JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's been posted before' but it may be a good time to have the women in our lives read this....

Why the Gun is Civilization.

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me, or causing me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gangbanger, and a lone gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat–it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed. People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the physically strong, and the mob, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a "Monopoly of Force".

Some argue that a gun makes confrontations lethal that would otherwise only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes deadly force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weightlifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I will only be ruled by reason and agreement, not by force. I don't carry it because of fear, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation … and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

My wife is too busy cleaning house and cooking........(not really, we have a maid and we eat out a lot) a lot of us here are worn out old guys that have time to participate in such nonsense. My wile likes the guns and loves trap shooting but has learned to defer to my experiance in such issues. When she goes to the Trap range, everyone oohs and awes over her guns and she shoots well. She is still busy in her engineering busisness. We are very involved in political issues and keeping the ranch going........my daughter is an absolute gun nut but has other stuff going rather than spending time on a blog.

Glad you asked, in fact there was 3 of these women at the BBQ this weekend and sorry all are taken ;).
Well as much as the people around here do not follow my way of thinking, I took a route that most are not willing to and started speaking with people who most would not see as ( gun owners) . No they are not liberal-antis either. But Men do not look at women when they think guns. I was shocked kinda when one of them brought up the work I did in 2015 and asked what was I working on now.
I don't want to take this off topic too far, but NWFA as we know has a pretty strict code of what they see as apolitical usually = liberal, Democrat and do not see there are many right smack in the middle and many women are right there as well as many other groups. Trust me I have almost wore out a welcome here at NWFA trying to show people what is being missed but most are content to shovel money at OFF and the NRA and simply wont look past it, so I gave up on NWFA as for now being a stepping point for change.
I have written the site owner here on several occasion about this last time was maybe 4 months ago and no answer which I guess means no interest. But thats cool, but just know there are allot of people not being represented at NWFA because there is no place here to do such a thing.
What about the women's efforts to fight gun control, can you be specific about what they are doing?

What about the women's efforts to fight gun control, can you be specific about what they are doing?

No...lol... I mean I could but I wont. Not trying to be a hard arse, as it may seem that way.
But much more is going on then is seen in places like NWFA.
But I was answering the OP question, but hey if NWFA ever switches gears I would be happy to share
all the goings on. I was wanting to be clear that there are allot of women involved more then we realize
they just do not use the same venues men do. BTW it not you or the question, but it tends to open a sheet storm when certain subjects come up so doing my best to avoid it.

I think we have done a poor job of explaining the actual utility of firearms to our women......the same as cars, my wife loves my pretty old cars but not so much the process required to make them that way. I have several distant grandmothers that died in war with the Indians, British, French or other foes of the time. I am sure they understood the utility and usefulness of firearms like a woman today that has been threatened. Like old cars, they are mostly interested in what works and how to use it than the intricacies we get into in a place like this.

:D Just opinion but we are divided men from women even when folks want equality. We should be standing with one voice, undivided on our rights but fact is women truly don't want to be equals, they want to be women. They define what a woman is and what a women is seems to be what every other women tells her she is. Her politics are going to be what her friends like and the real enemy are men in most cases. Women could grow so much if they let go of the yoke of being victims, take charge of their own security and seek the adventure of growth as a human being.

I loved my wife and watching her grow over the decades was really special. The self confidence and security allowed her to do so much other women would not chance. On her deathbed she praised what a wonderful life she had and thanked me for the joy of every minute. Its' been good gents

I understand women not being in to guns but I think most would understand you are better off with one than without one if you are in a bad situation. It's too bad more women aren't interested in gun rights. I think it would help us retain ground in the election cycles.

Alas, (apologies to Gray) Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.

You are articulating but one facet of psychological & cognitive differences between the brutish male and the fairer sex.

I can unequivocally state, after walking this planet for a while, I do not understand how to facilitate any type of collaborations on those differences and to be honest, if my role in life is protector, eh, such is the way of life.

'Sides my partner is a better shot, ask them!

:D Just opinion but we are divided men from women even when folks want equality. We should be standing with one voice, undivided on our rights but fact is women truly don't want to be equals, they want to be women. They define what a woman is and what a women is seems to be what every other women tells her she is. Her politics are going to be what her friends like and the real enemy are men in most cases. Women could grow so much if they let go of the yoke of being victims, take charge of their own security and seek the adventure of growth as a human being.

I loved my wife and watching her grow over the decades was really special. The self confidence and security allowed her to do so much other women would not chance. On her deathbed she praised what a wonderful life she had and thanked me for the joy of every minute. Its' been good gents
I think you are right and I am sorry your wife had to depart so soon.

It's been posted before' but it may be a good time to have the women in our lives read this....

Why the Gun is Civilization.

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me, or causing me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gangbanger, and a lone gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat–it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed. People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the physically strong, and the mob, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a "Monopoly of Force".

Some argue that a gun makes confrontations lethal that would otherwise only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes deadly force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weightlifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I will only be ruled by reason and agreement, not by force. I don't carry it because of fear, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation … and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

Awesome! Do you know who this is credited too. I would like to post this over at my r/orgunowners sub?

JMO, when the kids get back interested in shooting sports and Americana, a lot of women will follow. Right now it's touchy for kids and women to be pro-gun on the "Facespaces" because of the child activist retards from Florida and the celebrity support. Social Media trends are driven by youth movements and a lot of women feel pressure to try and stay young. So they just go along with the current. This is less so for men because we (famously) have so many interests outside of family and friends.

FWIW, I saw online today that there is starting to be more backlash among millennial boys against leftist politics. It's not a majority (yet) but it's a growing movement. I'm keeping an eye on it - fingers crossed.

My condolence's sir.

I have no idea what I'd do without my wife. I hope I don't have to figure that out for a very long time .

My wife is pro-2A and enjoys shooting, but she has no interest in a forum on firearms or chatting about these things on a regular basis. I suspect many women shooters are the same way - they like guns and 2A, but don't necessarily want to spend time chatting about it online.

That said, they're certainly welcome on NWFA - the more the merrier.

JMO, when the kids get back interested in shooting sports and Americana, a lot of women will follow. Right now it's touchy for kids and women to be pro-gun on the "Facespaces" because of the child activist retards from Florida and the celebrity support. Social Media trends are driven by youth movements and a lot of women feel pressure to try and stay young. So they just go along with the current. This is less so for men because we (famously) have so many interests outside of family and friends.

FWIW, I saw online today that there is starting to be more backlash among millennial boys against leftist politics. It's not a majority (yet) but it's a growing movement. I'm keeping an eye on it - fingers crossed.

Its why you need to get folks out of the Facebook herd and back to living life, fakebook is running lives.

I can point to about three to ten threads where a woman braved this site, only to be bombarded with unwanted advice.

We aren't the most female friendly unfortunately.

We have a thread called girls with guns, if that doesn't paint the image of the type of guys here, I'm not sure you'll ever understand why we have so few women.

This particular section of the NWFA forum site appears to have a very low participation rate. Why is that?
As stated. women are a minority in the shooting sports and gun ownership.
I think also that men like to participate in forums much more.
Maybe Dana Loesch needs to start a campaign to get more women shooters involved ?
Build our voting block !

We come to the party (the shooting game) with a ton of preconceived notions.
Women come to the party and oftentimes just excel right out of the gate.
It would be good to see more women shooters.

How many female gun collectors do you know? The big historical gun shows like Tulsa and Reno never have a female presenter that is there on her own. My daughter will fight the son's for many of my guns but will probably never buy one on her own. There interests are just different. My wife is very excited about the new Mercedes AMG that we are picking up at the factory next spring.......but would never have bought it on her own.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top