JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You could use the same argument for almost all the classic lever gun cartridges from 30-30 to 45-70. I'll agree that the Whelen is the superior 35 cartridge, but lever guns chambered for it are rare. While the 358 has less power, it is still very effective and a good match for a lever gun.
The 358 makes more sense in semi autos as well but since my chosen hunting rifles are single shots and bolt actions. I will stick with my opinion. The whelen is a superior round.
Then again if I was into levers a nice winchester 88 in 358 would be very nice.

I actually had it and my 1950 Marlin 336A in 35 Remington on here for sale. But with the economy in the toilet no one is making major purchases.

Last Edited:
After some pondering, I've come to the conclusion that there is no "Dream Lever-Gun" for me. In fact I've used/owned/own my basic dream guns- sign of advancing years I suppose. In fact I've ostensibly been thinning the herd the last few years.. hawhaw... and the acquisitive fires of my younger years burn low...
Actually a few years ago I lusted after the Marlin Cowboy rifle- that 9-shot .45-70 behemoth.. but Marlin went belly-up before I could fund the purchase... so much for THAT lever rifle! Ah well, someone else is enjoying it more than I would've, probably.
Meantime, my attention has been drawn by a sporterised Mauser which seriously needs a scope and proper sling...:D

After some pondering, I've come to the conclusion that there is no "Dream Lever-Gun" for me. In fact I've used/owned/own my basic dream guns- sign of advancing years I suppose. In fact I've ostensibly been thinning the herd the last few years.. hawhaw... and the acquisitive fires of my younger years burn low...
Actually a few years ago I lusted after the Marlin Cowboy rifle- that 9-shot .45-70 behemoth.. but Marlin went belly-up before I could fund the purchase... so much for THAT lever rifle! Ah well, someone else is enjoying it more than I would've, probably.
Meantime, my attention has been drawn by a sporterised Mauser which seriously needs a scope and proper sling...:D
The new ruger/Marlin is pretty nice.

There would be several, but they would all (except a couple) be:
  • Octagon 16" barrel
  • Stainless with a black nitride finish
  • Polished/tuned internals
  • Pic rail from rear of receiver to mid barrel, with fold down ghost ring rear sight and front sight would be a mini globe sight. Both sights would have fiber optic tritium insets.
  • Scout scope and/or mini prism 1-1.5X with etched reticle
  • Hogue rubber over molded stock cartridge trap
  • A medium loop lever
  • Take down
The exceptions be the rimless cartridge lever actions would be a Browning BLR takedown in SS with scout scopes. I have this in .308, but I would want one each in .223 and 7.62x39

I got to fondle someone's "Dream Lever Gun" today. At The OAC show. A guy had a Winchester Model 1886 in .45-70. Built 1889. Octagon barrel, crescent butt-stock. A beautiful even patina with a little case coloring left on the reciever. Mmmm BOY! The gentleman commented that he was going to hunt with it this year.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top