JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm trying to sell a few, and some co-workers and friends are trying to sell. Nobody and I mean nobody is making cash offers. Everyone wants to trade their junk for my nicer pistol, or they wanna trade similar quality for mine but it's stuff I don't want. But why doesn't anyone have the cash? Gun shops are listing guns at record low prices and they don't seem to be moving stuff either.

I see things moving in shops fairly quickly here if it's nice and priced right. I have bought a few things lately but I think typically the summer is slower for gun sales. Should start to pick up with hunting season around the corner as well.

Many have multiple guns and its hard to justify due to that kitchen you haven't remodeled or furniture you haven't upgraded. Maybe that's just me. I'm buying parts now but am planning it out over months.

I have decent stuff to sell but unless it's an emergency most things would be at a loss. The good news for the PNW is elections are coming. There will always be a reason to buy then.

It's probably (in large part) because of the mandatory UBC on ALL firearms transfers. I used to cruise the WTS ads a lot, but with asking prices (generally) not much lower than NIB from an FFL, and (legally) a UBC either way I'll almost always go NIB unless it's something awesome like an Imbel FAL or an IMI Galil, or if it's priced low enough below NIB prices to be worth my time.

I did buy these recently (the NAA Pug was a private party transfer)..... I also have three full gun safes... I'm starting to see a 4th in my future, but I admit... it's starting to get ridiculous.... if only I could score an "affordable" M60 or M240!

48963451-B118-4A7C-85D2-5B9952A8DFED.jpeg 58DF7711-868E-49CD-8600-F0A298677DF8.jpeg D7AFD581-268C-4C78-B17F-A03710E7ACC1.jpeg

Because.... I already bought the last one I wanted...

Some factors include:
+ Inflation.
+ Used pricing + UBC = add a few more $$ and buy new.
+

I usually see something every day that I'd like to have, but lately I've been able to control the impulse to buy. I don't need anything. I would kinda like a 10mm revolver though, maybe the Ruger Match Champion?

I'm finding that I need to take a temporary second job just to keep my preps and firearms purchases coming at the frequency I desire.
There are a couple of good deals I have been mulling over trade offers for, however.

Additionally, as previously mentioned, wages are kinda frozen. As management in my workplace I am pulling in a little more than 3 grand a month, before health insurance, my IRS payment and the wife's student loans get their piece. And rent. Got dayum rent

From what I have seen, the summer months have always been kinda slow in the gun business. Additionally, I do think some folks are a bit concerned about the new Laws that maybe passed. I too would be a little concerned but I am in pretty good shape for the Guns I want.:)

Also, at this time of year, until after the new year, pawn shops get flooded with firearms that folks pawn to buy other items, so, if you are like me, you peruse those places first, find something good for cheap, then either keep it or use it as trade stock.

It may have a lot to do with what you are selling and where you are trying to sell. Are you trying to sell certain 'key' pre lock Smith & Wessons? JM Marlin rifles, pre 64 Winchester rifles, Browning HPs or other 'certain' all steel semi autos? If so lots of activity in this arena. However if you are trying to sell modern, typical 'plastic' well, the market is saturated and the LGSs & PSs are bursting at the seams with used ones.
Bottom line is if it's wood & steel and ain't made anymore you have a better chance of selling than if it is still new and available NIB - and if this is the case then you may have to accept considerably less than what it is selling for new if you want it gone. As mentioned before with UBCs , and asking prices for used not much lower than new not many are going to go this route - unless it's UNAVAILABLE new.

Pawn shops have inflated prices.

People want more for their guns then it's worth for me to drive an hour, plus gas, plus transfer and I'm close to the new price.

I have very little disposable income but I've bought a mark 3 pistol and a single shot 20ga in the last 4-5 weeks because they were very reasonably priced.

Unfortunately with all the added costs of buying used you aren't going to get almost what you paid for it from most people, your going to have to take a 20-25% hit to move it anytime soon.

Winter when people need xmas money they sell guns cheap and tax season people have money to spend on guns that aren't way cheap.

Summer is short so people usually fund home improvement projects around then as well.

Just my 2¢

One of the biggest things I see is the background check. It used to be quick and easy. Now it's a PIA. The $ of the transfer isn't so bad as how much time of mine gets wasted.
I used to buy and sell a bunch. Great way to sample lots of different stuff. It might cost me a little or I might make a little, no biggie. That wasn't the point. I had to roll the $$ over to get a new plaything and that was simple. Sell one, go buy another.

I also believe the political pressure of the last President accelerated a bunch of sales.People are more content these days.

Me? I've honestly gotten to the point that I have most of what I want. The last gun I bought was almost a year ago and it had to be new, because it's a fairly new gun.

In the past few years we have had decent gun prices, but ammo has been hit or miss. Ammo is at the lowest it has been in a long time. I have the guns I want to shoot, so my gun fund is currently going to ammo.

One of the biggest things I see is the background check.
This is a big 10-4! I used to buy, sell and trade quite a bit before the UBC. Not that I was particularly interested in amassing a lot of guns but when I saw something unique or classic I might have bought it - and maybe traveled a couple hours to do so but not anymore. Often these trips were a fun way to meet other people, see some nice collections and pick up a deal to keep trade, or sell later but the hassle of time constraints and dealing with FFL schedules have brought my once fun buying trips to a complete standstill.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top