.

I'm more of a purpose driven collector, so this pistol will serve primarily as a hiking gun. Probably up until I get some night sights on it or another torch. I may get a torch for it just for hiking though. May come in handy.

you do know that they come in 110 grains @ 2500 fps right? which is only 150 fps slower than a 30-30 right, you did know this? And out of my 9" barrel its doing 2300 fps.

and like i said before, your experience shows that something wasn't optimal, and i think we know what it is now. load selection.

We know what your problem is, reading comprehension. In all of my posts I specifically state subsonic ammo. I also clearly state that if I want to shoot fast .30 cal I have many other guns for that.

Reno sorry for the mild hijack.

"A 200lb varmint is a.. 200lb varmint. 9mm will do the job just fine, given proper placement and ammunition."

Gotta respectfully disagree with you in part. Animals can be a lot tougher than people, and it's a lot different shooting at an animal that's facing you (and perhaps running towards you). On the animal there's a lot more bone and muscle in between that little 9mm bullet and the vitals.

Agreed. A 200lb young bear is a lot different than a 200lb fat chick.

I think this thread has drifted enough off topic
10MM has been my choice for a decade, before that it was a Ruger 44 mag/Marlin 44 mag/SW-29 44 mag (lord that pistol could shoot like a rifle!).
Handguns can save your life, Rifles/Carbines extend your power of protection even farther.

Define the need you must fill, proceed from there

In all honesty a Bear with a head of steam is damned hard to kill. I was involved in tracking a wounded Bear that was hit bad, the person thought he was dead when i received the call to start packing him out, he wasn't, and all I had brought was my Colt commander .45 ACP that was my daily carry. The critter laid in wait as I was tracking spoor and when he made a charge at very close range in thick coastal cover I managed to hit him four out of six shots full in the chest and neck, I'm sure he'd have got me if not for the young man hitting him with an -06 and changing his mind. There was not an indication that he had even been hit by my shots until we checked him.
Yes one can comment about the first shot that wounded him, but it happens and if you hunt long enough it'll happen that you wound an animal and need to follow it up.
A 9mm? heck I don't even carry the .45 when archery hunting any more. I consider a good load in the .357 to be the bare minimum to have on my side, but to each their own.

As a side note, the boar weighed 400+ pounds hanging weight without the hide and innards and was 6'10 nose to toes. Sure their not all that size of course, but the take away for me is that some are, and some don't die real easy.

I managed to hit him four out of six shots full in the chest and neck.

That is some good shooting and composure that no one in fantasy land will ever understand, impressive.
A lot of folks cant do that to a stationary target, let alone one that moves that fast, that low and that scary, bears like that knock down small trees bounding up hill faster than most can run down hill....nerves of steel.

Freddy's by my place had the gen 4 in stock. I'll be getting that off the web here shortly. They wanted 650 for it. They sell for about 569 on Buds.

I have to stop by Willamette Arms tomorrow. If they have it at similar price I'll get it there. If not I'll order it and have it shipped there.

That is some good shooting and composure that no one in fantasy land will ever understand, impressive.
A lot of folks cant do that to a stationary target, let alone one that moves that fast, that low and that scary, bears like that knock down small trees bounding up hill faster than most can run down hill....nerves of steel.

Just lucky oli, I had no time to think and fortunately had my weapon in my hand. It happened so damn fast. I think a 10 mm would make a fine choice as a side arm, but feel the 9 is a little light. It makes a good cartridge as an every day carry in an urban environment, but when compared .357 magnums and up its a little weak when confronting things that can eat you. Just my 2 cents.

Just lucky oli, I had no time to think and fortunately had my weapon in my hand. It happened so damn fast. I think a 10 mm would make a fine choice as a side arm, but feel the 9 is a little light. It makes a good cartridge as an every day carry in an urban environment, but when compared .357 magnums and up its a little weak when confronting things that can eat you. Just my 2 cents.

yeah I believe in the 10 but it must be 180 or better and it must be a true 1200 fps or better.

Know what you mean about the bear, the one that charged me was only half that size and it went down so fast I made a good statue despite all my plans, I was unarmed though.......well I had a Pulaski lol. I saw one 20 minutes before him and it took off the other way, I saw this on and he took off the other way as well but he got tangled up in a big wad of blow down , hurt himself and thought it was me ....locked on to me and closed that gap FAST, he had me but at the moment of truth he cut 90 degrees and was gone.

Freddy's by my place had the gen 4 in stock. I'll be getting that off the web here shortly. They wanted 650 for it. They sell for about 569 on Buds.

I have to stop by Willamette Arms tomorrow. If they have it at similar price I'll get it there. If not I'll order it and have it shipped there.

if your .mil or a paramedic, firefighter basically any first responder you can look at blue label.

I like the look of the grip on Gen4 , haven't held one but I have never heard so many complaints about a Glock then I have heard about Gen4. Also before you get a Gen4 make sure all the stuff you want to get for it fits Gen4, barrels, holster and such