JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would stocked handguns be more popular sans annoying laws?

• Yes, absolutely! Because ...

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Eh, yes, more common, but not wildly popular.

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Doubtful any major impact.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • No. Not enough practical value or other reason.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • No idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (gasp!) Sounds like a shoulder thing that goes up!

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
In my experience a brace or equivalent triples the range you can make accurate hits and gives a huge increase in accuracy at close range. So in terms of real world effectiveness there is no question imo of the benefit of using stabilization.

Don't know about popularity though, that's not based on effectiveness for a lot of poeple. It's more similar to fashion where people are influenced by fads, people looking to "fit in", and even closed-mindedness of something new and so forth.

The biggest single benefit of braces in terms of application I could see would be for law enforcement where they have to have it small enough to carry but may not have enough training to be a really good shot offhand when under duress. A brace woudl help them tremendously Imo. But those same factors of "what is fashionable at the time", afraid of the new etc factors probably play a huge role in what police apartments adopt I would guess, but just a guess.

Everything old
Is new again

4EA724A6-6D42-4474-8734-C3F07AC4C93C.png
A786D517-463F-4ECE-B328-F3F94347FE96.jpeg

Last Edited:
Voting doubtful for any major change. Personally, the prospect of moving the out of battery boom spot closer to my cheek doesn't excite me.

If the laws went away, there wouldn't be much use for distinguishing a stocked pistol vs an SBR though…and that sure would be nice.

Something to try: Crosman 1377/22 converted to a carbine configuration. It can make a difference in accuracy on tree rats! Oh yeah, adding a scope or red dot enhances it.
I use my suppressed marauder pistol for varmints with scope and brace and it makes a huge difference in accuracy. I attached a small piece of pic rail to the back which allows it to take any 1913 brace (I use folding brace). Beats the heck out of crosman's carbine stock.

Used to have a 2040 with lothar Walther 11" .177 barrel. With no brace I used it bench rested 100% of the time. That thing was same hole accurate at 20 yards. However unless you are using a brace or bench rested, that supreme accuracy is wiped out because you can't hold it steady enough to where mechanical accuracy is the limiting factor vs ability to hold it steady.

Last Edited:
I hear you. If it wasn't for the regulatory BS, we might own more than the couple (an SBR and a machine-pistol) presently. I occasionally still have a fleeting idea of a wire-stocked wheelgun, but not enough to bother. Maybe after life because less insane. Or not.
I'd have one for the Desert Eagle and some revolvers.

I admit, I would also put a full length stock on a NAA Mini revolver just for the laughs. (and I may yet form 1 that) And I keep wanting to do this with a revolver or two. (Ruger blackhawk and redhawk) Must wait till post move.

Last Edited:
I think compact semi-auto variations of subguns would become way more popular for home defense if stocks (and VFGs) didn't require the hoops. It enables someone of average skill to accurately engage a threat far quicker and at far greater distances than they could otherwise with a pistol. That and it's hard to beat something as short as an MP5K or Uzi for room clearing.

Decades ago, I had wooden stocks for Mauser C96 pistols, also one flat board stock for P.08 Luger pistol. We didn't bother with paperwork then; I don't think there was much interest in such things at that time beyond collectors. In use, I didn't find the ones I've mentioned to be huge performance enhancers. The length of pull on the C96 stock was too short for my longer arms, I was scrunched up holding it and more concentrating on that problem than marksmanship. Oh, and on that pistol design, you have to hold it in a way that prevents your getting hit by the hammer. I've never owned the Canadian Inglis stock, but I've imagined that it wouldn't be much better in application than the C96 wood. In my limited experience. I'm sure there are better designs than these that I've cited.

Seeme like those glock-ish B+T pistols with the tiny aimpoint and the wire stock are kind of a thing now.
To me the b&t is basically a more refined version of what we had before. The recover tactical Fe is really pretty similar but plastic. Also no way to mount a red dot much less a non-moving red dot (without attaching a pretty goofy adapter anyway).

The b&t seems to be really well thought out and is aluminum. That single point hand screw in the front is pretty amazing design (and typical Swiss design, super simple and only what needs to be there).

Here is a pic of the recover tactical one for reference. I have it but don't like it that much. Endo tactical and flux brace are both better shooting experiences imo. I love that recover tactical front mag hokder though. That thing is a excellent and inexpensive to boot. The b&t chassis with red dot and the recover tactical front mag holder would be a pretty sweet combo. If I get one I'll test out that combo vs mp5 clones to compare. Looks pretty stable on the Iraq veteran 8888 video above fwiw.

A2EAA99F-AD36-4313-9D3B-2470AD6A25C8.png

Last Edited:
To me the b&t is basically a more refined version of what we had before. The recover tactical Fe is really pretty similar but plastic. Also no way to mount a red dot much less a non-moving red dot (without attaching a pretty goofy adapter anyway).

The b&t seems to be really well thought out and is aluminum. That single point hand screw in the front is pretty amazing design (and typical Swiss design, super simple and only what needs to be there).

Here is a pic of the recover tactical one for reference. I have it but don't like it that much. Endo tactical and flux brace are both better shooting experiences imo. I love that recover tactical front mag hokder though. That thing is a excellent and inexpensive to boot. The b&t chassis with red dot and the recover tactical front mag holder would be a pretty sweet combo. If I get one I'll test out that combo vs mp5 clones to compare. Looks pretty stable on the Iraq veteran 8888 video above fwiw.

View attachment 1374520
The Recover is one of the better PDW chassis options IMO. Attachment of the chassis to the frame is much tighter, and it's way more compact than some of the other alternatives out there (Roni, MCK, etc). Don't have a Flux chassis to compare it to, but the Recover is a fraction of the price and fits more models than the Flux while providing very similar capability.

With the Recover I am able to get more accurate hits on target faster and more consistently. While the benefit is slight at close range, it's noticeable when engaging targets at 10 yards and beyond. Recoil impulses aren't super comfortable, so it would definitely be better with a stock.

The only complaints I have with the Recover system are the optics rail and the hinge pin on the folding mechanism. The optics rail overhangs the slide and only connects to the chassis on one side, so there's quite a bit of play in it. If they made it attach on both sides it would be much more stable. I haven't experienced any zero loss yet, but I also haven't thrown it around a lot. The hinge is a simple locking pin with retaining ring, and is not adjustable. Over time I've noticed the hinge joint starts to flex and lockup loosens a bit, so I think it would be better to have a threaded option you could tighten or loosen to control how much play is in the hinge.

in terms of practicality it's not my first choice of defensive weapon, but it's a good option to have available. I could see it being useful in a few scenarios:
  • It could work well for couples who don't have a lot of guns, but have a "bedside" gun that both partners want to be able to use. That third point of contact would help inexperienced shooters and those who are recoil sensitive get good hits, especially if it has a proper stock instead of a brace.
  • It could also be a handy thing to have in a bug out bag to enable more accurate handgun usage, especially if the other hand is injured.
  • It could be used as a backpack gun / truck gun. It can be kept/carried discreetly in small sling bag along with a handful of spare 30rd mags and take up very little space. There are admittedly few situations where such a weapon would be necessary, but I wouldn't mind having it on hand if having to walk or drive through an area with violent protest activity or widespread social unrest.
  • It could be useful for close protection details that want to have a discreet subgun-like weapon but are unable for whatever reason to procure proper subguns. Examples may be when traveling with a protectee, or if a sudden need to increase defensive posture is identified.

The Recover is one of the better PDW chassis options IMO. Attachment of the chassis to the frame is much tighter, and it's way more compact than some of the other alternatives out there (Roni, MCK, etc). Don't have a Flux chassis to compare it to, but the Recover is a fraction of the price and fits more models than the Flux while providing very similar capability.

With the Recover I am able to get more accurate hits on target faster and more consistently. While the benefit is slight at close range, it's noticeable when engaging targets at 10 yards and beyond. Recoil impulses aren't super comfortable, so it would definitely be better with a stock.

The only complaints I have with the Recover system are the optics rail and the hinge pin on the folding mechanism. The optics rail overhangs the slide and only connects to the chassis on one side, so there's quite a bit of play in it. If they made it attach on both sides it would be much more stable. I haven't experienced any zero loss yet, but I also haven't thrown it around a lot. The hinge is a simple locking pin with retaining ring, and is not adjustable. Over time I've noticed the hinge joint starts to flex and lockup loosens a bit, so I think it would be better to have a threaded option you could tighten or loosen to control how much play is in the hinge.

in terms of practicality it's not my first choice of defensive weapon, but it's a good option to have available. I could see it being useful in a few scenarios:
  • It could work well for couples who don't have a lot of guns, but have a "bedside" gun that both partners want to be able to use. That third point of contact would help inexperienced shooters and those who are recoil sensitive get good hits, especially if it has a proper stock instead of a brace.
  • It could also be a handy thing to have in a bug out bag to enable more accurate handgun usage, especially if the other hand is injured.
  • It could be used as a backpack gun / truck gun. It can be kept/carried discreetly in small sling bag along with a handful of spare 30rd mags and take up very little space. There are admittedly few situations where such a weapon would be necessary, but I wouldn't mind having it on hand if having to walk or drive through an area with violent protest activity or widespread social unrest.
  • It could be useful for close protection details that want to have a discreet subgun-like weapon but are unable for whatever reason to procure proper subguns. Examples may be when traveling with a protectee, or if a sudden need to increase defensive posture is identified.
That's a good comparison to subguns. Subguns do everything better but they are bigger and heavier. Glock/p320 is like an iPhone, Glock plus minimalist brace/chassis is kinda like iPad, subgun is like laptop, carbine/rifle is like desktop computer. They get more capable and have more features as size and weight go up, at the expense of portability, convenience, concealability, etc. I'm really curious how the b&t compares head-to-head against subguns shooting multiple targets quickly.

I voted the "Eh , yes , more common but not wildly popular" option.
Simply because some folks will buy anything.... :D

In the 19th century and earlier this was a fairly common thing , due to the firearms of the time...and how they were used.
Nowadays with pistol caliber carbines and lever actions in revolver cartridges I don't think that a shoulder stocked pistol or revolver would be as popular , as the two aforementioned firearms.
Andy

Without F/A or burst capability it's still a gimmick.
Beyond muzzle flip a gimmick? I beg to differ;
I might have :rolleyes: C clamped this modified 4" barreled NAA 22 mag:
IMGP0886.JPG now with trigger extension MG010.jpg
to a piece of thin wood to simulate a stock, and might have gone from easily hitting a six inch plate at 50 yards, to most every time at a hundred yards which maybe I could not do before. To me, proving its value as a pretty fair food getting back packing or survival tool. Though as it stands, does well to 50 yards.
With a fold up attachable stock, it would easily fit in a light 8" package and give me a 14 1/2 in lop to boot.
Like silencers, its a crying shame their illegal when I see neither as any sort of increased threat to anyone cept maybe rabbits and squirrels.

Beyond muzzle flip a gimmick? I beg to differ;
I might have :rolleyes: C clamped this modified 4" barreled NAA 22 mag:
View attachment 1489247 now with trigger extension View attachment 1489252
to a piece of thin wood to simulate a stock, and might have gone from easily hitting a six inch plate at 50 yards, to most every time at a hundred yards which maybe I could not do before. To me, proving its value as a pretty fair food getting back packing or survival tool. Though as it stands, does well to 50 yards.
With a fold up attachable stock, it would easily fit in a light 8" package and give me a 14 1/2 in lop to boot.
Like silencers, its a crying shame their illegal when I see neither as any sort of increased threat to anyone cept maybe rabbits and squirrels.
I dig your rig.
My comment was aimed squarely at short barreled AR,AK , PCC , or mag fed pistols in chassis arrangements.

If I could have a stocked handgun with no tax stamp bull. I think I would very much like to put a Universal Enforcer .30 carbine in a M1A1 stock (the paratrooper M1 carbine stock) I think that would be fun. AND REALLY REALLY LOUD based on my Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine with the 7.5" barrel

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top