JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If this EVER happens, I ask that someone please convo me so I can take care of it. We are NOT a "men only" website and women are welcome and encouraged to join and participate.

The thread you mention is not out for the "public" to view and there is also a guys and guns thread.
This is (or can be) a totally anonymous forum......who knows how many women there are or even who they are.

I have a couple of neighbor women that never seek advice so it's all live and let live and I pretty much mind my own business:D They bought a travel trailer and because I traveled for many years as a contract worker I knew I could be of great help to new comers to living in a travel trailer. Because they didn't ask for help I could have let them wear out the tires scrubbing it sideways trying to park it. Or I could have left them running into things because they couldn't see. I could have left them learning all about the sewer system on their own... it would all be unsolicited info

Unsolicited advice can be the most valuable advice there is. You dont usually solicit it because you didnt know you needed it. The issue to me isnt solicited or not. Its whether I want to hear about that thing from that particular person at that time. The only way to know is they try it out. If you start holding forth on ARs, I'd just say "I'm not into ARs. What do you know about precision rifles?" Or if you just got an AR and were dying to talk about it, I'd probably compromise and say "Give me the 5 minute version." If you started trying to tell me about large bore revolvers and it was clear to me that I knew more about it than you did and your info wasnt solid, I'd say I already know everything I want to know about that. In my professional area, I've been known to say "I wrote the book on that. You should probably go read it." Not subtle. But its better than listening to someone try to teach me watered down versions of my own work they got from some one who actually got it from me.

I read the book about so-called "mansplaining". The female authors big complaint was that men were always explaining things to her, assuming her ignorance. I dont have that problem. I really enjoy learning new things in many areas. But I give people clear signals so that I get to spend time in conversations I really enjoy. I think the "mansplaining" is only partly a problem with the male side. I think its equally the result of women being taught to never interrupt, correct, or challenge men, they should never be rude, etc. Men by and large usually give clearer signals as to whether they are interested in a conversation. Women tend to stand there and allow the guy bore the hell out of them, never giving the poor guy a single clue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't think I am rude for not replying, the complaint is that the drift is off topic so I moved on from the thread. Think about that when you re read your post. Our communication with others as you pointed out must be on topic just like the net. Think about that, I don't want to talk to you unless I think what you have to say is important to me. Dont' talk unless you stick to the subject. This in my opinion is how the net destroyed our culture, small talk that builds relationships is shunned. We choose the life we live.

We don't post often because we are BUSY!!!
Haven't you heard? A woman's job is never done :D

Seriously, full time job, grad school, yard work and keeping house don't give much time for forum posting.

I do what I can and pop in when I get a moment.

My opinion, and worth just that. It does not apply to any one specific person, it is generated by my observation of all the women in my life (mothers, sisters, daughters, friends, & lovers). Every individual has their quirks, and there are underlying similarities, which I am trying to distill into general observations here.

Why women frequent gun boards less than men:
  • I'm not sure if it's genetically coded or not, but women are raised as care-givers and men are pushed toward being doers.
    Every gun board I know focuses on doing.
  • The genesis for discussions is a tangible, cathartic object.
    • While a gun, the object, is regarded by most here as a very interesting thing with a myriad of variations and implementations, while the person who feels no reaction to said object, it's 9,999 variations of the same thing, and thus, boring and actually uni-dimensional.
    • I had a teacher who was decidedly anti-gun and would intersperse his classes with brief lectures on the evil nature of guns, interlaced with derisive Freudian phallic comments. He was belittling anyone who even thought a gun was cool.
  • Another common theme in threads on the board revolves around technique. Nuts and bolts how-to and tales of BTDT.
    • Our society is one where women are constantly bombarded with statements of what to be, how to be, how to do it and wrapping it all up with "you're inadequate." I would anticipate reluctance to participate or go shooting because of the potential for bombardment with comments, albeit usually well intentioned, aimed at offering advice.
  • There is very little room or opportunity for discussions of feelings, or introspection. Most guys focus inwardly, on their own happiness first. IMO, most women focus on the happiness of those around them. It is the lucky woman who can focus on her own happiness without a twinge of guilt.
    • My observation of most women is they are the hub - and life revolves around them. Integrating feelings into every activity, which works toward a goal, the health and happiness of those around them, and provides exponentially greater fulfillment with the activity toward and the achievement of that goal.

To give an example, I have a 24" spanner wrench, as old as I am, that will work on a 3" nut. When I hold it, and the sucker is heavy, I marvel at it's simplicity, how smoothly the jaws move, and can remember a bunch of times when I've had to use it (once every 3-5 years). When I heft it, I feel a fleeting moment of fulfillment. OH, OH, OH, OH, OH! (in my best Tim the Tool-man Taylor grunt). When my wife looks at it, she asks, "what's that for, and why do you need one so big?"
Yet, as a talented sketch artist and painter, she will feel happiness when she has a set of Copic markers because of the peace in expression she feels when making art, and the immense joy people feel when she gives the art to them. Witnessing it, that is a moment of deep fulfillment for her.

There are no liberal 2nd amendment supporters. Not even all conservitives are supporters. Has nothing to do with gender. My wife and daughter can be further right than I am (hard to believe). There is a spectrum, the further left you go the closer you get to being a communist but the second amendment is a good place to draw the line between right and left (or good and evil)
Disagree. The world is not such a clearly identifiable dichotomy, like opponents on a battlefield.

Far left progressive
Isn't that a contradiction of terms? Do you mean to say "far left liberal"?

A pro second amendment person isn't allowed in the liberal club. That are very discriminating on that (and other) points.
I didn't know there was some "club" or governing body determining what / who is a liberal or conservative.

How did skin color get into this? Sounds like some generalizn goin on. Someone's bias is showing.
In commenting on white male gun owners, she was referencing the common thread of white male privilege and guns. I remember reading that a common thread among mass shootings was that the perp is a white male, and saw a joke about it saying the problem is not guns, but white males....

This thread is so far off the rails. Back on topic or I'm going to lock it down.
Thanks for not being a phallus on that one....

My opinion, and worth just that. It does not apply to any one specific person, it is generated by my observation of all the women in my life (mothers, sisters, daughters, friends, & lovers). Every individual has their quirks, and there are underlying similarities, which I am trying to distill into general observations here.

Why women frequent gun boards less than men:
  • I'm not sure if it's genetically coded or not, but women are raised as care-givers and men are pushed toward being doers.
    Every gun board I know focuses on doing.
  • The genesis for discussions is a tangible, cathartic object.
    • While a gun, the object, is regarded by most here as a very interesting thing with a myriad of variations and implementations, while the person who feels no reaction to said object, it's 9,999 variations of the same thing, and thus, boring and actually uni-dimensional.
    • I had a teacher who was decidedly anti-gun and would intersperse his classes with brief lectures on the evil nature of guns, interlaced with derisive Freudian phallic comments. He was belittling anyone who even thought a gun was cool.
  • Another common theme in threads on the board revolves around technique. Nuts and bolts how-to and tales of BTDT.
    • Our society is one where women are constantly bombarded with statements of what to be, how to be, how to do it and wrapping it all up with "you're inadequate." I would anticipate reluctance to participate or go shooting because of the potential for bombardment with comments, albeit usually well intentioned, aimed at offering advice.
  • There is very little room or opportunity for discussions of feelings, or introspection. Most guys focus inwardly, on their own happiness first. IMO, most women focus on the happiness of those around them. It is the lucky woman who can focus on her own happiness without a twinge of guilt.
    • My observation of most women is they are the hub - and life revolves around them. Integrating feelings into every activity, which works toward a goal, the health and happiness of those around them, and provides exponentially greater fulfillment with the activity toward and the achievement of that goal.

To give an example, I have a 24" spanner wrench, as old as I am, that will work on a 3" nut. When I hold it, and the sucker is heavy, I marvel at it's simplicity, how smoothly the jaws move, and can remember a bunch of times when I've had to use it (once every 3-5 years). When I heft it, I feel a fleeting moment of fulfillment. OH, OH, OH, OH, OH! (in my best Tim the Tool-man Taylor grunt). When my wife looks at it, she asks, "what's that for, and why do you need one so big?"
Yet, as a talented sketch artist and painter, she will feel happiness when she has a set of Copic markers because of the peace in expression she feels when making art, and the immense joy people feel when she gives the art to them. Witnessing it, that is a moment of deep fulfillment for her.

Disagree. The world is not such a clearly identifiable dichotomy, like opponents on a battlefield.

Isn't that a contradiction of terms? Do you mean to say "far left liberal"?

I didn't know there was some "club" or governing body determining what / who is a liberal or conservative.

In commenting on white male gun owners, she was referencing the common thread of white male privilege and guns. I remember reading that a common thread among mass shootings was that the perp is a white male, and saw a joke about it saying the problem is not guns, but white males....

Thanks for not being a phallus on that one....

I'm glad I have your approval. :rolleyes:

Are you speaking for Kristina? I would have thought her plenty capable of elaborating on her own. What makes you think you have her position/thinking down correctly? :rolleyes:

Maybe a few less stereotypes, maybe a few less assumptions and maybe just maybe a few less cheesy pick up lines? I recently shot with a female that I would GLADLY have her cover my six. Or me cover hers.

It wasn't about her being a "her". It was about the skills the PERSON behind the trigger has.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top