Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Why do people throw rocks at bee hive's?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JimmyS1985, Jan 1, 2013.

1. JimmyS1985

JimmyS1985 St.Louis Active Member

I don't think it's an example of the smartest human behavior. One thing that I have alway's loved to do, whether in my youth, or into my adult years, is when I come across a bee's nest, I generally screw around with it. If it was an underground nest, my friend and I would sneak up with a shovel and dig it up. I remember coming across a wasp's nest and I didn't have the gut's but my gutsier friend walked up with a big can of wasp killer and sprayed the hell out of the nest and then ran like hell inside.

I've gotten stung one time screwing around with bee's, I was about 9 year's old at the time, I had been spraying an underground nest of yellow jacket's with a hose without getting stung that I eventually got gutsy enough to walk up with a fly swatter and started swatting the hell out of the bee's and one got me right under my eye, I knew then to take more caution if I'm gonna screw around with future bee's nest as my eye had gotten quite swollen, it was right on the eye lid. I inflicted a good amount of bee casualties on the hive though prior to getting stung.

My most recent interaction with the pest's was a few years ago when I was at my brother's house and he had two friend's over. First thing he told me was that the vacant house next door, which had some old garbage can's had some bee's living in the bottom of one of the can's. We would run up, kick the can, and then run back and watch a horde of 150 bee's come out, buzzing around looking for someone to sting but no where in sight. I've only been stung like 3x in my entire life (Once I got stung just running across the yard not screwing around with a bee's nest, it was completely random and my leg went into a brief state of paralysis), something about the danger of being stung 100x is appealing to me.

My friend has this mean Doberman Pinscher, and he attack's with no warning a lot of the time. He has bitten several people bad, and is by every definition of the word a "dangerous dog". My friend told me to take his bone so I started to and he lunged at me. Just before he was about to give me a dog bite that would of easily put me in the hospital, my friend tackled him before he could bite hard. He broke the skin, but it wasn't a bad bite. Something about that risk of winding up in the hospital bed for screwing around with something dangerous is appealing and I don't know why.

2. michaels

michaels oregon Active Member

Because it's fun......

3. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Redcap, mjbskwim, PaulZ and 3 others like this.
  4. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight...

Someone told you to attempt to take a bone from a large, powerful dog bred for its superior ability to attack and maim, and you did?

nwwoodsman and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

Oh, like that activity would have never occured to you.

:laugh:

6. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

7. bnsaibum

bnsaibum Corvallis, OR Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

No need to be so polite, Redcap. We know he's both.:lolbeat:

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  8. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

I'll have to go with stupid too.

9. BVB

BVB PDX Active Member

definitely TROLL

10. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

Yep, this is the bait. After a day or two he'll post some long lefty diatribe.

1 person likes this.
  11. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Dude, since Americas honey bees are threatened by Colony Colapse Disorder please stick to fooling around with savage dogs. If you need a fix I will volunteer my dog for your enjoyment! She is a good bit larger than a Doberman and so should provide you with a real thrill! You can take her food! I'm not tackling her though.

12. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Go find a Bald Faced hornets nest and try the rock thing. I'll bet you only do it once.

13. Flyingswords

Flyingswords Texas Active Member

Or go to Japan and do it to a japanese giant hornets nest. They are bigger than the bald faced ones and are alot meaner.

14. salmonriverjohn

They hunt you and take serious revenge. Some people don't survive it, truly the apex winged insect predator of north America. Gives a whole new meaning to gotcha.

15. powermad

powermad Portland Active Member

Never messed with bees but there were a lot of wasps that lived in the walls of of the drainage canals by my house.
    When I was 7 or 8 we used to stir them up with a stick and run like hell, they would chase you forever.
    Wound up getting stung so many times on one run that it put me in the hospital near death. I looked like the elephant boy for a week. Haven't had to use a baking soda and water poultice in nearly 40 years.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

16. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

"Why do people throw rocks at bee hive's?"

I'm not exactly sure, but I have this irresistible urge to do so every time I see one.

17. salmonriverjohn

It's a damned shame, but I'm stuck carrying at least one Epi kit wherever I go during the warm months. Just a trade off I guess. And yes, I still pitch a few now and then. After which I run like a dog in a cat show.

18. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

We used to shoot the big paper wasp nests hanging in trees. Wait til dusk, take aim with an old double barrel 12ga with the smallest shot we could get, and let it have both barrels. Vapor. Of course we always ran like hell, but it usually made them go away.

19. DeadEyeMcGoo

DeadEyeMcGoo Seattle Active Member

I came here expecting a political rant. :(

Bigfoot and (deleted member) like this.
  20. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I'm sure one's coming.