JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since "finishes" aren't covered under the definition of "occasional", maybe they need to have a FFL?

I know this may be semantics, but I don't consider myself a 'gunsmith' per se. I think of myself as more of an advanced armorer, if there is such a thing.

I don't do machine or finish work, which I think are the staples of a 'smith. I mostly do reliability, troubleshooting, and upgrade work.

I know this may be semantics, but I don't consider myself a 'gunsmith' per se. I think of myself as more of an advanced armorer, if there is such a thing.
Sounds like a good assessment. I'm the same way.

I have only met a few "True" gunsmiths in my life. Those are the guys that can take a solid block of metal and a steel rod and turn them into match-grade rifles.

Most I have met are in Germany. Takes about 10+ years (schooling and working as an apprentice) to actually become a "Gunsmith".

I don't think the gunsmithing schools here teach much more than parts replacement.

If ATF is going regulate 'gunsmiths' and the biz, then I think they should have standards for them.

I have met a few over the years, some to the extent you speak of. The guy locally here that owns Schuemann Barrels, worked on the F-22 project before buying the company, he's a walking micrometer and Bridgeport all rolled into one.

same here. I love working on some old guns and been doing some repairs on some friends guns, but i'm also o3 C&R licensed. so i need to log them every time i get a new gun to keep it all legal.

What's that old saying...

'Beware of those that will reward us for our kindness'

Or:

No good deed goes unpunished

It is also not legal for a non licensee to build a weapon from scratch for someone else.. as in an AK Build from a "flat". You have to do the actual work yourself as the owner/builder, although others can give advice and assist. If I am missing anything someone here will correct it

I had to get a 01 license to cover general repairs, then stepped up to a 07 to cover parkerizing and modifying firearms, such as sporterizing a miltary firearm.

Anything kept over night gets logged into the book!

Thats a very good way to get started into the business is to do it for friends and family first (thats what I did). And if you do a good job and like the work, look into getting your ffl and branching out.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top