JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A friend asked me the same question a few years ago. We weren't sure the kid would continue hunting, so we weren't looking at spending a lot. Got a Ruger American Youth/Compact in 7mm-08. Killed deer and elk with it. Now that he's grown, they ordered a full size stock.
That is exactly the set up I did for my grandkids to start with. And now that they have their own rifles, I put the full size stock on it foe ME. :)

AR15 with an adjustable stock can change the LOP.

Its a viable option. Especially with the recoil reduction of a semi-auto. But, here is why I don't hunt with them:

1: Chambering a round can be loud. For me, the most reliable way to chamber a semi-auto is to let the bolt fly.

2: They are tall. Not as big a deal if you don't shoot prone.

3: Adjustable stock needs to be set and left alone to make sure you have proper eye relief. But those things get screwed with all the time.

4: There are more nooks and cranies to clean dirt out of.

5: I can't get them as light as I can a bolt gun.

That is exactly the set up I did for my grandkids to start with. And now that they have their own rifles, I put the full size stock on it foe ME. :)

That makes for a handy rifle, for sure. Its great for hunting from a stand or blind for whitetails and still hunting timber for elk and blacktails. Loaded some 120gr Ballistic tips (a really tough 7mm bullet oddly enough). Hardly any recoil, complete exit in a broadside shot on an elk.

7mm 400 yrds

1606715537336~2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews