JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is out my backyard when I lived in Wasilla, AK

IMG_1987.JPG

Nice photographs. Thanks. It motivates me to carry my camera more often, when Covid-19 restrictions relax. I saw this elk daily while driving on my previous job, and named him 'Abul'.

IMG_0137.JPG

Found a hummingbird nest in the yard last week and the babies were just a couple days old (2 teeny chicks and 1 egg). I didn't want to scare the mom long enough to take pics (it's in an awkward place and would need a ladder). Got a few poor pics a couple days later and some more today. This was the first time the mother could leave them on the nest for long periods of time. They should be able to fly in a couple weeks hopefully. Adult is a couple inches long and the nest is a little bigger than a golfball. I'll try to get better pics sometime.

Also there was a full grown baby flying around before we found this nest so it must be from another nest. The full grown baby is not scared at all and twice he hovered about 6" from my face when I was sitting down. He seems really curious about everything. Not sure if it is the same full sized baby or if there may be two the same size (no markings yet, just grey basically, so hard to tell).
small pic.jpg
small pic-2.jpg
2 chicks barely fill half the nest
small pic-3.jpg
today, starting to fill the nest
small pic-4.jpg
small pic-5.jpg

Found a hummingbird nest in the yard last week and the babies were just a couple days old (2 teeny chicks and 1 egg). I didn't want to scare the mom long enough to take pics (it's in an awkward place and would need a ladder). Got a few poor pics a couple days later and some more today. This was the first time the mother could leave them on the nest for long periods of time. They should be able to fly in a couple weeks hopefully. Adult is a couple inches long and the nest is a little bigger than a golfball. I'll try to get better pics sometime.

Also there was a full grown baby flying around before we found this nest so it must be from another nest. The full grown baby is not scared at all and twice he hovered about 6" from my face when I was sitting down. He seems really curious about everything. Not sure if it is the same full sized baby or if there may be two the same size (no markings yet, just grey basically, so hard to tell).
View attachment 693107
View attachment 693108
2 chicks barely fill half the nest
View attachment 693109
today, starting to fill the nest
View attachment 693110
View attachment 693111
Took some follow up pics of the babies and they are much bigger now. Should be flying soon I hope! Also I found another nest in the yard yesterday. I don't know if this is the same mom or a different one. This second one is built about 3' above a place I walk all the time and very exposed to rain etc. I hope the crows, starlings, or scrub Jays don't get the babies on this one. Also I saw a mom with full grown flying baby today (I assume it's the same baby I saw earlier) so maybe 3 nests nearby. Whenever a scrub jay comes into the yard there are 3-4 hummingbirds buzzing it immediately. So they all pull together when there is a threat apparently. Here is the nest from before:
small pic-3.jpg
Here is the new nest. It looked to me she was still building it yesterday because she had some down or cottonwood fluff (or maybe bundle of spiderwebs?) she was adding to it.
small pic.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews