JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Every now and again many of us take a gamble on a firearms-related purchase only to find him or herself pleasantly surprised by the results.

A few recent(ish) examples:

• I recently bought a bunch of KCI M1 Carbine magazines. I had been warned off of things made by them, but these work—flawlessly. Ordered some more.
  • When I was snooping around with how to feed the subgun, I tried some newly manufactured double-feed steel magazines (kind of worked), some older single-stack steel magazines (all but one worked fine; one that didn't is scrap metal) and finally some listed as "Zytel single-stack, slightly modified ProMags". There is sooooo much "fail" in the latter description that I was extremely skeptical. But they run like a fricking top. I've lost count on how many rounds I've dumped through them and they just work. Ordered at least two batches and on the lookout for more.
  • My father has poo-poo'd Smith & Wessons over the years. The two wheelguns we have from said are some of the best revolvers I've ever encountered anywhere, and the Model 29 is my favorite handgun of all time.
  • The 10-round magazines for the Ruger 77/44. Expensive, produced by a company with limited customer service abilities, and so chunky could even be used as a improvised weapon by itself. But, damn, they work. Still on the lookout for a Ruger Deerfield to feed off of them.
And there is a crapton more that at the present I cannot recall, but will surely remember as time goes by.

How about you?

Last Edited:
Burris RT-6. My favorite LPVO in the sub-$1000 class and only costs about $300 with a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

Next pleasant surprise was the Steyr AUG. The smoothest shooting 5.56 I own with a very natural point and incredibly durable proprietary magazines. Also very reliable and fun to shoot.

Kci is decent.
And since South Korea used m1 carbines for decades, I reckon the got good at making mags for same.

Pleasant surprises this last year.

Got 2 bakelite 74 mags for peanuts in a modest ammo and mag purchase (nwfa member) . He was simply getting out of the caliber completely.
Got a ton of ruger 10/22 parts in a trade. Enough to where I'm willing to play trigger fairy to anyone who is truly in need. I'm gonna bogart all the bolts I got.
Bought a basically new mav88 in 20ga for under $200 , then the icing...10min. Background check! I don't think I've ever had a BGC come back so fast. And on a Sunday too. Praise the Lorrt.

Best surprise was a S&W 29-2 in nickel 6 1/2" barrel from Rock Island auctions with original wooden box that I bought as a shooter because the pictures were terrible, and the price was at the "shooter" level.

It came pretty quickly and when I opened the box, darn if it wasn't a factory fired-only, new gun.

I'm not a collector, and it was just too too purdy to shoot, so I sold it here last year. S&W made some really gorgeous guns back in the day!

MecGar magazines along with KCI Glock and MP5 mags. Both have worked extremely well. Other is a Hi-point carbine. I have put thousands of rounds through it and its lived in a car trunk and back seat of a truck for the better part of 15 years and has earned my confidence.

Smith EZ in 9mm. Bought it when they first came out. I was/am having issues loading mags
due to creeping arthritis. Fits my hand perfect and from the factory sites were dead on. And
yeah I've got a couple of loaders but they are seldom with me.

Still waiting for my pleasant surprise. I've been burned so many times by gambles, I don't want to buy anything but a sure thing. Costs me more but I'm no longer chronically disappointed.....

A trade. I had a single shot Browning 45-70 for sale. I was cleaning the safe and trying to gather up some money. No bites. Another member had a gun valued at my selling price (mine was priced well below value) and I offered a trade. That was 11 years ago. This one's still not for sale.
Dan Wesson Bobtail 1911. I couldn't believe how well it fit my hand. I shot it and fell in love. I wasn't even that interested in a 1911 at that time. I know better now. It's the right one in the pic.

Ruger and Wesson.jpg

I've always gotten the janky vibe from their products. Do tell about the positives
I've got one of their chrome BCGs that has been used in the same AR for 2 barrels and at least 10k rounds. The chrome is starting to funkify but it otherwise works great. I'll likely replace it with one of their Nitrided ones in time.

Their triggers are pretty damn good for their price.

Recent surprises, a really sweet Colt Diamondback that was even better then the seller had described almost new condition at below retail/collector value!
Won an auction for a First Series MK-1 M-1855 Revolving rifle with side oiler ( un-obtanium) and all it's original accessories, SN#426 for far FAR less then others that fetched far more in worse shape! The Rifle was in far better shape then the many detailed photos suggested, and it's a shooter!

MecGar magazines along with KCI Glock and MP5 mags.
MecGar magazines are a top quality Italian magazine manufacturer. They make the OEM factory magazines for a number of top brands. From their website:
"Mec-Gar is the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) of a variety of popular factory magazines for brands including Beretta, FN Browning, Charles Daly, Colt, CZ, Kel-Tec, Kimber, Remington, Smith & Wesson, STI, Taurus & Walther."

I bought a lot of junk magazines back in the day, before I knew better. I quickly learned to buy only OEM or MecGar.

Attero Arms MRO mount for the AK 💯%

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top