JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your skill level with white light and self-defense?

• No training. What is a flashlight?

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Have a weapon mounted light (WML) - no training

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Have a WML and been to a training class on how to use it

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Carry an off-gun light (OGL) - no training

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Carry an OGL - and been to a training class on how to use it

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • WML and OGL trained instructor

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Don’t need training. My vast experiences made me a steely-eyed dealer of white light death

• I am a tactical iPhone light user.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
IF YOU GUYS WANT TO TRAIN, LET ME KNOW:

I can work something out with Steve and Ceberus Group. We've talked and he know my background, who I've been trained by and who I have trained.

If anyone wants to do a 1 or 2 day handgun lowlight/no-light training class. I will do it gratis. Free. We can train and/or enchange ideas. You just need a reliable handgun, off-gun light and enough ammo to get you through the training (500 - 1000 rounds). Let me know.

Enough sh!t talk. Let's train!
Sounds fun. I like how you explained what gratis meant for all the neanderthals here lol. It's farther than I'm willing to travel for fun though. I typically shoot in Renton but haven't even done that in about a year. When you guys put that together though I'd be interested to read a write up about any of the lessons learned.

IF YOU GUYS WANT TO TRAIN, LET ME KNOW:

I can work something out with Steve and Ceberus Group. We've talked and he know my background, who I've been trained by and who I have trained.

If anyone wants to do a 1 or 2 day handgun lowlight/no-light training class. I will do it gratis. Free. We can train and/or enchange ideas. You just need a reliable handgun, off-gun light and enough ammo to get you through the training (500 - 1000 rounds). Let me know.

Enough sh!t talk. Let's train!
You come on here being super arrogant and condescending and now you are asking people to train with you? Let me know how that works for you. I've seen enough to know that I'll pass.

For around the house I normally will grab a PCC and all of mine have lights now mounted on them. I too keep night lights scattered around so I can walk around without turning on lights or kicking something barefoot and waking up Wife swearing :D
At night if I have a handgun I carry a nice hand held light and do practice shooting with the hand held lights. Most of the practice for this is done with airguns so I can do it at home. Never much worried about the night lights in the house as no way anyone would get in without the fur alarms going off and telling me someone was in the place.

point light in desired direction. Push on button…..

I carry a very good flashlight on me at all times - when I work it feels like the world started using phone lights and they just aren't even in the same class as a good flashlight.

I use my light so often I do not fee the need to train with it.
The lights on phones can be "handy" but I never have been able to understand some who use them as a tool. Have worked with some who would not carry a light since they had the phone. The lights on a phone do such a suck job compared to even cheap, small hand held lights I have always carried a light. Only time the phone light is ever used is if I rarely need light for something and for some reason do not have a light with me. I have a few little lights that use one AAA battery that I can carry in my pocket as easy as a pen that completely blow the one of the phone away.

Well OK! I personally hate weapon-mounted lights for the reasons I alluded to. They are pretty good for front end recoil reduction on a handgun. But from your opponent's perspective, the beam comes straight back to your center of mass.

Was trained by former SEALs to use an OGL in order to keep the light away from your centerline. The principles and techniques are very useful in most environments, except maybe going down a flight of stairs. Was wondering if there is different training or practice techniques out their. Wanted to know what others are learning to use to identify good guys from bad and how often they train and practice.

Oh well, thought I'd ask. As Wayne Gretzky said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
As far as house sweeping goes... when the old gal and I were in the same bed, I didn't. Hear a noise. Shut up and listen to see if it gets closer. Nothing out there worth risking my life for... but if miscreant bridges by bedroom doorway... light on and blow em up. Bet I can beat em to the draw!!!

Now that we have separate bedrooms, well, I have to go investigate noises. With either light, I only use intermittent beam to light up something. When using OGL I use a cross hand method, with the gun hand resting on the wrist/forearm of the light hand. Push button on back of taclight to light em up... still bet I can center that light faster than they can get off a shot down the beam.

I don't like using the light held away from my body, that leaves me shooting one handed... IMO never a good way to go. Giving up accuracy and takes more time to aim. No thanx.

But that's just me. Everybody gotta decide what is right for themselves.

Yep, I'm just weird.

If you have never been ripped between the eyes with a 150 lumen light (minimum) and had your OODA Loop restarted, hidden the shadow lines in a low-light search or tried to read the lighting conditions you are in, I guess shining a light onto a static paper target and then shooting at it is pretty awesome.

Carry on with your bad self. No need for any further training.
I can make general assumptions about people I don't know too. I think I just did.

Thanks for your permission. Carrying on.

I got me black light training from the SQUEALS... unz-unz-unz.
black light GIF by Originals
black light GIF by Originals

😎
No disrespect...just trying to lighten the mood.

Last Edited:
I see I was mentioned...

One of the lowest attended classes for about any instructor is Low Light. I don't think it takes a day to teach someone about light use in general, but a class would be beneficial using a WML

Unfortunately it does take some doing to dispell the 'net crap about lights. Such as the usual...using too bright of light in a small room....ugh

Watch videos out there from some of the top tier instructors and go forth and train. Although a class is never a replacement for such videos, but if you're picky on who you watch...one can pick up a lot of good info.,...and no Hickok45 is not one I would recommend.

A few thoughts to ponder;

1 - Get the brightest light you can. Have never heard anyone say...I can see too much with this light.

2 - There's ways to tone down a light, but you can't make a weak light brighter.

3 - There are 3 parts to a light; Spot, Flood and Throw. Test the light and see if it works for how you're operating and the environment you're operating in...such as CQB vs outside vs lighted area etc.

4 - Contrary to popular belief, the use of a light in a lighted area on a threat can still be very effective.

Carry on mates...this has been a good read.

I wish more QUALITY training of all types was offered in Oregon by people who aren't flakes. I've been trying to find a reliable trainer south of PDX and west of the Cascades since OFA shut down, but to no avail. Most of my inquiries to so-called trainers' websites don't even receive a response…

The lights on phones can be "handy" but I never have been able to understand some who use them as a tool. Have worked with some who would not carry a light since they had the phone. The lights on a phone do such a suck job compared to even cheap, small hand held lights I have always carried a light. Only time the phone light is ever used is if I rarely need light for something and for some reason do not have a light with me. I have a few little lights that use one AAA battery that I can carry in my pocket as easy as a pen that completely blow the one of the phone away.
Dropping your " torch" during normal usage shouldn't be a huge problem, if it's midgrade quality. Dropping your phone while using it as a light could be a heartbreaker.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top