JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would stocked handguns be more popular sans annoying laws?

• Yes, absolutely! Because ...

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Eh, yes, more common, but not wildly popular.

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Doubtful any major impact.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • No. Not enough practical value or other reason.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • No idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (gasp!) Sounds like a shoulder thing that goes up!

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
The idea of taking a handgun and slapping a stock on it to make it a little carbine is nothing new. There are examples floating around in both the flintlock and percussion era and I've even seen at least one Volcanic so equipped. In the very late nineteenth through the early twentieth centuries, the set up appears to be more common, and was adopted by several powers. Mauser C/96 and various derivatives of said, the venerable Browning Hi-Power, a number of European machine-pistols, even some Smith & Wesson revolvers, etc. were around and some were quite popular by standing armies, law enforcement agencies, and private citizens.

Then, for various reasons, the concept faded, though it occasionally pops up in the present era. While there are likely practical reasons, a major factor in this nation is likely the legal status. NFA34 tightly regulated said and, according to the inflation calculator, $200 was around $4,498.80 in 1934 dollars; putting it out out of reach for many buyers in the private sector. Later, when CCW/CHL arrived, many states allowed handguns, but not rifles to be covered by said.

So, what say you, would the stocked pistol concept be more popular among civilian shooters now sans obnoxious laws or would the idea have, largely, just faded away anyway?

according to the inflation calculator, $200 was around $4,498.80 in 1934 dollars
Isn't this going the wrong direction? I think $8 or $9 in 1934 would buy what you would pay $200 for today. Or am I confused?

ETA: I think I was confused. You must be saying it was still $200 back then which is the equivalent of $4,498 now. That sentence just didn't flow for me. LOL

Last Edited:
Without F/A or burst capability it's still a gimmick. Rangetoy or LARPing appeal only.
What is "LARPing appeal"?
Isn't this going the wrong direction? I think $8 or $9 in 1934 would buy what you would pay $200 for today. Or am I confused?
Looks like syntax fail on my wording. According to the CPI calculator, two c-notes back then had the same buying power as the larger figure today. Accurate? Maybe. The point is the tax stamp is only a mild annoyance now, but it was a much bigger deal back in the day.

What is "LARPing appeal"?

Looks like syntax fail on my wording. According to the CPI calculator, two c-notes back then had the same buying power as the larger figure today. Accurate? Maybe. The point is the tax stamp is only a mild annoyance now, but it was some serious bread back in the day.
LOL. While you were posting this, I was editing my post.

44wxrv.jpg

I voted "more common, but not wildly popular". I've always found them interesting, but not interesting enough to want to purchase. I do think that rifle Browning makes that is a Buckmark with a stock and longer barrel is appealing to the eye, but even with a shorter barrel it wouldn't have me reaching for my wallet.

I think if King George would leave everyone alone, more people would eventually be using braced/stocked pistols for home defense. Probably not a huge slice of the home-defense-pie, but more than now.

With rail-mounted lights, lasers, and optics - and minimal recoil - even Grandma can be a force to be reckoned with. Put a CZ Scorpion Micro with a 50-round drum in her hands, show her where the safety is, and let her go to work.

Last Edited:
Had a colt 1860 copy (uberti) that came with one.
Since it's not a cartridge gun, no stamp required.
I tried it with the stock.
And ended up removing it till it was sold a couple of years later.

I think if King George would leave everyone alone, more people would eventually be using braced/stocked pistols for home defense. Probably not a huge slice of the home-defense-pie, but more than now.

With rail-mounted lights, lasers, and optics - and minimal recoil - even Grandma can be a force to be reckoned with. Put a CZ Scorpion Micro with a 50-round drum in her hands, show her where the safety is, and let her go to work.
That last sentence made me laugh. 👍

I'd own quite a few, even with it being a larping range toy. That one wired turned into an SBR is pretty neat looking

I'd own quite a few
I hear you. If it wasn't for the regulatory BS, we might own more than the couple (an SBR and a machine-pistol) presently. I occasionally still have a fleeting idea of a wire-stocked wheelgun, but not enough to bother. Maybe after life because less insane. Or not.

The NFA is patently unconstitutional and more than a little stupid.

It should fall when challenged against Bruen (if SCOTUS adheres to their own ruling...50/50 on that one) but it's a lot further down on the priority list compared to AWB's, mag capacity, CCW, etc.

Assuming it did fall, however, I don't know if you would necessarily see a huge increase in the actual attaching of a stock to a pistol...cause much of that is kinda gimmicky. But I certainly think you would see a lot more purpose built, short barreled PCC's and rifles.

The NFA is patently unconstitutional and more than a little stupid.

It should fall when challenged against Bruen (if SCOTUS adheres to their own ruling...50/50 on that one) but it's a lot further down on the priority list compared to AWB's, mag capacity, CCW, etc.

Assuming it did fall, however, I don't know if you would necessarily see a huge increase in the actual attaching of a stock to a pistol...cause much of that is kinda gimmicky. But I certainly think you would see a lot more purpose built, short barreled PCC's and rifles.
A pistol with a stock is no more a gimmick than a short PCC. In fact, they may be ballistically identical.

I don't remember ever letting someone try a stocked handgun who did not have a huge smile on their face after trying it. FAR easier to be accurate and just plain fun. For home defense they would really shine. One of the compact jobs with a can on it? Almost worth the $400 to me. If I could just go into a store and buy the stamp? I would already have at least one set up like this. The stamp cost along with the hoops is the only reason I do not. If I could just walk in and buy the damn thing the $400 would no longer mean much to me. If they did away with the stamps altogether? I know a LOT more people would be playing with one.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top