JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I am reading and older book on predator hunting (Hunting Predators: For Hides and Profit, by Wilf E. Pyle, published 1985). In the text, there was a reference to and a photo of a rifle called the Winchester Model 100. I am a fan of traditionally styled autoloaders and classic hunting rifles, so it stood out. Doing a bit of google-age, I found information on said. It appears to have been produced in the 60s in .243, .284, and .308 Winchester. The version in .243 Winchester is interesting to me as a varmint rifle. A cursory glance at the auction sites show that they can be had at reasonable rates. Magazines, however, are very expensive, though, one wouldn't need very many.

Anyone have experience with these rifles? How are they? What is a reasonable price, circa Q4 2017, for one of these? Out of curiosity, anyone run the .284 cartridge and, if so, how do you like it?

Thanks all!

Last Edited:
I had a Model 100 in .308 which hadn't had the recalled repair on the defective firing pin, so I called Winchester and they sent me the new improved firing pin, plus a check for $75.00 to pay the labor for a gunsmith to do the swap.
I did it myself and later on traded it for a Model 88 lever rifle in the same caliber.
Most folks called the Model 100 a single shot semi-auto, cause they were a Jam-O-Matic.

Last Edited:
I had the 284 version from the first year production you definitely want to reload for that round as production is very limited and seasonal. The 308 is the most seen version but I wouldn't mind a 243 if I came across one. The mags interchange with the model 88 lever action and usually run around $75 nib.
I believe there is a 308 in the classifieds right now......found it....WTS OR - Winchester model 100 semi auto, first year manufactor 1961

Thanks @deadeye. It sounds like you liked your 100. The .284 is too obscure for my purposes as I don't handload at the present, but I was curious about the cartridge. I too found the magazines running in the $65-75 range, NIB. High compared to others, but only a couple would be really needed. Thanks for the insight. :)

I had one decades ago in 308. I don't remember any jamming issues. Was a nice rifle that seemed to be well built. I used to shoot it with 7.62 from our M60's. I can't remember what I did with it.....probably traded it off for something.

A bit late to this party. I remember when hunting with a beautiful gun trumped everything else. It was not uncommon to see fellers hunt with the most gorgeous blued and walnut rifles, with basket weave checkering and grotesque cheek pieces. These guns were a status symbol that we all looked forward to affording one day. As a product of the previous mid-century, I remember the Model 100 and Model 88 very well. The Model 100, one of the rifles I truly admired, was always out of my reach and out of my social class. I had numerous opportunities to shoot these, and they all performed as they should most of the time. Remember, semi-auto hunting rifles were never expected to shoot long strings in the desert. Just a couple rounds while targeting, and maybe a couple more rounds, shooting an animal. They kept up okay with this demand.

I'm finally getting past owning guns just for the sake of owning them. A Model 100 was long on my wish list, but now that I could actually afford one, it would be a safe queen to me. Something to admire and pass on to a later generation. And that's not to say it wouldn't still be a serviceable hunting rifle. Remember too, one of the main reasons for owning a semi auto rifle back in the fifties and sixties, was recoil reduction. The Model 100 was a relatively soft shooter compared to bolt guns of the day.

A bit late to this party. I remember when hunting with a beautiful gun trumped everything else. It was not uncommon to see fellers hunt with the most gorgeous blued and walnut rifles, with basket weave checkering and grotesque cheek pieces. These guns were a status symbol that we all looked forward to affording one day. As a product of the previous mid-century, I remember the Model 100 and Model 88 very well. The Model 100, one of the rifles I truly admired, was always out of my reach and out of my social class. I had numerous opportunities to shoot these, and they all performed as they should most of the time. Remember, semi-auto hunting rifles were never expected to shoot long strings in the desert. Just a couple rounds while targeting, and maybe a couple more rounds, shooting an animal. They kept up okay with this demand.

I'm finally getting past owning guns just for the sake of owning them. A Model 100 was long on my wish list, but now that I could actually afford one, it would be a safe queen to me. Something to admire and pass on to a later generation. And that's not to say it wouldn't still be a serviceable hunting rifle. Remember too, one of the main reasons for owning a semi auto rifle back in the fifties and sixties, was recoil reduction. The Model 100 was a relatively soft shooter compared to bolt guns of the day.

Are you sure you got it out of your system? ;)

WTS OR - Winchester model 100

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads