JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ruSSert what method did you settle on to remove the rust?

well since i already had naval jelly i used it. And it worked good. Just because rifle is so old i kinda wanted to keep some "rust" on it it took majority of it but still left some in some spots where it was a bit deeper. KInda gives it ancient look.

Rifle066.jpg

I know a gunsmith in WA who does this kind of work, even lining or reboring barrels and re-heat treating. I had a rolling block in about the same shape and this guy cleaned it up to look like new, relined the barrel, blued most of the hardware and case colored the receiver and butt plate. Most of the wood was missing or badly damaged so I put new replica wood on it. Looks like it stepped out of the 1875 Remington catalog and is really fun to shoot. The metal work ran about $800 and included draw filing the whole thing to get rid of the pitting and to sharpen the corners that should be sharp while preserving things like patent marks. PM me if you'd like his information.

Here are a few pictures of my 1873 Remington Rolling Block.

I am interested in bicycles along with guns. The C&V guys like to use .2% solution of Oxalic Acid for removing rust (paint store). It did wonders for me on a '83 Colnago. Left the parts in for 24 hours and the rust is gone. It will remove and to a small degree convert the iron oxide. Clean with baking soda, dry and oil.

I have a Sears & Roebuck model 54(Win 94 contract gun) and it's got rust damage to the left-hand side of the receiver. I am wondering if it would be worth fixing, as it's still a good shooter, with the exception that the sights were calibrated to 300 yards.

Iv done a 22mag lever action lever action that was found in the rafters of sweat loge Exeter was all rust I strip it using
evaporust works great pull the rust off even in the deep pits then used a browning finishing to give it a vintage Pitney look came out nice

Evapo-Rust Rust Remover Home

why remove the rust, wouldnt you want to perhaps put it into a reverse current tub where the gun part is posativly charged i believe and other steel (scrap) is negativly charged, thus the negativly charged atoms are drawn to the posativly charged atoms thus adding to the gun parts which then can be revitalized?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top