JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's the same types of a-holes that smoke and think that the world is their ashtray.

It also has a lot to do with the ethnic background of the population in general. You can see this if you travel. Some countries are spotless while others are like a visit to the dump. When these people immigrated to the US, they brought that aspect of their culture with them, and depending on which area they settled in, it is reflected there.
Let's face it, the big cities in the Northwest are a lot cleaner than those in the Northeast.

It's the same types of a-holes that smoke and think that the world is their ashtray.

It also has a lot to do with the ethnic background of the population in general. You can see this if you travel. Some countries are spotless while others are like a visit to the dump. When these people immigrated to the US, they brought that aspect of their culture with them, and depending on which area they settled in, it is reflected there.
Let's face it, the big cities in the Northwest are a lot cleaner than those in the Northeast.

I haven't been Northeast, but I used to live in the Tri-Cities, in Southern WA. Some people called it the "Dry-Sh*tties." The whole place is like a desert and the population of 2 of the 3 cities is mostly undesirables.

Leave it better than you found it.

Exactly!

I recently got back in to shooting as an adult. It took me all of about 30 seconds to realize that it'd be impossible to pick up every empty shell my 10/22 scatters about. And it kind of bothered me at first. Then I realized: for every 1 I shoot, I can easily find 2 laying on the ground. I always come home with more brass than I've shot. Always. And I make everyone with me do the same.

On the other hand, not picking up your trash is just inexcusable. To me, this includes whatever you've been shooting at (which is why I'll never shoot at glass!)

Thanks to everyone who leaves their area cleaner than they found it!

Exactly!

I recently got back in to shooting as an adult. It took me all of about 30 seconds to realize that it'd be impossible to pick up every empty shell my 10/22 scatters about. And it kind of bothered me at first. Then I realized: for every 1 I shoot, I can easily find 2 laying on the ground. I always come home with more brass than I've shot. Always. And I make everyone with me do the same.

On the other hand, not picking up your trash is just inexcusable. To me, this includes whatever you've been shooting at (which is why I'll never shoot at glass!)

Thanks to everyone who leaves their area cleaner than they found it!

With the price on recycled brass, I rarely see shell casings of any size in the actual trash, unless they are steel cases...

With the price on recycled brass, I rarely see shell casings of any size in the actual trash, unless they are steel cases...

I don't use steel, but leaving steel casings is probably not that bad. I would assume that they rust and disappear pretty quickly.
You're right on brass. Last time I was out, I walked around and picked up a bunch of nice re-loadable brass that someone just left behind.
Sadly, that pit has been closed for well over a year and the only place I shoot anymore is an indoor range, which limits me to handguns.

it makes me sick to see all the crap that gets hauled up to my usual shooting spots. last time I was up there I saw 2 computer monitors all shot up. I think I will take my truck up there this weekend and grab all I can... may as well considering no one else will

I have seen some of the same trash in the woods for years. I am a hunter and nothing bothers me more than seeing people disrespect the wilderness by bringing their junk in the wood s to shoot. I agree with all of the dumb bubba, 18 year old kid with a rusty old SKS comments, but I think the reason for the litter is lack of training. Allow me to explain… I learned to shoot from my Dad. Before he thought me how to shoot, he thought me how to be respectful. Shooting in the woods is a privilege. Just like any other privilege, it can be revoked if it is abused. Many people don’t get this type of training from dear old Dad anymore and thus a lack of respect = shot up junk in the woods. If we are not careful, and treat the woods with respect, we will end up having to have a permit to discharge a firearm on public lands to fund the cleanup of stated trash. And as we all know, they will pass it because the gun lobby in Oregon is not big enough to beat the environmental lobby and the money will end up funding free lunch for 3rd graders instead.

Some people don't give a S--T and think don't think about the larger picture of these outdoor shooting areas getting shut down. These are the same people that leave there lunch in the company frig for a year. Unfortunately it is up to common sense individuals to clean up after them so we can enjoy the sport we love outdoors. Ya is sucks.

I used to shoot at Memaloose, but it was depressing standing in a landfill, and shooting. Also there are usually quite a few people up there everytime I go. I'll share a little secret with you guys if you want to go to an area that everyone who uses it respects it. Go up to Indian Henry campground, go past it up the road a ways, when you see a beaver dam off to the right your about halfway there. There is a pit up there that you can throw grenades at, and be completely safe. I have never seen a soul up there any time I have been shooting up there. The only garbage I have ever seen was a cabinet left in the middle of the pit, which my buddy, and I hauled out. I normally never tell anyone about this place but hey I like you guys, and you have treated me with respect since I joined this forum. A word of advice park down the little hill, and walk up. We just about got stuck in a 350 super duty (the ground gets kind of soft when it's raining).

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top