JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your skill level with white light and self-defense?

• No training. What is a flashlight?

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Have a weapon mounted light (WML) - no training

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Have a WML and been to a training class on how to use it

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Carry an off-gun light (OGL) - no training

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Carry an OGL - and been to a training class on how to use it

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • WML and OGL trained instructor

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Don’t need training. My vast experiences made me a steely-eyed dealer of white light death

• I am a tactical iPhone light user.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Which should be a choice in the OP poll (and why I didn't select one)
Same. I don't limit myself to one white light and I obviously use the one in my pocket much more often then the one on my carry gun.

point light in desired direction. Push on button…..

I carry a very good flashlight on me at all times - when I work it feels like the world started using phone lights and they just aren't even in the same class as a good flashlight.

I use my light so often I do not fee the need to train with it.

I have a WML on all but the smallest of my pistols, and carry a Cloud Defensive MCH for both work and real world application.

I agree with others, a second light option should have been included in the poll.
I just can't get into weapon mounted light only for personal carry. Left on its own, it seems to fly in the face of gun safety. In order to have one, I would have to do like others here who seem to take the added thoughtfulness to carry a second light, but with gun, knife, keys, spare ammo, old age etc. I really don't want to carry a second light.
I do carry a rechargeable with an amazingly bright high beam and no tricks to operate; thumb push on and push more for blinding or distance bright boost.
L1090961.JPG

Well dang.... too bad there wasn't ability to pick more than one answer!!

I have a WML on three of my HD weapons, one a Glock, one 12ga, and one AR shorty. My nightstand drawer gun is a Public Defender, so I have a tactical light there

IMO, the WMLs don't really require training if they are sighted in so that the bullet meets the center of the thrown spot of light at the usual distance one expects to use deadly force. Push button, aim light, pull trigger. The only question is whether to keep light on continuously or intermittently as needed. That's not training, that's a personal choice.

Handheld lights require a small amount of training to obtain a useful firing grip/position between gun hand and light hand, and them some practice because it's basically shooting single hand with some support. I've seen some awful grips taken up with a handheld light... best to get it all pounded out ahead of need. BTW also have to decide if one wants to hold the taclight high and away from defender, or to support the gun hand.

My pocket light isn't super expensive and has taken a beating but it's still working. All I have to do is stay regimented on swapping out the batteries.

8E964438-4E24-4825-AB1A-831462424C10.jpeg

Which should be a choice in the OP poll (and why I didn't select one)
My favorite posts are always those that criticize the poll. Where is your poll then?

Answer the question.

As far as training, there are learning curves to both WML and OGLs. WML, from your opponent''s perspective, point back to your center of mass because they are mounted to the gun and are located at your center-line.

OGLs are by their nature off-line, but require training and practice to see what you need to see. All of this is academic though, and beneath some who want a better poll.

Great! Then create it.

My favorite posts are always those that criticize the poll. Where is your poll then?

Answer the question.

As far as training, there are learning curves to both WML and OGLs. WML, from your opponent''s perspective, point back to your center of mass because they are mounted to the gun and are located at your center-line.

OGLs are by their nature off-line, but require training and practice to see what you need to see. All of this is academic though, and beneath some who want a better poll.

Great! Then create it.
Can't answer a poll if the option that applies to you isn't listed.

Hence the comment.

Can't answer a poll if the option that applies to you isn't listed.

Hence the comment.
Zacklies! Some of us are old school before mounted lights were a thing, and some of us have proven time and time again that the old School is still the best school, as we did it against the new school under intense training and we did it down range for real!
The poll simply doesn't cover enough options, so we offer other alternate options in the discussions to not only highlight those options, but why! This is the whole purpose of said discussions, so keep on!

Zacklies! Some of us are old school before mounted lights were a thing, and some of us have proven time and time again that the old School is still the best school, as we did it against the new school under intense training and we did it down range for real!
The poll simply doesn't cover enough options, so we offer other alternate options in the discussions to not only highlight those options, but why! This is the whole purpose of said discussions, so keep on!
Well OK! I personally hate weapon-mounted lights for the reasons I alluded to. They are pretty good for front end recoil reduction on a handgun. But from your opponent's perspective, the beam comes straight back to your center of mass.

Was trained by former SEALs to use an OGL in order to keep the light away from your centerline. The principles and techniques are very useful in most environments, except maybe going down a flight of stairs. Was wondering if there is different training or practice techniques out their. Wanted to know what others are learning to use to identify good guys from bad and how often they train and practice.

Oh well, thought I'd ask. As Wayne Gretzky said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top