JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thought this might interest 1 or 2 people on here.
For those unaware of what goes on in the 50bmg world, there are a couple specialty rounds that have become pretty coveted. Namely the Mk211 Raufoss (white/green tip) and the SLAP(T) rounds. The Raufoss is an explosive round with a tungsten penetrator. The SLAP (Saboted Light Armor Penetrator) and SLAP-T (Saboted Light Armor Penetrator Tracer) are tungsten penetrator rounds fired at very high muzzle velocities of close to 4000 FPS. The Raufoss specifically is easily faked, as the only way to really tell if its real or not is to have a round x-rayed. This is a pretty big deal since they currently run about $100/rd.
On one of the other forums there was some discussion about the Raufoss round, and the topic of x-rays came up. This got me thinking. I've got a couple 50bmg rounds, and access to an x-ray machine, let me try to take some images myself. I found someone locally that had a Raufoss round, so I thought perfect, let me add that to the rounds to be x-rayed. He actually had the SLAP rounds too, so I've pretty much got all the "common" 50bmg rounds to x-ray.

These were the rounds I took images of. With the exception of the silver tip API, I believe they were all factory loaded.
From top to bottom they are, M33 ball, M17 Tracer, API, APIT, Mk211 Raufoss, SLAP, SLAP-T, AMAX

51748915366_f2138afb20_o.jpg

Tracer - API - APIT Here you can see the slightly lighter cavities in the center of the tracer rounds on either end. The dark portion in the center round is a lead cap on the end of the API.
TracerAPSilverAPIT.jpg

Mk211 Raufoss The very light tip is the incendiary, followed by the slightly darker portion in the middle which is the RDX explosive. The very dark area is the tungsten penetrator, with a lead cap at the tail.
Raufoss.jpg

AMAX - SLAP - SLAP-T The aluminum tip of the AMAX can't be seen in the x-ray. The SLAP-T on the right is slightly longer to house the tracer material with a lead cap. I was surprised the penetrator of the SLAP in the center doesn't actually get inserted deeper into the casing.
AMAXSlapSlapT.jpg

Here's a disassembled SLAP round so you can see its parts.
SLAP.jpg

SLAP has an amber sabot, as you can see in the photo, SLAP-T has a reddish sabot

I've seen .50 BMG loaded with .30 cal projectiles with a blue or clear sabot - obviously reloaded ammo, not mil-spec.

I sold all my SLAP ammo to a collector years ago, except one. Sold my Mk211 last year, except one.

Thought this might interest 1 or 2 people on here.
For those unaware of what goes on in the 50bmg world, there are a couple specialty rounds that have become pretty coveted. Namely the Mk211 Raufoss (white/green tip) and the SLAP(T) rounds. The Raufoss is an explosive round with a tungsten penetrator. The SLAP (Saboted Light Armor Penetrator) and SLAP-T (Saboted Light Armor Penetrator Tracer) are tungsten penetrator rounds fired at very high muzzle velocities of close to 4000 FPS. The Raufoss specifically is easily faked, as the only way to really tell if its real or not is to have a round x-rayed. This is a pretty big deal since they currently run about $100/rd.
On one of the other forums there was some discussion about the Raufoss round, and the topic of x-rays came up. This got me thinking. I've got a couple 50bmg rounds, and access to an x-ray machine, let me try to take some images myself. I found someone locally that had a Raufoss round, so I thought perfect, let me add that to the rounds to be x-rayed. He actually had the SLAP rounds too, so I've pretty much got all the "common" 50bmg rounds to x-ray.

These were the rounds I took images of. With the exception of the silver tip API, I believe they were all factory loaded.
From top to bottom they are, M33 ball, M17 Tracer, API, APIT, Mk211 Raufoss, SLAP, SLAP-T, AMAX

View attachment 1097002

Tracer - API - APIT Here you can see the slightly lighter cavities in the center of the tracer rounds on either end. The dark portion in the center round is a lead cap on the end of the API.
View attachment 1097006

Mk211 Raufoss The very light tip is the incendiary, followed by the slightly darker portion in the middle which is the RDX explosive. The very dark area is the tungsten penetrator, with a lead cap at the tail.
View attachment 1097004

AMAX - SLAP - SLAP-T The aluminum tip of the AMAX can't be seen in the x-ray. The SLAP-T on the right is slightly longer to house the tracer material with a lead cap. I was surprised the penetrator of the SLAP in the center doesn't actually get inserted deeper into the casing.
View attachment 1097003

Here's a disassembled SLAP round so you can see its parts.
View attachment 1097005
Not to be mean, but it (kinda) would've been hilarious if the x-rayed images had shown your buddy's Raufoss round to be one of those infamous fakes…….

;):D

Not to be mean, but it (kinda) would've been hilarious if the x-rayed images had shown your buddy's Raufoss round to be one of those infamous fakes…….

;):D
Ya, he knew it was a risk, but it was part of a batch he's had for years. He had already shot some so he wasn't too worried about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top