JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Almost always toss cases and boxes. Occasionally if it is a sturdy case, like some Smiths are shipped in, I'll keep them for transport. But not a fan of clutter.

Cases yes, boxes no. Especially rifle boxes. I didn't have enough room to store rifle boxes just for the sake of storing them

Ideally I would like to keep my pistols with the matching cases and accessories. But space is at a premium, so I condensed my pistols and/or frames in ammo boxes.

If I thought it would make much difference in resale value (more than 5 or 10%), having the case, I can box them up and throw them in the attic. They don't weigh much.

I just watched an episode of hoarders and decided I might have to make some tough decisions.

Last Edited:
Ideally I would like to keep my pistols with the matching cases and accessories. But space is at a premium, so I condensed my pistols and/or frames in ammo boxes.

If I thought it would make much difference in resale value (more than 5 or 10%), having the case, I can box them up and throw them in the attic. They don't weigh much.

I just watched an episode of horders and decided I might have to make some tough decisions.
Did you watch the episode , or were you approached by the producers of the show?

I keep them, and when buying a used firearm, I appreciate if the seller has the box and papers it came with. Also, when selling, I think some buyers appreciate getting the original box with it.

Whether it brings more $, I think it depends. A 2 year old plastic framed handgun, maybe not, but as more time passes, I think it may. A 40 or 50 year old smith or colt, pretty sure having the original box would put a few extra $ in your pocket. Now whether it's worth it to keep for those years, each of us had to decide.

I've bought many more second hand guns sans cases or boxes over the years as against new ones that came with them. New handguns I've always kept the container. It's my general experience that having it tends to bring a little more money at time of sale, maybe. It can't hurt. Long gun boxes, I don't typically keep because of the space issue already mentioned. But I do have a few that I've kept that came with older, used guns. Which might have some smidgen of resale enhancement. If I have the box a long gun came in that is being thrown away, I keep the end paper with data on it for reference.

Most new handguns these days come in some kind of plastic case. Maybe it has to do with the safety thing, as I've noted some that have little molded in hasps that might be secured with a tiny padlock. But for donkey's years, they simply came in paper boxes. Smith & Wesson had the nice stiff paper boxes with metal reinforced corners. I was disappointed the first time I bought a Smith and it came in a one piece folded cardboard box. Lear Siegler corporate change, maybe.

Okay, having said most new guns come in molded plastic cases now, when I bought a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm, it came in (literally) a plain brown box. Not even the splash of typical Ruger yellow ink.

Every - single - one.

Same with stereo equipment boxes, manuals, all of it.

Suspect it comes from my Ebay days of the early 2000s, 20 -30% more if the item included the original packaging.

Why do I still do this, dunno. Probably on the spectrum, not like I'm going to sell any of it :D

I keep them all. I've got a 30' X 30' shop where I can stick rifle boxes in the rafters. I keep all of my pistol boxes in a cupboard in the house. The guns are all in a safe. I like getting the box when I purchase something, but it's not a deal breaker. I've sold guns to people that couldn't care less about the box. If I have it, I include it, so I don't have boxes for guns I no longer own.

Back before SB941 came into existence, I bought a Glock off a guy in a parking lot. I was pleased to see the box was included. It seemed to me having the box reduced the likelihood the gun was stolen. When I got home, I realized the box was from a .45 caliber model, not the .40 caliber I purchased. :s0092: So much for that theory.

I save everything! I chuckle at the classifieds that read;

"Brand new, never fired, no box or paperwork"

That's just unbelievable to me.
They might as well be trying to sell me a bridge!
Just the way I think, maybe.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews