JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The question you ask to me is not as simple as yes or no - because there is more at stake than just gun rights. If gun rights was the only question to consider - I would say yes unquestionably but to put forth a question with out other considerations is foolishness to me.

James Ruby
Don't muddy the waters JG.
Obfuscation, while it suits the current media model, and the president, doesn't help the discussion.

Remember, I'm talking about the primaries here. All the candidates on your ballot will be dems, all will hold dem values, but some will be FOR gun rights, and some will not.

See, if you do this right, then we won't have to revisit this conversation in the fall of 2014.

Jamie - will it rain in Portland tomorrow - yes or no? Makes as much sense as the question you are asking. It is the details that count.
James Ruby
No one is asking you to predict the weather. Just help steer the ship.
That is your DUTY as an American voter.
Despite what the press tells you.

Don't muddy the waters JG.
Obfuscation, while it suits the current media model, and the president, doesn't help the discussion.

Remember, I'm talking about the primaries here. All the candidates on your ballot will be dems, all will hold dem values, but some will be FOR gun rights, and some will not.

See, if you do this right, then we won't have to revisit this conversation in the fall of 2014.

Honestly the title democrat does not mean much to me - I am more interested in the rest of thier agenda and what they see is important. To me democrats are not all teh same any more than all Republicans are.

Given two democrats with identical agendas with the exception of gun rights - I will vote for the one that protects those rights.
You have my promise on that. Gun rights will be a big plus for the canddiate that supports them. Gun rights have always been important to me just not the only thing that is important to me.

Even this last presidentail election gun rights were important to me - we just chose to see the candidates differently and for different reasons. I really dont want anythng from my government other than to be left alone. I wanted nothing from the service when I left except to be forgotten. I am prud of my service but when I left it was for good. I supposedly have burial rights coming to me but I dont even want those.

Jamie - I have real problem with people telling me what I must do or not do. I will decide myself what I will do. For you to tell me that I consider insulting.

James Ruby

Given two democrats with identical agendas with the exception of gun rights - I will vote for the one that protects those rights.
You have my promise on that. Gun rights will be a big plus for the canddiate that supports them. Gun rights have always been important to me just not the only thing that is important to me.

James Ruby
THANK YOU JGRuby! It only took 6-1/2 pages,.....

Now about the general election:
If a rabid anti-gun democrat should win the primary in your district, will you refuse to vote for them?
Please notice I DIDN'T say "will you vote for the republican?," I just said "refuse to vote for them."(that particular dem)
As in not cast a vote for anyone in that race.

There are always numerous candidates on both sides I refuse to vote for in the general election, because of their various stances on issues that affect me.

THANK YOU JGRuby! It only took 6-1/2 pages,.....

Now about the general election:
If a rabid anti-gun democrat should win the primary in your district, will you refuse to vote for them?
Please notice I DIDN'T say "will you vote for the republican?," I just said "refuse to vote for them."(that particular dem)
As in not cast a vote for anyone in that race.

There are always numerous candidates on both sides I refuse to vote for in the general election, because of their various stances on issues that affect me.

Maybe I can get you to understand this maybe not - there are equally important things as guns in my life - dont get me wrong - guns are a big part of my life as is hunting and etc... I will take a look at the Democrat and try to make an honest unbiased opinion in comparison to the other candidates and will choose the best one of teh bunch based on mulitple citeria. The fact that the dem is anti firearms is not going to help him in any way I can think of. If the republican represents my views better, Or I can get behind the libetarian 's postion I will not choose the democrat. I will assess the field when I am presented with the information until then I would need a crystal ball to give you a answer. All things being equaL the candidate that does not support gun ownership will not get my vote.

GUNS ARE IMPORTANT BUT NOT THE ONLY THING THAT IS IMPORTANT TO ME.

James Ruby

I'f rather have a rabid anti-gun democrat representing me than Todd Akin.
You obviously don't know much about Mr. Akin.
Or Ms. McCaskill for that matter.

And do you live in Missouri, despite your avatar?
And are you SOOOO foolish that you would judge an Oregon politician, or ANY OTHER politician on the words of one that ran in a race you didn't/couldn't vote in?

