JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Farm folks from my grandmothers era knew how to extend food life since they didn't have refrigeration. I was ten when they got their first light bulb and it was hanging in the milkin parlor not the house!

Fruit cake is what my grandfather received in WW1 as did my father in WW2 and myself in Viet Nam.
Not the crap with plastic candied fruit in the stores today but real dried fruit, nuts and rum. lasting seemingly forever, if it becomes too dried out just wrap it up in a dish towel soaked in rum and slide it in a gallon glass jar for a week or so in a dark pantry, it will be good to go.
Even as a kid I enjoyed it (I'm sure the rum helped)
Today most will cringe at the thought of fruitcake, but when you are bleak, tired and feeling forgotten, it is manna from heaven.

We have a recipe for an eggless chocolate cake that came across the Oregon Trail. We call it "Crazy Cake" because of the large amount of walnuts in it!

Fruit Cake!!! YUMMM! :s0132::s0132::s0132:

i remember eating some of those recipes , I still like fruit cake but good fruit cake is hard to find, if I remember right grandma made it in a brown paper bag or at least it was in a brown paper bag when I got my share,

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top