JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've worn out my Redding single stage press and really looking into a turret press. I don't want to order online unlit I can actually see/touch it. I'm in Salem but if anyone knows of a good place that has presses on display please let me know.

I know you are hesitant to order online but eBay occasionally has the older Lyman Spartan T press for quite reasonable prices. They are built like a tank, accommodate 5 dies of any make, and will outlast us all. The newer Lyman Turret press is a good one as well but expensive (so is the Redding). I have used the Lee Classic Turret press for five + years and reloaded thousands of rounds on it. It certainly is the best value on the market. I only recently sold mine because I've moved everything to my Dillon 650XL, including all my rifle cartridges - finally. I successfully used the Lee auto-disk powder measure and the Hornady LNL case activated powder measure on the Lee press. My old Lyman Spartan T, which I got on eBay is a backup press. I keep thinking I'll use it more but the Dillon works fine for rifle and pistol.

I've been eying the Lee Classic Turret, I really only cast and load pistol rounds. Maybe Sportsman's in Portland is worth the drive. The local Sportsman's in Salem is severely dismal when it comes to reloading items in stock. Thanks for the replies.

To go from a Redding to a Lee will be quite a surprise.

What wore out on your Redding? If I can fix it all give you $10.00 for it and come pick it up.

The redding was old when I first got it, possibly 20k loads ago. Now the ram is loose enough in the body I have to manually line up the shell and the dies. I'm really just looking to fairly cheaply replace it. I've really considered the T-7 press as well.

kmk1012: if you only reload pistol cartridges you should consider a progressive press. The jump in reloading speed from a Turret press, even an auto-indexed Turret press to a good progressive press is startling. I have owned several of the popular auto-progressive presses. I first purchased the Lee Loadmaster Auto Progressive. Needless to say, it wasn't very auto, and not very progressive. I spent more time trying to tweak it to perform correctly than actually reloading ammunition. I got tired of the whole thing and switched to the Hornady LnL Auto Progressive. It's a good progressive press but it too seemed to require constant adjusting and I didn't like the fact that there wasn't a tool head/die holder that you could easily swap in and out to change calibers. Finally last year I switched to the Dillon 650 XL. I don't think I'll look back. It's big, substantial, rugged, smooth, easy to adjust, relatively fast to swap calibers, and cranks out 800 rounds per hour or more. Add the automatic case feeder and it's a veritable ammunition factory. Since I reload mostly lead cast bullets for pistol, 308, and 7.62x39 an automatic bullet feeder isn't really an option. The initial cost of a Dillon is a little higher but it's worth it. I can't recommend it more highly.

Another alternative is CH Reloading's "H" press where all 4 dies are set up in a row and you move the case from die to die. It has some advantages and is a really strong press. They also make the "worlds strongest single stage press" a real beast. I don't have the website address but its easy to find.

why not go with a progressive press?

cabelas in tulalip usually has hornady lock & load AP in stock. theres usually a sale promotion on them also.

Wait....you sound familiar.

Could it be that Mr. Lee is visiting the site? I swear that's a quote directly to his modern reloading advertising brochure...errr... I mean his book on modern reloading.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top