JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will sometimes shoot a load at long range that wasn't the best load at 100 yards just because of the performance expectation of the bullet once it gets to the target. If a 75gr A-Max shoots around 1 inch but a 50gr V-Max groups at 1/2, the 1 inch with the A-Max is just fine given the wind drift and retained energy of the A-Max over the V-Max. Sometimes perfection is the enemy of the good when it comes to LR loads.
wish we were shooting partners when I was working up loads .....just pulling my hair out because I got my 55 gr loads sub and could not for the life of me do better with my hi-zoot SMK , Nosler loads......finally gave up and settled for moa after 4 powders and 25 sets of 5 round load ladders.....then I moved them out to 300 and beyond and felt like a fool, got tunnel vision at the loading bench and 100 yard line

We've all been caught up in chasing the magical one-holer at 100. We all want field rifles that shoot like benchrest rifles. If you think about it, military and LE snipers aren't shooting ammo that is specific to the particular rifle like a benchrest shooter would have. At best, they'll have a bunch of ammo from the same lot.

i'm running a black rain ordnance milled upper and lower with rainier arms ultra match 20 sdm, young manufacturing bcg, rainier arms xtc compensator, millet one-piece scope mount, bushnell drop zone 223 3-9x40 with bdc reticle target turrets, magpul prs, mi gen2 ss one piece free float hand guard, all the furniture in OD and a little oorah for the dust cover…

its not the lightest ar by a margin but the recoil is so light i've been able to watch my target hits through the scope after firing. it's the (noticeably) loudest compensator i've ever owned but it gets the job done. i think it needs a better trigger and better glass at some point, but it works for now. the rifle certainly will shoot better than i can give it.

IMG_0773.JPG

Edit: forgot to mention that rainier arms ultramatch 20 sdm barrel is 223 wylde 1:8. it likes 69-75g ammo the best.

photobucket-22913-1343772408237.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was starting to compile a list of components to build a long range/varmint upper for my AR and ran across these complete uppers from Red X Arms, <broken link removed>

$290 bucks seems like its to good to be true for a 20 in stainless bull barrel upper.

Anybody ever tried one or been around anyone with one?

The first component of my build that I am begining arrived today. The matching lower is at my FFL. I was going to go with either a Seekins billet or a Mega billet, and the way I change gears it could still happen, but I was intriqued by AP's enhanced upper system and I like the lighter weight versus a billet set. image.jpg image.jpg

love me some Aero, long time fan.

Its great lately how they been adding so much

got one of the old roll mark lowers that has been treated all kinds of wrong and just hasn't lost a beat....like their new scope bases a lot as well

I shot a 20" AR i built. Get a 223 Remington chamber, a good BCG, and a Gieselle or similar trigger with a full stock and you'll be fine. You dont need to spend a ton of money either, I always love the dudes at the range with mega custom rifles and cant shoot them for shiz.

My .223 isnt real expensive but it is prob better than MOA.

the SR25 on the other hand tho.....;)

I am just starting my first AR build, and am thinking about a 16-18" .223 Wylde barrel w/ 1 in 8 twist. I will mostly be target shooting to 100-200 yards, with the occasional varmint expedition. I will be using 55gr or 62 gr rounds mostly, so I figure 1 in 8 twist would work best.

Thoughts, suggestions??

While I have shot ARs, this is my first build. However this build turns out, the rifle will clearly outshoot my ability.
------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.......

image.jpg I built a few but got rid of my 5.56 spr's and focused on my 6.5 grendel.
True 1000 meter semi auto rifle that weighs less than 9.5 lbs. shoots 1/4 minute groups all day. I have a DPMS SASS as well, but that never gets used anymore as it is a giant pig of a gun with less long range ability. It is basically useless for anything but prone or bench. I would not build/buy another AR10 since I have built this grendel. here is a picture out shooting in the rain, first attempt at 1000 meters. Lots of fun.

Last Edited:
love me some Aero, long time fan.

Its great lately how they been adding so much

got one of the old roll mark lowers that has been treated all kinds of wrong and just hasn't lost a beat....like their new scope bases a lot as well

I have a pair of the old ones, my wife has a new one. All sorts of fun has been had with them. AP keeps coming out with new stuff regularly which also keeps my bank account empty.

i'm running a black rain ordnance milled upper and lower with rainier arms ultra match 20 sdm, young manufacturing bcg, rainier arms xtc compensator, millet one-piece scope mount, bushnell drop zone 223 3-9x40 with bdc reticle target turrets, magpul prs, mi gen2 ss one piece free float hand guard, all the furniture in OD and a little oorah for the dust cover…

its not the lightest ar by a margin but the recoil is so light i've been able to watch my target hits through the scope after firing. it's the (noticeably) loudest compensator i've ever owned but it gets the job done. i think it needs a better trigger and better glass at some point, but it works for now. the rifle certainly will shoot better than i can give it.

View attachment 218693 View attachment 218694

Edit: forgot to mention that rainier arms ultramatch 20 sdm barrel is 223 wylde 1:8. it likes 69-75g ammo the best.
Imma go check my storage to see if my AR is still there,lol
That's mine down to the stock and grip colors.Forearm is black and I don't profess to be a Marine,lol,but very similar.
I don't know that anything more than 20 inches is necessary. I had a 24" bull barrel and my 20" gun shoots as good. Thing with any longer is,my 20" is a little more than what you want to carry very far. The stock me and billy have adds some weight too.But it is a very nice addition if you ask me.

Aero is having a sale on hand guards this weekend. I ordered one, so I now have the lower, enhanced upper, and handguard for my build. Looking at Rainier's 18" Ultramatch barrel. Also a CMC 3.5lbs flat trigger. Any thoughts/experience on those items?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top