JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I listed a safe queen for sale yesterday because I have something I was going to use the money towards. I figured I hadn't and wasn't going to shoot it anyway. Well surprise, surprise, instead of selling the pistol I ended up trading it for what will probably be another safe queen. I just couldn't resist. Now I'm torn between selling this new pistol or "storing" it as I had the previous one.

What I really need is more intel on exactly what I have here from someone that knows more than I do about Colt or 1911 firearms. I took a chance on this Colt .45 ACP Light Weight Commander because it just looked so damn pretty! I was told by the other party that this was manufactured in 1991. Can anyone confirm that for me, or tell me how to date this thing? I was also told that because it had the polished bluing on the sides of the slide, as opposed to the matte bluing, that it was kind of special. The gun is unfired brand new except for whatever the factory might have tested through it. It came in the original boxes and with all the original papers. The pictures don't do it justice either. This thing is in pristine condition! The model number on the box is *04840. I'm not sure if the asterisk that precedes the number means anything.

The safe queen I traded for it was priced at $900 by me. This Colt 1911 was priced at 1K but we traded straight across. Did I do okay? I'm used to losing on deals so don't be afraid to hurt my feelings. Here is the eye candy.

ay4sg8.jpg

1zc31x4.jpg

s2tj82.jpg

152eq07.jpg

24g9m2t.jpg

iz8eur.jpg

2u44lc9.jpg

Ima 1911 guy. I think you did right nice. Would have made the same trade. I seem to recall there are several sites on the net you can use the Colt serial # to find its exact age. You also might try out any one of the 1911 forums out there. Interesting what you might find. Half the fun is looking. Heck, google the pistol name and serial number first and see what pops up. Did that with a Springer TRP and found lots of good stuff. Good Luck.
Pops [also an old 11Bravo :)]

nice find. I have the "enhanced" version of that pistol and they are excellent shooters and very reliable. Mine has the polished bluing on the slide too, I had no idea that was unique...

Given the vintage and condition I don't blame you to keep that a safe queen, but should you decide to use it, it will never let you down. Wish I knew more about Colts

Another "Get a great gun and not shoot it" thread! What to do, what to do?....Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other. :s0008: :D

I'd shoot it. Hell, I'd carry it, too. Yeah, eventually you'll lose some "collector value", but honestly, I don't think anything makes this special other than you have all of the goodies it came with. I think you did just fine on the price.
Even if this was an "Enhanced" (beavertail, slanted slide serrations) I don't think it's ever gonna have great value. I think you can use it, take good care of it and not lose any money. It's a very nice gun, but what was it made for anyway?

I don't think I would consider this one a collectible just yet. Give these blue Box Colts another 40 years and they sure will be. I also checked a few sources, prior to posting my question about the serial number. I thought maybe that slip sleeve was for a different pistol? I can also see the serial number on the pistol now on my laptop.

I'm not sure why Colt has not updated their website search feature. I think $1000 is right on the high end of what its worth. These are awesome little pistols and very well made. And it will be a keeper for sure. But a collectable, not quite yet.

I thought maybe that slip sleeve was for a different pistol?
if you mean the 1 piece wrap around grips they came like that, mine came with them they are made here in Portland by Houge. The OPs grips look much nicer than mine I think Colt compromised quality on that with the E models I took mine off years ago. Personally I like the OPs design better than the Enhanced the features they enhanced didn't do much to improve the gun in my opinion and were mostly cosmetic which the 1911 doesn't need improving on...

I was told by the other party that this was manufactured in 1991. Can anyone confirm that for me, or tell me how to date this thing?
I can only confirm the gun was made prior to mine in 97 because it doesn't have the Enhanced features. Colts serial number website, you have to be logged in.
The model number on the box is *04840. I'm not sure if the asterisk that precedes the number means anything.
Download model 0 schematic here: http://www.coltsmfg.com/DesktopModu...ore_Download&EntryId=114&PortalId=0&TabId=207

download owners manual here: http://www.coltsmfg.com/DesktopModu...Core_Download&EntryId=41&PortalId=0&TabId=207
must be logged into Colts website to download documents... but I still find it worthless it never could find mine.

I don't think I would consider this one a collectible just yet. Give these blue Box Colts another 40 years and they sure will be.
I paid $550 for mine NIB back in 97. The OP traded a $900 safe queen for it...

Id say if the OP already has a carry pistol and just enjoys collecting or trading than keep it pristine and see what it becomes in another 20 years, I do think this one is worth holding onto. But if the OP is in need of a new carry gun than go for it this makes a fine piece, IMO I also love the look of a well worn 1911 they all have a story to tell.
This thread is interesting because when I got mine it was specifically to use and abuse its well worn and weathered but now I cant help but wonder what its worth and if its a lot I should retire it early for safekeeping.

Last Edited:
if you mean the 1 piece wrap around grips they came like that, mine came with them they are made here in Portland by Houge. The OPs grips look much nicer than mine I think Colt compromised quality on that with the E models I took mine off years ago. Personally I like the OPs design better than the Enhanced the features they enhanced didn't do much to improve the gun in my opinion and were mostly cosmetic which the 1911 doesn't need improving on...

I can only confirm the gun was made prior to mine in 97 because it doesn't have the Enhanced features. Colts serial number website, you have to be logged in.

Download model 0 schematic here: http://www.coltsmfg.com/DesktopModu...ore_Download&EntryId=114&PortalId=0&TabId=207

download owners manual here: http://www.coltsmfg.com/DesktopModu...Core_Download&EntryId=41&PortalId=0&TabId=207
must be logged into Colts website to download documents... but I still find it worthless it never could find mine.

I paid $550 for mine NIB back in 97. The OP traded a $900 safe queen for it...

Id say if the OP already has a carry pistol and just enjoys collecting or trading than keep it pristine and see what it becomes in another 20 years, I do think this one is worth holding onto. But if the OP is in need of a new carry gun than go for it this makes a fine piece, IMO I also love the look of a well worn 1911 they all have a story to tell.
This thread is interesting because when I got mine it was specifically to use and abuse its well worn and weathered but now I cant help but wonder what its worth and if its a lot I should retire it early for safekeeping.

Slip Sleeve is referring to the paper wrapper for the box.
Enhanced Models were available in '90 or '91, which is when I passed one up at Maury's Gun Rack.
FYI, Hogue is based in Paso Robles, CA. It's Crimson Trace that's local.

Slip Sleeve is referring to the paper wrapper for the box.
Enhanced Models were available in '90 or '91, which is when I passed one up at Maury's Gun Rack.
yeah, I didn't know what the "slip sleeve" meant... good to know, thanks.
That means my enhanced was a holdout when I bought it. Gives me a better idea of when mine was made because the Colts serial number webpage doesn't work for my number. I thought the Enhanced models were made after the regular ones in an effort to improve sales. If I recall they discontinued the MKIV line after then Enhanced series...?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews