JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good call. Please excuse my omission of the word "perhaps" at the beginning of the sentence.

Conjecture about what someone is thinking is always a risky business. Classic male behavior... Big strong man coming to the rescue - defending someone that hasn't asked to be defended smacks of assuming that the female is not capable of defending herself and is known as "White Knight Syndrome".

Just my opinion but I'm really surprised you didn't get a lot of flack from women forum members about the rest of your post... "observations" can get you in trouble real quick. Having been married for 40yrs, I've learned to keep my mouth shut. :)

My opinion, and worth just that. It does not apply to any one specific person, it is generated by my observation of all the women in my life (mothers, sisters, daughters, friends, & lovers). Every individual has their quirks, and there are underlying similarities, which I am trying to distill into general observations here.

Observing what is around us, forming opinions, then applying those opinions more broadly is something that everyone does. People with PhDs do it and it's called science. Other people do it and they are labeled bigots, etc. For better or worse, generalizations are a very powerful thing. I personally try not to criticize people's opinions if they are based on what they experience or observe around them. I am critical of opinions based on assumptions, hearsay, etc. I have no quarrel with @P7id10T 's opinions because they are based on the women he knows. I personally don't fit all of them, but that doesn't make them wrong.

IDK, the whole gender thing is so tricky to navigate this day in age... I get pretty bummed about how it's just another topic that divides people instead of bringing them together :(.

Back to the original topic: I think we can agree that shooting (for myriad reasons) is a male-dominated activity, so that explains why there are more male than female members here. (Interestingly, the majority of the men I have gone shooting with or have talked guns with either aren't very active here or aren't members at all.) I would bet that if we asked some of the less active male members why they aren't more active on the forum their answers would echo some of the reasons given in this thread. I'd also guess that if we asked active members why they are active, both males and females would have similar answers.

But IDK... really I've had too much coffee, haven't eaten breakfast, and have to make a modern pumping system work on a furnace that is older than I am:(. And when a male coworker offers me a hand, I will gladly accept his help, even if I can do it myself ;).

The main reason I don't post more is because I'm busy with all sorts of other things that occupy my attention, plus I kinda prefer real-time IRC and Discord chats to forum posts. Forums are nice in that your thoughts stay up there for everyone to see for a long time, so I try to put a little more thought and consideration into my posts. Plus I prefer actually going and shooting to just talking about it. ;p

But to answer the ops broader question:

If you want more women on here, get more women around you into shooting!
Then it becomes a question of how you go about doing that.
There are those who have heard anti-gun rhetoric their whole lives who can be convinced otherwise, provided they are an intelligent rational person. Sadly they may be in increasingly short supply. :(

Then you get into things like adapting your conversation style to be more appealing to a given audience. Whether that's a man or a woman.

And after that you have to ask the question "why aren't more women getting into guns and shooting on their own?". The answer to which would probably be a lengthy essay. ;) But let's do an extremely short version. It probably has something to do with culture and society as a whole. Working on cars, shooting guns, and watching football, to a greater or lesser extent these are seen as "man" activities. Women feel pressure from those around them to do certain things, like the ubiquity of wearing makeup for example. It takes a person with a strong sense of individuality to buck a trend and go outside whatever is considered " normal". So, just make women shooting the new normal, there isn't really one way to go about doing that, but I think we're more or less headed in the right direction. :D

Last Edited:
However many women there really are on the forum, there appear to be fewer. Some women have handles that make it obvious they are women. Some don't. Maybe most don't. It would be interesting to actually know the percent of members on the forum who are women.

Some of the first skills I taught my SO, and daughter was how to use firearms, not only as a wonderful skill, but of course protection. I'm sure we all got firearms on every floor of our homes, I know I do, and I made sure all the women in my life, and home know where and how to use them with proficiency. Though I do my best to make sure that anyone interested, especially women, in learning about firearms gets a respectful and truthful explanation of their workings, their rights, and my opinions on why they should learn, and own them. As I've said before more the merrier, all should have guns no matter gender (or any other label).

I was thinking : "Why don't we ask a female shooter 'bout this and get her perspective...."
Andy

It gets discouraging. In my experience men tend to turn most women focused threads into what they like.

I have a group of women I chat with via forum mail systems about shooting, guns and products. Women tend to talk among ourselves when it comes to shooting.

;)Why we don't like to have women on gun forums....
.... because they remember-every-darn-idiotic-boastful-inconsistent-thing that we've said in the past and then nail us with it when we're making another brilliant-reasoned-rational comment.
Example, "You just told Jamie to buy a 43, but, uuummm, didn't you say in May of 1987, I think it was a Wednesday at 3:14, it was raining, that Glocks were junk? and now you have 4?"

(my wife is reading this over my shoulder)

This particular section of the NWFA forum site appears to have a very low participation rate. Why is that?
I'm relatively new here so I can't answer as to the past. Self-defense is why I have a renewed interest. Years ago my husband and I owned multiple firearms and enjoyed shooting, just because. Now a single lady again I recently purchased a Glock as my personal handgun and also have a CCL. I find I do enjoy going to the range. However, it's an expensive sport and I would love to own additional firearms but my budget and priorities will probably put a damper on that goal for the time being. In the meantime, I'm trying to learn as much as I can regarding firearms, legislation, and strongly believe in the right to bear arms. I would love to get together with a group of gals from the Beaverton/Aloha area who are like-minded and interested in getting together once in a while at a local range.

However, it's an expensive sport and I would love to own additional firearms but my budget and priorities will probably put a damper on that goal for the time being

Buy a .22lr.

Most can be had for $200-350, then you can shoot for hours for $10-20.

I'm budget poor and that increased my trigger time a lot.

I'm relatively new here so I can't answer as to the past. Self-defense is why I have a renewed interest. Years ago my husband and I owned multiple firearms and enjoyed shooting, just because. Now a single lady again I recently purchased a Glock as my personal handgun and also have a CCL. I find I do enjoy going to the range. However, it's an expensive sport and I would love to own additional firearms but my budget and priorities will probably put a damper on that goal for the time being. In the meantime, I'm trying to learn as much as I can regarding firearms, legislation, and strongly believe in the right to bear arms. I would love to get together with a group of gals from the Beaverton/Aloha area who are like-minded and interested in getting together once in a while at a local range.
Try going to The Well Armed Woman meetings at Threat Dynamics the last Wednesday of each month. I think it starts at 6. The chapter leader is Sue. Don't feel you have to shoot, stay for the first part and get to know the ladies.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top