JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wish Ruger would get off their buns and release the Marlin 336 and 1894 already.

Prices for the lever guns are outrageous all-around.

Last Edited:
Who knows? Marlin is not gone forever, as he wrongly asserts. Neither is the mid-70s the golden age of hand craftsmanship. Every indication is that Ruger is correcting the problems associated with WWII tooling used by cash-poor Marlin. The goofball makes it sound like its a pre-'64 Model 94. Unfired? Sure.

Buy the gun, not the story.

Online auctions is a weird environment....
Ive sold a few things on ebay where I got virtally full retail new prices what I paid new. Ive done it enough that I often have no problem buying something just to try out, sell on ebay if it doesnt work out.
People get caught up in the mood of bidding. Not the sellers problem.....

Online auctions is a weird environment....
Ive sold a few things on ebay where I got virtally full retail new prices what I paid new.
This is true.

I have sold quite a bit on Ebay actually and was often surprised at the outcome. A lot depends on what the item is, it's popularity and the bidding 'environment'. The more people that bid it seems the more follow up bids there are that follow.

10 K + however for this is hard to believe. I realize we see it 'closed' at that but I can only think as someone previously said, 'drunk bidding' or missing a decimal, etc.

I thought it was crazy people paying 2K + for new SA Hi Powers on GB but this is still hard to 'wrap my head around' this one.

The part that does make me wonder about the validity of this is the fact he had not reserve on it to start out. I realize there are some guns listed with no reserve but the majority do. Just a thought.

Last Edited:
This is true.

I have sold quite a bit on Ebay actually and was often surprised at the outcome. A lot depends on what the item is, it's popularity and the bidding 'environment'. The more people that bid it seems the more follow up bids there are that follow.

10 K + however for this is hard to believe. I realize we see it 'closed' at that but I can only think as someone previously said, 'drunk bidding' or missing a decimal, etc.

I thought it was crazy people paying 2K + for new SA Hi Powers on GB but this is still hard to 'wrap my head around' this one.

The part that does make me wonder about the validity of this is the fact he had not reserve on it to start out. I realize there are some guns listed with no reserve but the majority do. Just a thought.
The no reserve is kind of odd but i think he knew it would be bid up high, most JM Marlins sell very well even in poor condition. Given the "new" condition I think it exceeded his expectations.... So say the least.

OKYDOKY so auction was .01 start and ending was $10,000. + if you are not a Marlin collector you don't get it. being an armchair Quarterback is oh so easy. obviously 2 or more collectors who know what they are looking at where in a bidding war. last year on gun broker they had 2 Winchester model 70s serial #1 and #2 priced at $1.500,000. did they sell? i don;t know, but would any of you pay that much for 2 guns?

OKYDOKY so auction was .01 start and ending was $10,000. + if you are not a Marlin collector you don't get it. being an armchair Quarterback is oh so easy. obviously 2 or more collectors who know what they are looking at where in a bidding war. last year on gun broker they had 2 Winchester model 70s serial #1 and #2 priced at $1.500,000. did they sell? i don;t know, but would any of you pay that much for 2 guns?
Not a Marlin collector, but definitely a Marlin fan boy.
Please, good sir, show me what I missed. Is it a serial number? Previous owner ( documented)? 1 of 1 ?
Not rattling your cage , I sincerely would like to know.

Not a Marlin collector, but definitely a Marlin fan boy.
Please, good sir, show me what I missed. Is it a serial number? Previous owner ( documented)? 1 of 1 ?
Not rattling your cage , I sincerely would like to know.
i am not a marlin collector so i can't say. but high end collectors live in a different world. do you know how many billionairs there are in the USA? what you missed is you and i are not FILTHY RICH. what is 10,000 to a millionair? pocket change. who can explain what other people do.

i am not a marlin collector so i can't say. but high end collectors live in a different world. do you know how many billionairs there are in the USA? what you missed is you and i are not FILTHY RICH. what is 10,000 to a millionair? pocket change. who can explain what other people do.
Back when I was doing the shows I never made out like this but, I often sold something for so much I kind of felt guilty taking the cash. Some people see something they "just have to have" and can plunk down 1K like I throw down a buck. :s0092:

Like the papa John's pizza guy and his giant statue of eagles mating? Yeah I see that.

28416740-8322135-image-a-102_1589518204490.jpg

Most of us here just look at this and shake our collective heads. No, I wouldn't even pay $1k for the rifle. I have a Marlin 1893 saddle ring carbine made in 1912, that I purchased in 1971 for $75.00. That was from summer ranch work pay. Chambered in 38-55. I had a 336 chambered in 30-30 about 25 years ago, but I sold that to a small packing plant owner for slaughtering beef cattle. He paid me $150.00 for it. I would really like to have an old 336 in 35 Remington, but those are scarce, and prices now are absurd anyway. I think the government is printing way too much money. It's all turning into monopoly money. No worth at the end of the day.

The no reserve is kind of odd but i think he knew it would be bid up high, most JM Marlins sell very well even in poor condition. Given the "new" condition I think it exceeded his expectations.... So say the least.
Reserves are an auction killer. You will always get more money with no reserve, because every jackwagon will throw in a bid because they might get it. If the gun sucks and you have a reserve nobody wants the turd anyways, if the gun is nice people go more crazy with a bit o auction fever. The only reason to reserve is if its uber expensive and no one is looking for that gun but this is incredibly rare.

Model 70's #1 & #2? For $1.5 mill? Well... Possibly, for someone with my love of the old mod 70's and a (much!) fatter bank account than mine..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top