JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was reorganizing the loading room, and stumbled across an unopened brand new keg of Win. 231! I've never used it, so figured I'd sell it. But before doing so I looked through my Hornady loading manual to see if I might find load data for pistol cartridges using W231. It looks like it's pretty close to Bullseye or Red Dot that I've used in many pistol cases, so I'll give it a try.
Anyone used W231 before? Did it work well for whatever cartridge you used it in?

A clean solid performer in the .357 for accuracy with jacketed bullets. Not the velocity king, but very consistent.

PC270103.JPG

231 pushed a 140g Speer JHP to 110yards fast enough this day.

Great powder. I use 5.2 to 5.4 gr. with a 230 gr. ball in my plastic guns and 5.7 gr. for my heavy SS gun. Large CCI pistol primer, mixed cases. Very accurate in my .45 ACP guns. Good shooting!

I use it for my 38 spl loads, and I really like it, but it works for a lot of things. If I see it on the shelf I'd get an extra. HP--38 is the same powder, and usually a few dollars cheaper.

Was reorganizing the loading room, and stumbled across an unopened brand new keg of Win. 231! I've never used it, so figured I'd sell it. But before doing so I looked through my Hornady loading manual to see if I might find load data for pistol cartridges using W231. It looks like it's pretty close to Bullseye or Red Dot that I've used in many pistol cases, so I'll give it a try.
Anyone used W231 before? Did it work well for whatever cartridge you used it in?

Yeah. .45 acp, .38 sp. A good powder to have around for a quite a few handgun loads. Not too fast/not to slow, meters real goood. Though I use HS6 for 9mm and .40

I've got a lot of Bullseye, Unique, Red Dot, Green Dot, and have loaded with all of them with good results. Never tried this powder, and forgot I even had it. I recall buying it at a OAC gun show 4-5 years ago, and bought it because it was unopened, and I think around $7-$8 a pound. Didn't care what it was for back then as I figured it might work on some caliber I owned, and the price was too good to pass it up.
I'll try it on my .45 ACP, .45 Colt, and 9mm, and see how it shoots for me, and then decide if it works well for any or all of them.

Decent, versatile powder. I've loaded .380, 9mm, .45acp with it. Still have a couple of pounds on the shelf, and don't use it all that much at the moment, since there are other powders that give softer recoil for the competition/target loads I like. But I'll keep it around, good to have a "plan "b" ". A lot of people swear by the stuff, and not too many swear AT it.

I've used plenty of W231 for 9mm loads.

It's said (by some).......that it's the same thing as HP-38. But, lawyers. So, I'm saying........use only the data in your manual.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews