JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry the Glock 20SF when in the woods. You can't argue with 16 rounds of 10mm. I have encountered both bears and cats but haven't had to shoot them but I was dang glad to have the firepower with me. Beats pissing your pants! Gary

I have several 10mm pistols

A glock 20, a colt delta elite, and an STI. For self defense I recomend winchester 175 grain silver tipped hollow points. You know, just in case you run into werewolves.

Recoil wise? You need some strength in your wrists to hold on to it. That's why the FBI went with the .40 cal. The 10mm had too much recoil for most of their agents.

To be honest, the recoil is only marginaly stronger than a .45 cal, at least that's how it seems to me.

I find steel frame 1911's to have the most perceived recoil in 10mm. EAA are a little better and the poly frame has the least on perceived recoil.
I don't really like to say it because I really prefer an all metal pistol in any other caliber but shooting the G29 , 3.8" barrel with 180 grain Gold Dots over 11 grains of Blue Dot (1258 fps at muzzle)in not as snappy as in a 5 inch 1911(1302 fps muzzle) and really isn't like holding on to a tornado like some people think.
It is totally controllable .The poly frame really absorbs the "snap" and it translated to the shooter as more of a push with slight snap, in my experience....especially if you put a proper recoil spring in for full power loads.

I lived on 70acres in the southern OR Cascades most my life and worked in the woods since 17 , work that takes you to the deepest darkest corners of the PNW and I have seen quite a few of bear and a hand full of cougars, only one Grizz though and he was far off. I had to make a 4 mile hike a day a day in AK just to get to where I had to work and you don't see as many as you think you would but what I did see was fresh tracks in my boot prints every day in the melting permafrost on the return hike. They would rummage camp once a week when everyone was out working even if the trash was policed. I saw kills that weren't there the night before, even found 3 bear skulls....and a great many more moose sheds. I spent a couple weeks with a Grizz guide in AK and he told me in all the years he did it he only had two guys get mauled....too many imo. Neither we armed and one was dropping a deuce, one was trying to get cell reception about 100 yards from their camp.

Don't make it sound like it just isnt a big deal just because you don't see them

Stats are great to determine a trend ......but anyone can win the lottery.
Might be one of us next time we step into the bush.

This happened 20 miles from my place, yeah it was stupid but that bear could have easily ran down that drainage and got a hold of anyone on the creek
<broken link removed>

just off the first page google in 2013
<broken link removed>

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-survives-scary-bear-attack-article-1.1545298

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/11/grizzly-bear-attacked-man-0-minutes-after-being-shot/

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/from-hunter-to-hunted-b-c-man-mauled-by-grizzly-bear-1.1478471

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/18/us/alaska-bear-mauling/

If I thought that I was in territory where my 9mm was not powerful enough I would take my AR Pistol in 300 blackout. 30 rounds > 18 rounds, 2500 fps > 1200 fps.

The "Blackout" is not a very powerful round especially subsonic. You have just slightly more energy then a .45 cap which falls far short of the other guns mentioned. I will just say a few years ago from personal experience that a 220gr bullet from a "Blackout" moving ~1100 fps is NOT enough for a small black bear at 25-30 yards :(

I have not researched the energy in supersonic as I only shoot my Whisper as SS. If I want to go fast I have other .30 cal for that.

I use my Glock 20 as a woods gun. Here in Oregon i am always more worried about 2 legged vermin rather then the 4 legged kind and I feel hot 10mm will deal with both quite well.

And yet another G20 from Seattleguns.net by kickstart my heart Shown for comparison only. FFL required for interstate purchase!
Bad *** 10mm! Gen 3 Glock 20 (not an SF). Standard factory sights. Bone stock, unmolested. This gun is in pristine condition. Has had exactly one box of ammo fired through it. Come with (1) 15 round hi cap mag, (2) 10 round mags, original Glock tuperware/loading tool/paperwork, and soft case.
$525
Only thing willing to trade for is Browning X-Bolt in 7mm Rem. Mag. NO OTHER TRADES!!! No, I don't want to trade for jewelry, other guns (other than the one I listed), aquariums, cars, stereos, etc.
Must be willing to come to Auburn to pick up

I use my Glock 20 as a woods gun. Here in Oregon i am always more worried about 2 legged vermin rather then the 4 legged kind and I feel hot 10mm will deal with both quite well.

^^^^ Same here, I carry either the G20 or G29. Use the 15 round mags for backup in the G29.

10mm-2.jpg

The "Blackout" is not a very powerful round especially subsonic. You have just slightly more energy then a .45 cap which falls far short of the other guns mentioned. I will just say a few years ago from personal experience that a 220gr bullet from a "Blackout" moving ~1100 fps is NOT enough for a small black bear at 25-30 yards :(

I have not researched the energy in supersonic as I only shoot my Whisper as SS. If I want to go fast I have other .30 cal for that.

I really don't understand why people keep using the energy of a round to determine how its going to travel through flesh Sectional density is much more telling of a stat, and a heavy .308 has a much higher SD than a .45. even a moderately heavy .308 has a much higher SD that equates to better penetration.

.308" (7.62mm) 110 grain, SD = .166
120 grain, SD = .188
165 grain, SD = .248
220 grain, SD = .331
240 grain, SD = .361
247 grain, SD = .372

.45 caliber (.451-.452")

185 grain, SD = .130
200 grain, SD = .140
225 grain, SD = .158
230 grain, SD = .162
250 grain, SD = .175
260 grain, SD = .183
300 grain, SD = .210

I really don't understand why people keep using the energy of a round to determine how its going to travel through flesh Sectional density is much more telling of a stat, and a heavy .308 has a much higher SD than a .45. even a moderately heavy .308 has a much higher SD that equates to better penetration.

Real simple. As stated from personal experience on an animal at very close distance............... I have had a .300 Whisper/Fireball/.221/.223/BLK/whatever for about 5 years now. Again I only shoot SS with a silencer on it. I am very aware off paper how effective/ineffective it is.

When I got it I had planned on short range hunting with it. I do not find it to be an effective round, in SS, for that.

Real simple. As stated from personal experience on an animal at very close distance............... I have had a .300 Whisper/Fireball/.221/.223/BLK/whatever for about 5 years now. Again I only shoot SS with a silencer on it. I am very aware off paper how effective/ineffective it is.

When I got it I had planned on short range hunting with it. I do not find it to be an effective round, in SS, for that.

Your experience is vastly different than mine. You do know that the 300 blackout is ballistically equivalent to the 30-30, and there are plenty of bear/deer/elk/moose/etc... that have been killed with that round.

either you missed, your bullet selection was not optimal, the load was not optimal, or your marksmanship was not optimal.

Your experience is vastly different than mine. You do know that the 300 blackout is ballistically equivalent to the 30-30, and there are plenty of bear/deer/elk/moose/etc... that have been killed with that round.

either you missed, your bullet selection was not optimal, the load was not optimal, or your marksmanship was not optimal.

Really? A SUBSONIC round it equal to .30-30?

30-30 Ballistics Chart & Coefficient GunData.org

300 Whisper Page

As you can see from the charts a 150gr .30-30 has almost 4x the energy of a .240gr .SS 300xx round at the muzzle. I am not sure how you come up with the fact they are ballistically equivalent. Once you get out to 400 yards with the .30-30 it is going about the same as a SS .300xx at the muzzle, but has less energy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top