JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have some hard cast lead bullet reloaded ammunition that has been stored loose in an ammo can. I noticed that the cases feel "sticky". I believe the sticky feel is from the lube.

1. Should I not store reloaded hard cast ammunition loose in a can?

2. How long will the ammunition last stored this way?

Just curious if the ammo was sticky when first placed in the ammo can and what caliber the ammo might be as well as the type of lube the bullets have? I reload mostly cast ammo and there is lube that will get smeared on the sides of the cases during the bullet seating stage a lot of times. If the cases were free of lube when stored initially, then temperature may have played a part in getting the lube to melt enough to migrage out of the case possibly.

This might be something of mild concern. It is not a good idea to have any sort of lubricating (or polishing) compound on the exterior of brass. Brass needs to do its job when being fired, which is to create a gas seal. Lubricant or polishing substance on the exterior can prevent (or hinder: I wanted to use the term than ends with "tard" and starts with "re", but previous experience with the site's overbearing censor software says no) the brass from gripping the chamber wall instantly and thoroughly as it should upon ignition of the powder.

A well-lubed case (or chamber wall), either from residual sizing lube, polish, or gun lubricant may also allow the brass to slide, creating excessive thrust against the bolt face as well.

Our brass should ideally be free of any of these compounds, and in fact NOT extremely bright-and-shiny polished to grip as it should, seal as it should.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top