JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So here is my dilema i would like answered.. how is it possible to buy a weapon here or on any site for any kind of deal with all the fees for a xfer?
An example : i was recently looking at a handgun here that was listed for almost $200 under msrp and was listed as only having 200 rounds thru it.
I went to a local ffl and he said i would have to pay him $35 for the xfer $10 for a background check and possibly around another $40 for the sellers ffl fee. And to top it off i would have to pay shipping.
Now the gun that was $200 under msrp is now not such a good deal.
Can someone tell me if i am being misled or am i missing something?
Btw the pistol is out of state if i forgot to mention that. Hence the ffl xfer.

Thanks in advance on any input.

In this case you would just have your local ffl order one for you. It doesn't seem often that you can get a NIB firearm that is still in production online from out of state for much less than msrp or street price after all expenses are paid but some people still like to buy that way. Sometimes that is the only way to buy an out of production or collectible firearm. Sometimes there will not be an ffl fee on the sellers end but either way it's not a lot of difference.

So its just gonna be more advantageous for me to only buy in state it sounds like. Im stuck over here on the coast so its not like i can just jump on the good deals in Portland every day. Was trying to broaden my options. So what are the advantagez of auctions like gunbroker if i still have to pay ffl and background on every gun? Vs just buying from a local dealer, i dont see many great deals on any modern semis that im interested in?

If you are buying it from a person, ask him what is shipped price.

then you only pay background fee and ffl transfer fee when you pick it up.

So actual price of the gun and additional $50 -/+

shop for your FFL.... some FFL's will accept a transfer from a private citizen (AKA not another FFL) I recently did this with a lower. Shipping can be expensive if it is a complete firearm, the way around that is to ship it in pieces (2 packages)

So here is my dilema i would like answered.. how is it possible to buy a weapon here or on any site for any kind of deal with all the fees for a xfer?
An example : i was recently looking at a handgun here that was listed for almost $200 under msrp and was listed as only having 200 rounds thru it.
I went to a local ffl and he said i would have to pay him $35 for the xfer $10 for a background check and possibly around another $40 for the sellers ffl fee. And to top it off i would have to pay shipping.
Now the gun that was $200 under msrp is now not such a good deal.
Can someone tell me if i am being misled or am i missing something?
Btw the pistol is out of state if i forgot to mention that. Hence the ffl xfer.

Thanks in advance on any input.

Below is the BATFE answer; it looks like you would only have to pay for the FFL on your end. The guy you are buying it from should just be able to mail it to your FFL in your area without using an FFL on his end.

7. May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across State lines?

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via common or contract carrier.(18 U.S.C. §§ 1715). Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received. 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A).

Ok that makes sense. So then i would pay my ffl, background check and possibly sellers shipping. Guess my next question is that i havent purchased a firearm thru anyone but a dealer.. what is the preferred payment for the purchase in this scenario and is there any way of protecting myself from fraud aka. "Thanks for the $" now he doesnt ship my firearm...?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

My FFL charges just $20.00 and the BGC will come into any firearms purchase from a FFL in Oregon no matter if its shipped in or in stock. So that is moot.

And many times an out of state purchase is a good deal when your looking for an uncommon item. I just bought a 1974 Ruger M77V in 22-250 from a guy in NC rifle was $425.00 shipped (about $200 under market here or gunbroker) my FFL charged me $20.00 for the transfer and $10.0 for the BGC. and for $455.00 I had a rifle I have been looking for for 4 years.

You should be able to find transfer from $20-30 INCLUDING THE BACKGROUND IN THAT FIGURE. Shipping- Some sellers dn't want to ship, espexially handguns, due to cost or "hassle". Alot will have shipping already figured in.

Below is the BATFE answer; it looks like you would only have to pay for the FFL on your end. The guy you are buying it from should just be able to mail it to your FFL in your area without using an FFL on his end.

7. May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across State lines?

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via common or contract carrier.(18 U.S.C. §§ 1715). Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient's State of residence. FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received. 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A).

While that is 100% correct it does not always work like that. With long guns you can simply go any shipper including USPS and send it off for ~$25.

If you are selling a handgun if you ship it via carrier (UPS/Fedex/ect) they require overnight shipping usually over $70. You can not legally mail it but an FFL can so then the sender would have to pay an FFL fee but then the shipping will be under $15 using a flat rate box.

On top of that some FFL's will NOT receive firearms from private parties (even though 100% legal) so either you have to find another FFL or the seller will have to take it to their FFL and pay a fee.

Also the $10 background fee is an OR thing which we dont have up here in WA.

Many times cross state line sales of pistols are not cost effective. Just how life is sometimes.

I'd shop around for transfer fees. A quick look shows WESLEYS TRADING POST, CHRISTENSEN REPAIR SHOP, BEAR MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS, NEWPORT GUNS, and LINCOLN CITY SPORTING GOODS as FFL dealers in or near Toledo. My guy charges $20 + background check, and I had to pay $25 for the shipping on the last gun I had shipped in.

You can not legally mail it but an FFL can so then the sender would have to pay an FFL fee but then the shipping will be under $15 using a flat rate box.

What do you mean by this? Are you talking about through the USPS for handguns? If so, that is correct, as stated in my post. I think you are a little off on the overnight price though, I have never paid that much. It also depends on who you use for shipping, some shippers only require 2 day shipping for firearms.

Ok so shipping can be done by anyone besides USPS.. Thanks for all the input. My last question is payment. What is the prefered payment for this type of transaction? And am i protected any way by fraud like i send a money order and never recieve a weapon?

it's always at your own risk. Your buying something across the US from someone you've never met. Ways to cover yourself: do your footwork- if a forum look for past feedback on the person/their posts. If an auction site- same thing.

Shipping- USPS a non-FFL can not ship a handgun end of story. UPS/FEDEX- anyone can ship a firearm via them, however they both have policies that handguns must go overnight air. Items going out of state must ship to an FFL.

Payment: If you're the one paying a cashiers check from your bank, provided the seller will accept, is probably best bet. The most common forms of payment are USPS MO and paypal gift- both of those if something goes screwy, you're pretty well screwed. Again the best way to protect yourself is to put in the work before $$$ ever leaves your hands.

Ok that makes sense. So then i would pay my ffl, background check and possibly sellers shipping. Guess my next question is that i havent purchased a firearm thru anyone but a dealer.. what is the preferred payment for the purchase in this scenario and is there any way of protecting myself from fraud aka. "Thanks for the $" now he doesnt ship my firearm...?

Since you're talking about buying the only things that should concern as far as cost is A) what the person is asking for the gun shipped and B) what your FFL charges to transfer. You don't care how much it will cost them to ship, or if there's a unicorn drawn on the box for mythical protection. All you need to know is what they want for gun 'X' shipped to your FFL in OR, and what your FFL will charge to do transfer.

the OP asks WHY purchase across state lines? Because someone in another state has a weapon you want, at a price you want to pay, and no-one locally does? BTW: FFL transfer fees, whether an FFL will only accept from another FFL etc...those questions are strictly dependent on the FFL used, no law involved. Some FFL's charge $10, some charge over $100 for a transfer...I think the average seems to be somewhere between $20 and $30. The guy I use asks for $20.

the OP asks WHY purchase across state lines? Because someone in another state has a weapon you want, at a price you want to pay, and no-one locally does? BTW: FFL transfer fees, whether an FFL will only accept from another FFL etc...those questions are strictly dependent on the FFL used, no law involved. Some FFL's charge $10, some charge over $100 for a transfer...I think the average seems to be somewhere between $20 and $30. The guy I use asks for $20.

You sure about that transfer fee?

I shipped a ar 15 lower to a FFL in conn. and I didnt pay anything, however the guy on the receiving end payed something like $20
some ffl wont accept from a private party but I havent came across one that wont.

And for the OP.

Sometimes people are willing to drive across state lines to a FFL to help out, that way you only have to pay the one transfer feee, I have offered to do it on some of my sales.

Hope that helps..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads