JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Of course, but when others, (darn few dare if they know me) attempt to tell me 'what to do' regarding...anything, I rarely hesitate to tell them (to put it politely) to shove off...

I'm made unhappy sir with your choices...ah, I need a good laugh.

Now, go away boy, ya botha me....

Labeling naysayers and skeptics is also ignorant/arrogant. I've heard plenty of dieticians proclaim that Keto is a fad diet and is also unhealthy to stay on, similar to the Atkins diet. Most professional dieticians will tell a person to eat fairly normally, but a balanced diet of nutricious foods, and eat less (because we all overeat). They will say that one can have a blow it meal once in awhile, and then get back to normal eating habits. IIRC it is much harder to get back to a trend diet.

IMO Keto will go the way of The Mediterranean Diet, The South Beach Diet, The Atkins Diet, The Carb Addicts Diet, The Nutrisystem Diet, The Mayo Clinic Diet, The Paleo Diet, The MIND Diet, The Fruitarian Diet, The Kangatarian Diet, The 5:2 Diet, The Cookie Diet, The Maker's Diet, The Hacker's Diet, The Inedia Diet, The Dukan Diet, The Kimkins Diet, The Ideal Protein Diet, The Stillman Diet, The Beverly Hills Diet, The Grapefruit Diet, The Cabbage Soup Diet, The Subway Diet (leads to chimo), The Monotrophic Diet, The Master Cleanse Diet, or any of 100 or more... need I go on? I highly recommend that if one wants to eat healthy, do so in consultation with a professional, not somebody that has a book, infomercial, website, or supplements.

A person that gets their diet prescribed via reading a book, or watching TV, or worse yet, from the health food and health supplement industry, is unconsciously ignorant IMO. At the very least, misinformed. The garbage/info those sources peddle has been debunked many times over. Read sometime the analysis of websites like Healthnutnews.com, it's pretty scary what those liars are advising... follow the green, it's all about making $$$. Books on diets sell, vitamin supplements sell. I know, my wife buys enough supplements each month that we can barely afford to eat.

For my medical conditions, I do need to eat less carbs. I'm also supposed to eat less fat. I'm also supposed to eat less protein. Yeah, that leaves cardboard tasting veggies.

If you are saddened by my saying to leave me alone to live happy for a few more years, like my dad did, that's my biz alone. Too durned bad. I've had diabetes for 15 years and I'm still here, still walking around. I don't need somebody looking down on me for unhealthy eating. Food snobs like one of my so-called friends... I bet I outlive him!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

When today's trends take fruit, I probably don't want to be here anyway.

Signed,

Mouth Breather
I heard beast mold is where it's at.

No idea what you're trying to say or if just trying to be insulting, generally?

What Is the Ketogenic Diet? The Keto Diet Explained

Keto is not a "fad diet". It is basically just avoiding carbohydrates. I've been doing it since last October and lost 30+ lbs. in two months. Since December, I have been just eating normally and avoiding bad foods high in carbs. Ate a bunch of bad food last weekend.

You are on a diet. Everyone is on a diet. We make choices every day as to what types of food we eat and how much. Disparaging someone for having a weekend of unhealthy eating and declaring their normal choices of food as a "fad" seems disingenuous.

Sadly I have too long been on the "see food diet" :) Seriously though a few of my coworkers have been doing the Keto thing for a while now and damned if it is not working for them. Have watched as they are getting slimmer. Many of them are in my age range so they of course feel a lot better. As we get older dropping 30-50 pounds is of course going to feel a hell of a lot better. Been tempting to give it a shot. I don't eat super bad but sure as hell could do a lot better.

I've been told by smokers and drinkers and pot users that diet pop and fast food will kill me.

Just like the government, everybody wants to tell everybody else what they should be doing.
:s0146:

But the guys telling everybody else what to do, don't want anybody telling them what to do.
:s0013:

AA. I have lost some friends over the years over AA. Damn it's great for those who it works for. The only problem I have had is so many I have known think the entire world is a drunk. I always got the impression that what it boiled down to is yes they had a problem. So their answer all too often seems to be to tell EVERYONE they have a problem too. Many times it got like being around a damn Amway sales person. I would just stop having anything to do with some of them since every time they saw me have a beer they would start in on how i needed to come to a meeting. If it works for them, fantastic, but leave me alone while I enjoy my damn beer. :)

AA. I have lost some friends over the years over AA. Damn it's great for those who it works for. The only problem I have had is so many I have known think the entire world is a drunk. I always got the impression that what it boiled down to is yes they had a problem. So their answer all too often seems to be to tell EVERYONE they have a problem too. Many times it got like being around a damn Amway sales person. I would just stop having anything to do with some of them since every time they saw me have a beer they would start in on how i needed to come to a meeting. If it works for them, fantastic, but leave me alone while I enjoy my damn beer. :)
Can I like this twice? My brother is a multi DUI "drunk", luckily he hasn't killed anyone. He's sober now and give me a guilt trip for having a beer. I'm all about moderation, not like a drunk.

Regarding the whole diet thing.....it's easy. Burn more calories than you consume. There you go. No fancy eating required.

Oh, and don't eat after 7pm. Going to bed hungry is an almost guaranteed way to lose weight.

Can I like this twice? My brother is a multi DUI "drunk", luckily he hasn't killed anyone. He's sober now and give me a guilt trip for having a beer. I'm all about moderation, not like a drunk.

I think some who get addicted to something, drink, gambling, whatever, see it as a weakness. Like something is wrong with them and it's embarrassing. So to deal with it they tell themselves that everyone has the same problem, it can't just be them. That you can sit home, have a beer and enjoy it means you will get drunk, get in your car, and drive hammered. I guess if the program saves a life and changes them, fantastic. Many of them just need to learn not everyone has a beer, then can't stop.

AA is a cult.

Don't know if I would go that far but, to be honest I have never been to a meeting. So all I know of it is what I see from members. I do have to admit they remind me of some of the people who wake me up to stand at my door and want to sell me "god". As I mentioned if it takes some drunk and gets them their life back? Hey great, I can be all in on that. I have known many who I had no idea were members or had used them to stop. Would find out in passing, often after knowing them years. So not all of them act like that but damn if many have not bothered me to the point I just did not want to be around them any more.

Regarding the whole diet thing.....it's easy. Burn more calories than you consume. There you go. No fancy eating required.

Oh, and don't eat after 7pm. Going to bed hungry is an almost guaranteed way to lose weight.

That is of course the real thing there, if you burn more than you take in, you can't gain weight. I tend to not poke fun at most who are over since I am. Unless they are just over the top to the point they can no longer care for themselves, or they try to make lame excuses that it is a ...........fill in the blank thing. That they don't eat and still gain. This is stupid. When I see people who come to a hospital so heavy they can't walk I wonder what the hell is wrong with the family. I always say if it was me? The person would get a few bottles of ensure a day. Tell them when you can get off the bed and walk to the kitchen you can have more.

There are essential Protiens and essential Fats for a human to live. There is not an essential carb and we didn't eat things like oats/wheat until very recently in our long history on the earth.

Joe13, I like you too!

I disagree that humans didn't eat cereal grains until recently. Humans were designed as omnivores, and we were hunter/gatherers. Note the "gatherer" portion. I think that if we look at the stomach contents of ancient mummies, we find plenty of grains.

Humans need all three foods, fats for making hormones etc, proteins for muscle, carbs for energy. Strict low carb diets work by converting the bodies natural energy making machinery to burn more fat, less carb. This strikes me as unnatural. And believe me when I say that I've tried low carb and no carb. Yes, I lost weight. The rebound effect that strikes down most people on those kind of diets is real and has long been documented and warned about. We like pie and other sweets... one piece of pie and the cravings that result knock most people back into obesity.

However, I'm glad it works for you. I'm a food addict, a fat addict, and a carb addict, and can understand cravings. Most people that eat fairly normal don't understand and think it's a mental weakness. I'm sure there is a portion that is mental, but I'm also sure that some of it is body chemistry changes from wrong eating for a long period of time. The part of Keto that I don't understand is how as an insulin dependent diabetic, my pancreas does not produce insulin any more, how ketoacidosis fits in since it is highly dangerous to diabetics. Don't diabetics that go into fat-burning mode risk ketoacidosis?

IMO, today people eat too many sweets, too many packaged foods, too much fast food, and too much food, period. That doesn't mean strict prohibition of those things is healthy. In that case one is too obsessed with food. Sinning then becomes a drive. The jar of candy next to the chair becomes a guilty pleasure. The diet that makes sense is to eat as healthy as one can, avoid as many unhealthy foods as one can, and recover from blow it meals as quickly as possible. I realize it's hard to battle cravings, but diets most often fail. It's written in our history and research proves it.

The message is don't diet, just try to eat the best one can. Make slow changes to eating patterns. Get some exercise, eat like our moms were looking. Mom always knew best! Mom would allow a sweet, or a fatty burger/fries from time to time, then get back to normal meals. We didn't eat packaged foods. We didn't eat our fill of sweets. We weren't allowed to gorge. The problem is that when some of us become adults and can have everything we want, we spoil ourselves over too many years. The body changes, and we don't realize we want quick/easy changes to get ourselves back to what we were in our youths.

A healthy body comes in many sizes and shapes... too many people are vain and think they need to look like what the health and exercise industry pushes... as tho we were all still in our 20s.

Last Edited:
I'm not that old but even when I was a kid there wasn't such a thing as child diabetes - it's a thing now. I find it highly suspicious that most doctors continue to prescribe the 'American diet' with the food pyramid I grew up with and no one gets better from it. If you want to follow money (which I think is wise) then why do doctors put you on medications that don't fix you, they only continue to kill you slowly? Then give you more medications to combat the side effects of the other meds they gave you and on it goes on forever.

I understand what you are saying. But I have to disclose that I have become sensitized and resentful of the constant drumbeat of the healthnut industry against "big pharma" etc, which is really just anti-corporate. Doctors don't fix you, they "treat" you. Only you can "fix" you, to whatever extent that is even possible.

IMO childhood obesity wasn't common because we had real parents that didn't allow unhealthy eating. Mom was home to cook nutricious meals, there to keep us out of the fridge. Today, I see parents that order fast food almost every night, make pre-packaged meals full of salt and additives, allow kids to raid the fridge whenever the kid wants, have lattes before school, and both work so the kid eats what he/she wants when they come home from school. School lunches they feed my grandkids are full of salt, fat, and sweets. Chocolate milk, really???

Doctors are not the best source to get dietary advice, their training/education on that is very small. They roll pills, period. Just try to find a doctor that knows natural remedies, there aren't many. For eating disorders, weight control, healthy eating, it's better to rely on a professional dietician. The absolute worst place to get dietary advice is from health nuts on social media... drives me nuts!!! Rabid, fanatical, most with books to sell or agendas to push.

Last Edited:
Too many people eat just for pleasure, even when they aren't really hungry. To me, food is just something I need to survive. I'm ok feeling hungry, and I don't need to run out and stuff myself full of food every few hours. I eat one large meal a day, that's it. A small amount of protein in the evening and I'm good. No food past 7. If I'm a little hungry after 7? Blah, I'll live. Even at that, my 6'1" 220 pound shell is considered overweight by doctor's charts. But at 44, I've managed to never have a roll over my belt.

Doctors are not the best source to get dietary advice, their training/education on that is very small. They roll pills, period. Try to find a doctor that knows natural remedies. Don't go there. Better to rely on a professional dietician. But the worst place to get dietary advice is from health nuts on social media... drives me nuts!!! Rabid, fanatical, most with books to sell or agendas to push.

I agree. The Doctor I follow the most in an interview talks about how he couldn't understand why his patients were not getting better and assumed they were "cheating". He also gained a bunch of weight and 'knew' he was following the program he was taught and still not seeing results - being low fat and negative caloric intake.

He thought he may have missed something and went to the attic where his med school books and notes were. He came back down
With a small file of half a semester of notes - way less then he was expecting.

I'll talk about this in a different thread so this can get back on track, but the moral is that he did research into actual studies and read the whole things - not just the cliff notes and found that we have all been lied too for years.

Again I'll link this doctor and some pertinent videos with links in them to actual scientific studies.

I found them fascinating and after reviewing the studies have come to trust what this Doctor is saying.

He does have a few books out but has only even mentioned them a few times out of the hundreds of videos I've watched and not tried to hard sell them at all.

Humans need all three foods, fats for making hormones etc, proteins for muscle, carbs for energy. Strict low carb diets work by converting the bodies natural energy making machinery to burn more fat, less carb. This strikes me as unnatural. And believe me when I say that I've tried low carb and no carb. Yes, I lost weight. The rebound effect that strikes down most people on those kind of diets is real and has long been documented and warned about. We like pie and other sweets... one piece of pie and the cravings that result knock most people back into obesity.

Only real fast.. our bodies run on glycogen. Carbs, fats and proteins are all converted to glycogen for the body to use as fuel.

We HAVE to have Protiens and Fats - essential functions and organs (like our brain) need good fats in order to function.

The body (most people depending on your genetic history) CAN live without a single carb indefinitely, and suffer no negitive side effects.

I get you on the cravings and being food dependent - right there with you;).

Instead of saying F it I'm going to order a pizza, I instead figure out how to make a pizza that fits my nutritional choices.

Same goes for deserts. There are an amazing amount of substitutes that others have made into recipes and all I have to do is find the one that I think tastes the best and satisfies my 'craving'. Eating cookie dough without portioning it without guilt and just stopping when I'm full is amazing for me.

I never go off diet and for the first time ever, I'm leaving food in my fridge at work that I didn't eat from the day because I was full and my body wasn't begging me for more. That was the worst part about carbs for me, if a little is good then I may as well have a lot since I'm cheating anyway.

Lastly, I misunderstood and thought you were a type 2 diabetic and not type one. I will link a video about it in my keto thread and tag you. I'm not pushing any diet but you might find the information interesting.

I'll bounce from this thread since I've said what I wanted to and appreciate your response - you have my continued respect and I look forward to our future conversations about everything:cool:

I'm late to this thread. I was just going to comment about Burger King. Our local one is fairly clean and friendly (rural town), but I recently stopped at one in Portland, by Mall 205, and it was positively nasty. The kids talked me into going there because I really try to avoid fast food otherwise. It made me appreciate how good we have it generally, in our more rural community.

As to diet and all that I can't say much; I'm no expert. It is interesting to me though, just how hard it is to change old habits and addictions. I'm not in bad shape or particularly overweight, but as I close in on the half-century mark I know full well that I really need to improve my diet and get more exercise. I know I should, and I intend to, but I don't. I'll start tomorrow. No really I will. :)

My first step, the first battle to win, is with sugary drinks. I need to drink plenty of water every day and cut out the soda, sweet tea, and juice. A can of Coke once in a while is fine, but a giant fountain drink every day is pure poison!

My boss at work has been trying to quit smoking for years. He knows it's going to kill him, but when he's stressed he just needs a cigarette. He smokes a lot. Stress is a killer too.

My mom has always been an anti-smoking extremist. I remember she was always on my aunt to stop. She would constantly tell her those %#&$ cigarettes were going to kill her. My aunt would always retort that at least she would die happy.

She didn't. She passed away just a few months ago after a prolonged battle with esophageal cancer. It was a terrible, terrible way to go. :(

There's something about human nature; ingrained habits are so strong that they will even override our basic survival instinct. To say that change is hard is often a real understatement.

After reading all this hooplah in the topic, it's all good.
I don't go around amongst people, and base any opinion to judgment.

It's what's inside that matters most to me.
I do judge people in the few words they say to me or someone else.
At that point, they're on their own what becomes of our meeting.
Or not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads