JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As it pertains to guns....." weapon system ". Every gun nowdays is a weapon system. Those guns that are not are often referred to as a.... " platform ". I hate both those words. As far as hunting and fishing words go my least favorite is using the word " harvest " in place of the word kill. Why can't we just say kill ? I refuse to use any of those words or phrases. I'm certain there are others....that's just all my tired brain can cough up right now. I also hate how the current measure of any guns worth is now established by how much bubblegum....i.e. laser, lights, can openers, etc you can hang off your gun. The picatinny rail has now covered every square inch of rifle except where the bullets come out. I'd be embarrassed to be seen by my enemy, frankly. I know some of you guys like this stuff, and I'm cool with that. I'm totally supportive of anybody who owns anything that squirts bullets, no matter how ugly their gun is, but old man Garand or Browning would roll over in their collective graves.

How about you ?

All that marketing of "zombie" stuff bugs me.

To me, zombies are not blood-vomiting TV and movie characters looking for brains to snack on (although it does make sense that "Walking Dead" started near Altlanta, not Washington DC).

The real zombies are live oxygen bandits already among us, looking to steal any property you're not physically there to prevent them from taking, like the copper power line going to that downtown food cart in Portland a few weeks ago. REALLY?

I've never sold stolen scrap or purchased methamphetamine. So I have to wonder, how much buzz did that buy? (Honest question, actually, it would be interesting to know.)

Painting guns and knives green, then jacking up the prices at gun shows may be a hip trend for some. But for me, when the sh*t hits the fan, I suppose everything I own is a "zombie plinker." Yes indeed.

but old man Garand or Browning would roll over in their collective graves.

Why would the modern innovators of their time roll over in their graves at modern innovation?

Don't rip on things you don't understand. There are BILLIONS of uses for m1913 rails. You don't have any use for them, but there's nothing wrong with their existence.

I really dislike the phrase "Game Changer". The game didn't change, it is still the same regardless of how cool you think this new gun or accessory is. When I hear the phrase "Game Changer" I instantly think that the person uttering the phrase is some kind of "Mall Ninja" who is trying hard to be impressive.

"Mall Ninja" on the other hand is quite descriptive and usefull at times.:D

As it pertains to guns....." weapon system ". Every gun nowdays is a weapon system. Those guns that are not are often referred to as a.... " platform ". I hate both those words. As far as hunting and fishing words go my least favorite is using the word " harvest " in place of the word kill. Why can't we just say kill ?

Because euphemisms like "weapon system", "platform", and "harvest" are what we use to make nancy-boy liberals less frightened about our oh-so scaaaaary firearms hobby.

I suspect much of the new terminology has been put in place by manufacturers of the various accessories as well as the makers of 'clone' guns IE. such as all the AR-15s to appeal to a newer, and younger market for their products. I am certainly not 'old' but I am of the age when I started out with guns I never heard the word 'Tactical' (let alone Tacticool (yuck), systems, platforms etc. My one and only AR-15 said very clearly engraved on the side: Colt AR-15 Sporter Cal. 233, and had the triangle forestock and a standard, solid rear. No rails, flashlights, laser sights etc. Just 'open irons' or scopes. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems all this new terminology and the proliferation of the various accessories has a direct correlation to and has followed a similar evolutionary path and time frame as to the rise in the popularity of the internet and gun related forums.

for me the worst word is "tactical."

Most of the guys who own a bunch of "tactical" gear couldn't write an OpOrd if their lives depended on it....and the whole "tactical" clothing thing....what a crock.

But, hey, that's just me. I gave up "tactical" stuff when I re-enlisted to be a lab tech and stopped being a tanker....

right up there with "tactical" is "upgrade", enough with morons buying a POS plastic stock and calling it an upgrade.

In fact, one of the worse words, and foulest of the foul is the word "Tapco".

While I'm not into the cosmetics of black guns, I don't see how a picatinny rail is conceptually different than a standardized dovetail dimension to allow sight interchangeability. Ditto for standardized hole spacing on the tang for mounting a ladder sight. Both of these are 150 years old or so. They've been bolting knives on the front of guns for centuries.

I think I might have just figured it out...

See, I don't spend ANY time at gun shows. I get all of my parts and ammunition online, and even do my receiver/firearm purchases online and have them shipped to my local transfer-happy FFL. Therefor, I never get exposed to the unfathomable stupidity that is the typical gunshow dealer; peddling his craptical Tapco wares, misapplying and misusing all of these "systems," concepts, and words.

Just don't spend so much time at the gunshow, and this bubblegum will stop bugging you. Pick up some books written by, or classes taught by, real modern gunfighters coming fresh off of the cutting-edge of modern warfare, and you'll understand the application for modern systems and hear the original use of these words that have been abused to ruination by morons.

I think I might have just figured it out...

See, I don't spend ANY time at gun shows. I get all of my parts and ammunition online, and even do my receiver/firearm purchases online and have them shipped to my local transfer-happy FFL. Therefor, I never get exposed to the unfathomable stupidity that is the typical gunshow dealer; peddling his craptical Tapco wares, misapplying and misusing all of these "systems," concepts, and words.

Just don't spend so much time at the gunshow, and this bubblegum will stop bugging you. Pick up some books written by, or classes taught by, real modern gunfighters coming fresh off of the cutting-edge of modern warfare, and you'll understand the application for modern systems and hear the original use of these words that have been abused to ruination by morons.

I haven't been to a gun show in a decade. But I hear what you're saying. As far as modern gunfighters go, the real ones, the military guys, largely don't have TV shows. The fake ones all seem to. If they don't they write for magazines and publish books. I know for a fact Ayoob for example is an excellent shot, but he's been in less shootings than me. ( 0 vs. 1 ) Logic would suggest that I'm the expert not him. But I'm not. Not even close. I'm just a fat guy who likes to shoot guns. Not even at people. I prefer blacktail deer. I am prior military though, maybe that's it. I was a truck driver not S.F. Bullbubblegum is everywhere. Zombie mania is prevalent.

Sorry, too much coffee
Going to look for a house in Battleground or Yacolt.

One that I always get a chuckle at is "OPSEC". 99% of the time this is used on the interwebs it is used incorrectly. However awesome it makes some keyboard ninjas feel to use acronyms, there is a significant difference between OPSEC and PERSEC.

Because euphemisms like "weapon system", "platform", and "harvest" are what we use to make nancy-boy liberals less frightened about our oh-so scaaaaary firearms hobby.

I could see that being the case about "harvesting" but I think "weapon system" and "platform" are more for the types who idolize nutnfancy, the types that pretend that somehow calling a gun a "weapons system" or a "platform" denotes some sort of superior knowledge or competence than people who say "rifle" or "pistol."

I could see that being the case about "harvesting" but I think "weapon system" and "platform" are more for the types who idolize nutnfancy, the types that pretend that somehow calling a gun a "weapons system" or a "platform" denotes some sort of superior knowledge or competence than people who say "rifle" or "pistol."

"nutnfancy" is an example of the type of idiot who uses these words because he heard the big boys use them a couple years ago- he is not an originator.

I dont see the problem with the term harvesting.
Aren't you harvesting the meat?

Killing is a part of it sure, but if all you're doing is killing an animal and leaving it there, i'd hardly call it hunting.

You dont say you're going to kill the corn, even though you are. That would imply that you're simply killing and nothing more. You harvest it.

"nutnfancy" is an example of the type of idiot who uses these words because he heard the big boys use them a couple years ago- he is not an originator.

You're probably right, I just used him as an example since he seems to be among the most prominent users of the terms in question.

I dont see the problem with the term harvesting.
Aren't you harvesting the meat?

Killing is a part of it sure, but if all you're doing is killing an animal and leaving it there, i'd hardly call it hunting.

You dont say you're going to kill the corn, even though you are. That would imply that you're simply killing and nothing more. You harvest it.

That's what I was thinking too. There are all kinds of reasons one might kill an animal. Harvesting is when you kill it to make use of its parts. I'm undecided on this point, but I might prefer "take" to "harvest".

Sent from my phone; typos likely.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads