JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the report, TCCAE! That could have been a mistake... teaching your mother-in-law how to shoot! Hope you're on good terms!

Man, that place doesn't look like it used to! Graffiti on the rocks, (even though it says pick up your trash, it still makes the place look trashy), targets on the trees, lots of trees shot up and the kiosk sign gone.

We could get it back to good condition and perhaps even save it from being closed. Clean it up and remove the graffiti for starters. I could see if the Forest Service would build a new kiosk and we could post new info.

The problem with this place is the short backstops (targets are put on top of that little pile of dirt and all the trees behind it get shot up), and no real good firing line established. The boulders don't really provide an obvious or good line to set up your gear.

There's a lot that could be done with this place but we'd have to get the Forest Service approval to do it. It will still get used as it is, so, why not make it better for the environment, safer to use and be a place that shooters can respect?

Thanks again. Good to hear what's going on out there.

Be kind to your mother-in-law! ;)

Bill
I couldn't agree more my family and I love this place but we dont have the contacts with the foresty service or even know where to start on making this place better. Let me know what I can do and I'll do my best to save this place for future shooters and just make it a better place. Thanks tim

Here are my observations with the 2 Wildcat lanes...

Wild Cat 8-24-19 1 Concerns.jpg

Wild Cat 8-24-19 2 Concerns.jpg

Wild Cat 8-24-19 3 Concerns.jpg

I'll try to draw up some improvement recommendations. For now, if a few folks want to go clean it up, I'll see if I can get Dumpstoppers to haul it away for you. I'm booked for the rest of this summer but can certainly help put something together.

When I head out again I'll make sure to remove all targets from the area that are not being used. Just double checking but to modify the earea ie. Make berms taller we have to have approval from the foresty department first?

Hmm dont remember hearing about that but doesn't surprise me. Lots of ppl just dont care and shot where ever they feel like it up there. I'm doing what I can to keep our spot open any one willing to help would be much appreciated.

Make berms taller we have to have approval from the foresty department first?
Yes we would. It's environmental requirements like ground disturbance study, archeological study and all that stuff that would delay safety from happening. It might be different, however, if we are simply proposing to dump some dirt on top of the existing ground, without disturbing the soil.

Like DirectDrive said, always keep an eye out. It's always best to go in 2's or more (no matter where you go).

Yeah I never go shooting alone too many things could go wrong and always best to have some one with you. Again thank you cogs. Next time I go up I'll make sure to do a good clean up and see what I can do about the painted rocks. I'm limited on time cuz I have 3 kids and a full time job. Being a younger parents is hard but i wouldn't change a thing. But with the free time I do have I'll do my best to try to keep this shooting spot open for future shooters and my kids.

Yeah I never go shooting alone too many things could go wrong and always best to have some one with you. Again thank you cogs. Next time I go up I'll make sure to do a good clean up and see what I can do about the painted rocks. I'm limited on time cuz I have 3 kids and a full time job. Being a younger parents is hard but i wouldn't change a thing. But with the free time I do have I'll do my best to try to keep this shooting spot open for future shooters and my kids.
I'll call Dave, of Dump Stoppers, and ask if you could drop off a few bags somewhere. I really don't think he would be able to make a special trip up there without it first being an official type of group cleanup (to be official would be to make arrangements with the Forest Service and make it an event that is open to the public and all that). Will let you know what he says.

According to the news report that's just over 5 miles from our spot yes scary but at the same time the report was it was a group of 20 year old kids just causing problem. Yes its wrong. And yes we need to keep our guard up.

Google Boring, Ore. woman gets car shot
Dang it! That just happened too!

I wish we could get her a new rig. If my nonprofit were financially stronger, I'd jump right in there and help out. I think it would make a positive statement on behalf of responsible shooters. Her name is Diane Walters. I wonder if there's a go fund me set up or if anyone is doing anything for her.

So there was definitely snow still up there. Not much trash or anything that I could see, but again.. snow. Was a beautiful morning to go shooting and got my little brothers new ar sighted in.

Edit: the hill going up to the final set of turns was pretty icy this morning.

20200309_123600.jpg 20200309_123647.jpg 20200309_123632.jpg 20200309_104953.jpg 20200309_104943.jpg

So there was definitely snow still up there. Not much trash or anything that I could see, but again.. snow. Was a beautiful morning to go shooting and got my little brothers new ar sighted in.

View attachment 667870 View attachment 667873 View attachment 667875 View attachment 667876 View attachment 667877

Oh, that is so fun! Thanks for putting this up. I've lost the desire to get out in the cold and snow to do that, but really enjoy seeing others get out there.

Good times man, good times!

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top