JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My boys were small at that age too. I learned a lot about youth stocks. a good youth stock is reduced in the wrist not just cut shorter.
I started the boys shooting a 22 marlin Pappose with its 16" barrel and box mag. It was light, short, and what weight there was is back between the hands.
When we started hunting deer and pigs I got them SKS's and 30 carbines. light short and not a lot of recoil.
Another that might work for her is a lever gun in 357 mag. she can practice with 38 spl. and hunt with mag. Good Luck DR

The CZ Scout is a great suggestion, the action is the same as all the 457 models so stocks and barrels can be changed later. We got our daughter a Hennery Youth model, it's a family favorite

The 2 already mentioned have been our family favorites for introductory firearms. Ours all started quite a bit younger, and even my daughter... who is quite petite... had no difficulty with either.

#1 Henry's H001 lever
#2 Ruger 10/22

I do prefer the Henry's for their first rifle. Being a lever it slows down their shots and gives them time to think and practice repositioning and target re-acquisition with each shot.

As they get a little older and have demonstrated reliable safe handling practices, the giggle gun (10/22) is a big hit.

My kids both started out with the Crickett rifles. Honestly, neither of them got a lot of use. When they were in the 11 age range, their favorite firearm wasn't a rifle. It was a Ruger Charger. They would sit at a portable benchrest shooting a metal target that has four circles that flip up, then reset when the top circle is shot. The Charger has a red dot scope on it and a bi-pod. They really liked the simplicity and accuracy, and they burned up a lot of ammo. My youngest is now 25 and the Charger doesn't get out much anymore. I did take it out a couple of times and collected some tasty grouse with it in October.

Edit: They were actually Chipmunk rifles not Crickett.

Last Edited:
Another vote for the cz 457 scout.
Very nice quality, smooth action, and easy to upgrade stock to full size for down the road.
Also simple to swap barrels and make caliber changes between .22, .22 mag, and .17hmr.

Ruger American 22lr Bolt action.

My Daughter was 10 when I put her in a Youth shooting program. The program taught the fundamentals of shooting. Have a bolt action allowed the instructors to have her load one, two or all the way to 10 rounds in order to teach all of the basics. It is also a very adjustable platform with the ability to change out the butt pad to lengthen and shorten the length of pull.

As a bonus, they are open sights with the ability to mount a scope later on, and they are very accurate!

Henry Mini Bolt

The two problems my kids had with single shot rifles like the Cricket are.
First their little fingers have to start the bullets into the chamber. Or in reality I had to hand feed the ammo.
And, being single shot, they are not as much fun as a mag fed rifle. My kids shot them but were looking for rifles like dad has very quickly. DR

Henry 22. It fits smaller people.

happy kid.jpg