JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think I want one! Would you buy again? Or would you look at something different?

At first I thought I wanted a RZR, but I like having the larger dump bed for carrying stuff...

whoops maybe move it to off topic... sorry

I think I want one! Would you buy again? Or would you look at something different?

At first I thought I wanted a RZR, but I like having the larger dump bed for carrying stuff...

whoops maybe move it to off topic... sorry

I have a Polaris Ranger EV (electric). It is perfect for what I use it for, and I don't have to worry about driving 20 miles to the nearest gas station. Everything depends on what you want it to do. With the electric you can easily run 10 miles of fence before you need to worry about plugging in and carry everything you need to repair fence, haul gravel, firewood, saws. whatever. The real 4 wheel drive works very well. I have a snow plow, and went better than 1/2 the winter before I chained up (because of ice) If it is just snow, you don't need chains.

The EV is not for trail running, you can't carry extra electricity and just dump it in at any time, but on our small farm in the mountains, it is great. I figure I need to get at least 500 hours out of the batteries to have them pay for themselves (a battery set is almost $2k) I have a bit over 250 hours on mine, and I think with the battery minders I can probably get 1000 hrs out of them from how they are performing so far, so the electric may end up being less expensive overall. Full recharge cost's me about $0.60. Try fill a Ranger xp400 up on $0.60, eh?

If I wanted to go big, I would get a Ranger XP 900. Those things are huge. I measured one out...it is just as wide, and only a couple inches shorter than my 1986 Bronco II.

IMHO: The RZR versions are for play, the XP versions are for work. What do you want to do with the UTV?

Remember, most Rangers (and most UTV's) do not have engine braking when coming down a hill. The Ranger HD 800 EPS is the one only one I know of (other than the EV which has regenerative braking) It's a good size, and has a nice size dump bed.

That's good info - I definitely want engine braking. The place I plan to use it most has some big long downhills.

I really like the original John Deere Gator's too. I have not really looked at the new Gator, but I understand they do have a power dumpbox option. So, back to what you are really want to do with you UTV. I will say that if you have a bit of an unbalance load of gravel in a Ranger, it can be a bit of a chore to dump. If you plan to carry and dump a lot of stuff from your dumpbox you might consider looking at a Gator with that power dump box..

I had a good place to purchase my Polaris from...The local John Deere farm equipment dealer. The reason I did not get into a Gator was I really, really, wanted electric because of how far we live from a gas station. Shop careful and you can find something to properly fit your needs, and most of your wants. Oh, with the Gator's...they also have toy Gators (like the Polaris RZR)..those are not for work, they are only for play.

If you do a lot of work on hills, you are going to want to put that engine breaking up high on your list too. Unfortunately, I do not know which Gator's have engine braking available, but I do know that the HD 850 EPS (electronic power steering...nice option) is the only Polaris Ranger with engine braking except for the EV

You dont really say what you are planning on doing so hard to say if it is good or not.

I really like the idea of the UTV and they are cool but not for me. My buddies all have ATV's and I like to ride with them.

I have 2 of the Sportsman 6x6's. I really liked my first one but it needed a little more power. Took a bit of maintenance on the chain drive. Just left a bit to be desired.

I picked up one of the new 800 efi ones and they are amazing. Plenty of power, independent rear shaft dive suspension, box built into the front, love this machine. This one does have descent control and it is good and bad. It does not work well unless you have a good load on it. But when you do it will just creep down a very steep incline.

DSC_0003-1.jpg

I have used these machines for everything you can think of. Hauling dirt/gravel, Fire Fighting, Snow plowing, Fire wood, hunting, weed spraying, oh yeah and fun

I'm looking at a ranger because my 2 sportman 500s can't haul stuff very well, when I'm working on our camp property. I could use the ranger to haul tools, gear, materials etc to whatever I'm working on - and still be able to drive down to the range or the marina store - (all private roads). I'll admit, it would be a toy too... there are tons of trails and fun to be had.

Those are all things I do with mine. If you like what you have now the 6x6 might be a good option. Again I really like the ones I have.

Here is the only pic I have of the new one "working",

892532_164141300415931_1617673396_o.jpg

902534_164142367082491_2065477681_o.jpg

I'm looking at a ranger because my 2 sportman 500s can't haul stuff very well, when I'm working on our camp property. I could use the ranger to haul tools, gear, materials etc to whatever I'm working on - and still be able to drive down to the range or the marina store - (all private roads). I'll admit, it would be a toy too... there are tons of trails and fun to be had.

The Ranger, or the 6X6 Sportsman setup like Nwcid has, will both work for fun and for hard work. It really comes down to whether or not you want a side by side, or not. I particularly like the side-by-side configuration as I am a bit disabled, as is my wife. Obviously Nwcid likes the tandem configuration better.

Go give an HD 850 ESP a test run and see which arrangement you personally like the best.

When you order your Polaris, make sure you order the horn and turn signals. Then you may not be limited to private roads only. Up here in Okanogan Co, you can drive you OVR licensed ATV/UTV on the city streets in several of the towns, (Okanogan, Conconully, Tonasket) and some of the county, state lands and forest service roads, you can cross, but not drive down, a state or US Hwy. (again, limited to roads with speed limits of 35 mph and under, paved or gravel)

You need to check your area to see if they have made accommodation for ATV/UTV use of your local roads too. In Okanogan Co, and the city's, there is an ordinance that governs. Look it up.

My EV is licensed and legal on County Roads with speed less than 35 mph as a medium speed electric vehicle (can't go over 35) it is also licensed as an ORV. (The new Ranger LSV is licensable as a low speed electric vehicle, (25 mph max) my Ranger is an EV, I have clocked it at 35 with my GPS)

Arctic Cat 650 TBX

I recently sold a Yamaha Rhino 660 for a friend of mine that didn't want to hassle with selling it. I found it very loud and badly underpowered, poor visibility due to the enclosed cab. not my cup of tea.

Arctic Cat 650 TBX

I recently sold a Yamaha Rhino 660 for a friend of mine that didn't want to hassle with selling it. I found it very loud and badly underpowered, poor visibility due to the enclosed cab. not my cup of tea.

I don't like the complete cab either. My ranger has a windshield, that is it. I doo like the roll bars and 3 point shoulder straps though. IMHO: Rhino's roll too easily.

Since my brother works for Polaris in Minnesota, and we get a new model every 2 years as demo models, and then buy those models at below manufactures price, after depreciation, I can say they are a good product. The main difference between models is the engine. 4wheelers, I have a
XP800X2, which is the 4 wheeler with a dump box, but only has 4 wheels, not the 6 wheel long version, but the frame size of a regular 4 wheeler - great design and sweet 4wheeler, can haul a 300 pound whitetail deer, or just tools - but the larger engine is not needed, and sucks a lot more gas - unless you are driving 20 miles on roads, don't get the bigger engine - they will not get you out of mud any better. the rangers, we have had all of them. My favorite, the regular 500 ranger XP, AGAIN, you do not need the extra engine, just because your beer drinking neighbor says his can do 70mph, lol, well, good for him. on the trail, in woods, or in the yard, the larger engines have so much torch, they are not enjoyable to drive, unless your hauling *** on the road full throttle. the razors were built to combat the competition of the yamaha's. People race these, they sand dune them, and they sell because idiot guys think they have a little pee-pee and this toy will make it grow. Unlessi you want to stroke your wiener with your neighbor in the next seat, or if all you plan on doing is trailering it to a trail network and driving it for the afternoon, don't get one. The one plus they have is certain models are sized to configure with certain trail width dimensions in certain states. short story, great products, don't have to buy the biggest model engine, and can drive them for years with nothing more than oil and maintenance. I have a 8 year old ranger 500 with only oil and grease put into it and I can have any model current offered, but this is perfect for me.!!

Since my brother works for Polaris in Minnesota, and we get a new model every 2 years as demo models, and then buy those models at below manufactures price, after depreciation, I can say they are a good product. The main difference between models is the engine. 4wheelers, I have a
XP800X2, which is the 4 wheeler with a dump box, but only has 4 wheels, not the 6 wheel long version, but the frame size of a regular 4 wheeler - great design and sweet 4wheeler, can haul a 300 pound whitetail deer, or just tools - but the larger engine is not needed, and sucks a lot more gas - unless you are driving 20 miles on roads, don't get the bigger engine - they will not get you out of mud any better. the rangers, we have had all of them. My favorite, the regular 500 ranger XP, AGAIN, you do not need the extra engine, just because your beer drinking neighbor says his can do 70mph, lol, well, good for him. on the trail, in woods, or in the yard, the larger engines have so much torch, they are not enjoyable to drive, unless your hauling *** on the road full throttle. the razors were built to combat the competition of the yamaha's. People race these, they sand dune them, and they sell because idiot guys think they have a little pee-pee and this toy will make it grow. Unlessi you want to stroke your wiener with your neighbor in the next seat, or if all you plan on doing is trailering it to a trail network and driving it for the afternoon, don't get one. The one plus they have is certain models are sized to configure with certain trail width dimensions in certain states. short story, great products, don't have to buy the biggest model engine, and can drive them for years with nothing more than oil and maintenance. I have a 8 year old ranger 500 with only oil and grease put into it and I can have any model current offered, but this is perfect for me.!!

The EV is the same frame and running gear as the 400 and 500, difference is the 30 HP Electric motor and 800lbs of Batteries. I agree, it is a good size, and 35 mph is darn fast enough.

Up here in Okanogan Co, you can drive you OVR licensed ATV/UTV on the city streets in several of the towns, (Okanogan, Conconully, Tonasket) and some of the county, state lands and forest service roads, you can cross, but not drive down, a state or US Hwy. (again, limited to roads with speed limits of 35 mph and under, paved or gravel)
As soon as Oregon pulls it's narrow minded head out and allows something similar I will stick with my quad (Sportsman 500) As far as that goes most of us here would appreciate Oregon recognizing quads as motorcycles and giving us the same class-3 designation so we can at least ride on the horizontally numbered roads and not have to comply with the most incredibly complicated road regulations ever - while a street legal dirt bike can go essentially anywhere - as long as the road is legal to be on.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top