JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for someone who is set up for and good at welding stainless. I have a caspian 1911 frame that fits my slide a bit on the loose side for my taste. I have milling equipment and have welded and re-machined rails on a few carbon steel frames with good results so I am confident I can do the machining portion, just need a couple beads run down the tops of the rails by someone who is set up for stainless and knows how to use their equipment. Will pay you for your time!!

Thanks.

I called a couple just out of the phone book today and neither one was willing to work on a gun. Didn't go all the way down the list though.

And yes a tig would be best.

Welding and re-cutting the rails IS THE PROPER WAY. Try calling Halo Manufacturing- Their phone # is a home phone and he has a seperate job as well so may take a day or two to connect. If he isn't set up for SS or not taking work right now I have two friends I can call to see if they can do SS.

It seams like a lot of work when all you have to do is tighten the rails. There is a proper way to do it without the possibility of warping the frame.

Merely suggesting another way. It's just not the technique we used when I worked at Detonics nor something I was taught at Yavapai College. The competition 1911s I built over time, I just tightened the rails fore and aft about an inch, then polished.
We all have different ways of looking at things, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Peening isn't wrong, but if done wrong you'll crack a rail (your method is spot on!) and it's a quick fix. Welding the frame up and recutting the rails for that slide you can get a much much better fit, and it'll be the whole length of the rails. Not just bending the rails to squeeze together.

The guy at Halo couldn't do it (very nice guy though) however he referred me to someone who can. (Meyers Fabrication) Thanks for the info!!!

Hi Tech guy with a nice, high tech shop. He does specialized tig work for a number of custom gunmakers and custom gunsmiths. He has
done a lot of work for us. Little to no heat transfer around the area. Does excellent on the pre-war Winchesters we restore and firearms
that have too many holes in them from a previous owner or a botched home done job:laugh :

Not his side job or P/T thing. His occupation and trade. He does specialty work for a number of manufactures in the valley.

Sincerely, WVG
Willamette Valley Gunsmithing Company

Hi Tech guy with a nice, high tech shop. He does specialized tig work for a number of custom gunmakers and custom gunsmiths. He has
done a lot of work for us. Little to no heat transfer around the area. Does excellent on the pre-war Winchesters we restore and firearms
that have too many holes in them from a previous owner or a botched home done job:laugh :

Not his side job or P/T thing. His occupation and trade. He does specialty work for a number of manufactures in the valley.

Sincerely, WVG
Willamette Valley Gunsmithing Company

Funny you should mention it, Kevin is a member here and already contacted me about it!! He seems to really know his stuff. I am going to drop it off to him as soon as our schedules mesh.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top