Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Will The US Senate Ratify the UN Small Arms Treaty?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by gehrheart, Dec 14, 2010.

1. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

here ----- http://www.rightsidenews.com/201012...s-senate-ratify-the-un-small-arms-treaty.html

Little blue hats make nice targets. Just saying.....

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Exactly.

3. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

Hillary is probably pissed off that she's been a total failure as Sec. of State and wants to find something that she can accomplish while the current administration is still around.

-d

4. keystir

keystir Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Yes, funny little Pakistani guys in blue and white hats may come confiscate your guns someday ( I don't own guns, they are dangerous, scary and could hurt someone. And i'm a liberal to boot, so no reason to search my house :thumbup:.) And cows may learn to fly, how can you prove they won't?

We are governed here in the U.S.A by the Constitution. U.N. treaties have NO jurisdiction over the Constitution whatsoever, whether or not the senate has passed the Treaty or not.

The article makes it seem like this treaty is a done deal, which is not even remotely close to the truth. The treaty is still in initial draft form and isn't even scheduled to begin to be voted on until at least 2012 (Obama should be gone by then, right?). Will it include gun grabbing measures? Maybe, I don't know but I'm not going run around and shout the "The U.N. is coming, The U.N. is coming." (Possible tea party 2012 slogan?)

Gun Laws in the U.S. have been steadily relaxing for years even with the Obama Presidency. from the supreme court decision in Chicago, to the steady rise in CCL licensing, to the FEDERAL laws regarding carry in National Parks.

Does President Obama want stricter gun control laws in the U.S.? I'm sure he does but that doesn't mean we can spin rumors, 1/2 truths, speculation and propaganda in order to further our own fears.

Bottom line, since I voted for Obama there has not been a single law passed that has impeded MY rights to keep and bear arms.

**Please keep the personal attacks to a minimum. I'm more sensitive than usual these days.**

5. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

wont happen

6. Bam

Bam Portland Member

civil war sounds like fun

7. gearhead

gearhead NC Active Member

I'm of the opinion that if that ugly hag had a good hard **** she'd lighten up a little. When i was little my Dad told me they put pictures of her on the space shuttle to keep the birds away.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  8. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Could you please post the source of the quote in your post gehrheart? It is impossible to ascertain the validity of the claims without proper sourcing. Thanks.

A quick check at both the UN website and Factcheck.org tells me this treaty is designed to control the movement of small arms into regions of conflict..and has nothing to do with individual gun ownership. Factcheck sums up the various claims on the web like this:

Despite widespread claims like this one, we’ve seen little or no evidence that the Obama administration is doing much to regulate guns or gun ownership. As a candidate Obama did say that he favored reinstating the "assault weapons ban" and closing the "gun show loophole" (which allows some gun buyers to avoid background checks), while the NRA stirred the fears of gun rights advocates. But he also said he believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right to bear arms, and that he would "protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns."
    Furthermore, since taking office, Obama has not pushed any of his promised gun control measures.

I am NOT a Democrat nor a particular fan of the current administration, but I am concerned that the more that wild-eyed claims like the one on this thread are circulated the more validity we give to those who oppose our rights to own firearms because they perceive us as kooks. We can best protect our 2nd Amendment rights by always speaking TRUTH. By always being sure we speak truth we can hold the high ground in the face of the claims of those who wish to paint us as a bunch of wackos who are a threat to our fellow citizens.

9. gehrheart

Sorry about not posting the source. I generally always do, it is important to understand where the info is coming from.

I copied from here...------ Will The US Senate Ratify the UN Small Arms Treaty? | US Opinion and Editorial Right Side News

Do I believe the UN will be marching in and taking our guns? Not over this. Why however are we as America even involved. That is my issue with this.

Obama has not done any one thing as of yet that is overtly out against the 2nd amendment; however, he seems to be playing the card slowly towards that end. I cant stand him, his politics or his administration, but I think he is pretty damn smart about how he is playing some of this out and if we are not careful....we will wake up one day and go crap how did that happen....

Give the gubmit a little.....they will take a lot. This among other subject is not an area I want to give anything.

10. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Obongo is just a hand puppet.

11. gehrheart

Zobama as I generally like to refer to him as. If this is the case, then the real question of course, who is pulling the strings?

12. MA Duce

Why however are we as America even involved. That is my issue with this.

My guess is because we hold a permanent seat on the UN Security Council

13. gehrheart

A figurative Question it was.........

Then again, I am against haveing a seat on the UN and wish the head quarters was not on US soil.

14. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Not to worry. It takes 2/3 of the senate or 67 votes to ratify a treaty. Let Obummer have his fun.

Cliff

15. keystir

keystir Hillsboro, OR Active Member

They could ratify it with a 100 votes. International UN treaties are not enforceable if they are not constitutional, but you are right, this issue is a non-starter. This treaty is at best a propaganda tool and at worst just an attempt to get the right wing riled up. We need only look at Portland and Sam Adams to find a real threat to law abiding citizen's gun rights.

16. MA Duce

Well I too would not weep if they left our shores, Switzerland is a much better place for them; as for giving up our seat, it might have some value, but I think we pay far too much of the load.