JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've built all the 16" AR's I can handle. I want to build something "long range" or "sniper" style in 5.56. I know "long range" is a relative term depending on who you talk to. I just want to build something that can shoot 500-600 yards consistently. Does anyone have experience with barrels longer than 20"?

What is a suitable Length / Make / Model / Twist / Etc...

I want it to look something like this:

Hey, Has anyone considered that in building a "long range" rifle on an AR platform that a scope will get in the way of the charging handle? This is my first build... but I'm still not totally Side Charge1.jpg satisfied

My best long range AR is in 6.5G. I'm lucky to be able to shoot long ranges 1 or 2 times a year so I'm not very good at it (not a cold barrel marksman)

Grendel01_zpsvwjvz3u2.jpg

I assembled this .223W barreled AR last fall and have had 1 range trip. At 200 yds it's very accurate. I want to try it at 600 and 800 yds later this spring.

223W01_zps5kp8mllx.jpg

My most enjoyable AR is this N6 Noveske upper on a ArmaLite lower.

n602_zpsvhougmdv.jpg

I figured that I'd share my build progress on my precision rifle. Parts list: Aero Precision lower, enhanced upper, and 15" keymod rail, CMC 3.5# flat trigger, Lantec enhanced bolt carrier group, Raptor charging handle, Troy ambi safety, Battle Arms takedown pins, Seekins mag release and bolt catch (I had to do some grinding on it so that it would work with the modified upper design), Fortis receiver plate, ALG true mil-spec buffer tube, B5 FDE sopmod enhanced, PSA H3 buffer, Damage Ind chrome-sil buffer spring. A lot of fancy parts that are probably not necessary, but it's fun to build it. Next is my barrel assembly. Thinking an 18" Rainier Ultramatch.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

-snip-

if the 62gr you are shooting are 855/ss109 then the bullet is too long in most cases for 1:9, not all but most. Its not the weight the twist ratio struggles with but it is the length. Because ss109 contains a steel tip it is inherently lighter than lead so in order for the bullet to meet weight it needed to grow in length because growing in diameter is not an option

Please keep saying this because I keep running across guys who don't know it, and we also get younger and newer guys who don't know it.

It's the longer bullet that needs the tighter twist, not the heavier bullet and they don't always mean the same thing.

Cheers

I know you can, just wanted to say that a 20-24 inch barrel isn't a necessity just to shoot out to 500-600 meters.
got ya, good call its not necessary.....as long as a guy isn't concerned with big energy. still enough to do the job these rifles were designed to do.....as long as no body armor is involved lol

got ya, good call its not necessary.....as long as a guy isn't concerned with big energy. still enough to do the job these rifles were designed to do.....as long as no body armor is involved lol

11 1/2 commando,Shooting m856 loaded with 28.7 grains of 844T

Will hit@ 600yds a 1' x 2' steel plate all day long (Pings off it every time)

11 1/2 commando,Shooting m856 loaded with 28.7 grains of 844T

Will hit@ 600yds a 1' x 2' steel plate all day long (Pings off it every time)
Yeah, no surprises there......it's all in what a person wants to do and their expectations of performance .

Curious if you've inspected the impacts to get an idea of how hard it's actually hitting......you got a hefty load there....guessing your load is close to NATO speed ?

Now your straying into my current labor of love , short barrel performance loads

Its a AR-500 body armor insert.
I've shot it from 15 feet without doing anything other than scratching the paint.

P.S.
It ruin's the barrels after 7-8 k rounds.
it's ok with me I like hitting at 6 with the stubby

no kidding.....I just got some ss109 loaded over some WW748.....I got several AR500 gongs, couple on the way out I'll have to see what I get, figure the penetrator would leave a little pock .
I know full speed ss109 leaves a good divot in AR500........and of course regular 55gr fmj at 3150 blows through level IIIa with backer from 15 feet

856 has a larger penetrator than 855.
+ You can see where they are going, day or night.

Neither one of them will punch an AR-500 chest plate @ 15 feet.

Make sure you are standing at an oblique or you might ketch one that you sent.:confused:

856 has a larger penetrator than 855.
+ You can see where they are going, day or night.

Neither one of them will punch an AR-500 chest plate @ 15 feet.
your talking out of the short barrel right ? cause full speed(rifle barrel) blows through 762x51 rated chest plated all day with just 193.....855 might do two

add a little distance and I am sure that doesn't happen but interesting none the less

anyway I almost never shoot ss109......hung up on loading Barnes 53 tsx for an 8"

Last Edited:
I don't know what kind of plate that guy is running?

http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-trauma-plate-advanced-shooters-cut-asc-10x12.html#.VTfz-i_n8dU

first test he did was better, then the company sent him the soft backer ....you saw the rest

I have only got 3/8" gongs.....swinging.
Couple "buddies" "mistakenly" hit with green tip and it left a good little pits at 50 yards.....also some steel X39 raped that same gong some

ballistics in entirely to interesting

IMG_1706_zpsa4729622.jpg

I will be taking mine to the range in a couple of weeks, just fell and cracked my left arm last week, but will go anyway.
Mine is a Billet (Made in Hillsboro) lower with JP Buffer, TacCon trigger and Magpul furniture, a Noveske complete upper, 18" SS Barrel, SJC Muzzle brake. I have it adorned with a Leopold 1.5 x 5 VR-X Scout scope with illuminated 'firedot'. The course I will attend will be shooting at 200, 100 and less. I have been to it before and didokay, but now that I have had cataract surgery in my right eye. I am stoked up! What a difference an eye makes!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top