Is that what the democrat political landscape consists of these days?
That no candidate is safe because one of the same party, in points beyond, made a stupid statement?
The press has managed to truly make a mockery of our election system if that is the case.

And if we are to judge one candidate on the merits or shortcomings of another:
Why would you vote for the candidates that share a party with the idiot that thinks Guam may tip over due to increased military personnel there?

You obviously don't know much about Mr. Akin.
Or Ms. McCaskill for that matter.

And do you live in Missouri, despite your avatar?
And are you SOOOO foolish that you would judge an Oregon politician, or ANY OTHER politician on the words of one that ran in a race you didn't/couldn't vote in?

Is that what the democrat political landscape consists of these days?
That no candidate is safe because one of the same party, in points beyond, made a stupid statement?
The press has managed to truly make a mockery of our election system if that is the case.
And if we are to judge one candidate on the merits or shortcomings of another:
Why would you vote for the candidates that share a party with the idiot that thinks Guam may tip over due to increased military personnel there?
Line by line, in Order:
Ah, you do know what an ad hominem attack is.
I wouldn't vote for her either.

No.
No I'm not that foolish. I was just mentioning Akin as a comparison. I thought that would have been obvious, but I was wrong.

I don't know, I'm not a democrat.
No. No candidate is safe if they themselves make a stupid statement. Unwillingness to vote for a Todd Akin has no bearing on who I will vote for.
This statement is based on the outcome of the question in the previous paragraph being positive. Since I answered it in the negative, this paragraph doesn't matter much. I wouldn't really blame the press, though. They just do what they're told. ;)
Premise nullified, question moot, but just for kicks:
Because I judge each candidate as an individual, not as an extension of a political party.

I originally registered Independent, but was reminded I had removed myself from the process. I purposefully switched to a Republican registration so I could have influence within the party. I guess I would suggest to all the registered Independents, that they think about what I just said. If you remove yourself from the primary process, you are left choosing between two or more people that you literally had no sway in choosing. I am not trying to call people out, I am suggesting that you take back some of your power. Sitting "in the middle" of the sideline, and then lamenting that the people who are chosen by the players who played the game both suck, doesn't work. Does this mean I am successful in my endevour? I don't know. Does it mean I automatically vote party line? Not necessarily. However, it's difficult having this discussion here in the Pac NW, particularly Portland, Seattle, etc, because I literally have almost nothing in common with a liberal progressive with a (D) behind their name. So in a sense, I am sure to some I look like a party line voter. If I were in a rural area, I doubt I would have nearly the trouble voting for a (D). Bottom line, there are big government types in both parties and that is what we must reject.

Ah, you do know what an ad hominem attack is.
I wouldn't vote for her either.
But you are apparently a single issue voter, as demonstrated by the statement:
"I'f (sic) rather have a rabid anti-gun democrat representing me than Todd Akin."

So when the single issue is gun control, that's not enough.
But a single statement about the the single issue of abortion, is enough to sway your vote.
Interesting.

But you are apparently a single issue voter, as demonstrated by the statement:
"I'f (sic) rather have a rabid anti-gun democrat representing me than Todd Akin."

So when the single issue is gun control, that's not enough.
But a single statement about the the single issue of abortion, is enough to sway your vote.
Interesting.

My only "single issue" involved there is that I won't vote for a complete idiot. It has nothing to do with abortion.

Really, I never would have voted for him before that particular event. Because of all the other important issues.

What is it that you are trying to prove here? I don't understand why you're accusing me of stuff.

I find it a bit odd that most of the "other issues" that are always sighted typically require imposing someone else's will on me, my family, my income, etc.

So a passive right like gun ownership is less important than an active right like Social Security, Medicare, Education, etc.?

I come from the "leave me alone" school of politics but I also realize that a candidate must first be electable before they can get elected. Once elected these folks have to be held accountable.

As I've told my own employees hundreds of times, rewards and recognition work both ways and the same holds true for elected representatives. If you do a good job we will vote you back into office. If you do a bad job or do not represent your constituents appropriately we will send you packing.

For the majority of members of this forum it's easy to understand who most people would send packing.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top