JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
John Murphy is coming to the Seattle area to run his excellent "Street Encounter Skills and Tactics" class. He's being hosted by FAS, and the course dates are June 25-26. John is a phenomenal and gifted instructor, and the material covered is very relevant: MUC, medical, pepper spray use and handgun use.

I had chatted with John at TacCon this year and he mentioned the course was lightly filled, and was at FAS yesterday and Belle also mentioned that there's not many people signed up (5, last I heard). It would be a shame if top-notch national trainers like John would stop coming out here, so I thought I'd post up and see if there might be folks here interested in taking this.

John Murphy is coming to the Seattle area to run his excellent "Street Encounter Skills and Tactics" class. He's being hosted by FAS, and the course dates are June 25-26. John is a phenomenal and gifted instructor, and the material covered is very relevant: MUC, medical, pepper spray use and handgun use.

I had chatted with John at TacCon this year and he mentioned the course was lightly filled, and was at FAS yesterday and Belle also mentioned that there's not many people signed up (5, last I heard). It would be a shame if top-notch national trainers like John would stop coming out here, so I thought I'd post up and see if there might be folks here interested in taking this.
What is cost?

Wound up being a great class at FAS. We had 8 students, a couple of whom were people taking the class again. The first day was spent working with "roped" guns -- John had us unload our firearms and put a piece of thick white vinyl wire through the barrel and down and out the magazine well, so that it stuck out of both end of the gun and everyone could see the firearm was incapable of firing. We could then draw from the holster and work mock scenarios with our own carry setups instead of blue guns.

We covered basic stop the bleed stuff, and everyone was issued an ankle med kit with a TQ and an Israeli bandage. At various times during the two days, John would suddenly start yelling "Assess! Assess! Assess!" and we would have to check ourselves for wounds. He'd then tell us something like "left leg spurting", or "right arm oozing" or whatever, and we'd be on the clock to apply the correct dressing to the wound type on the clock.

We were also issued two POM OC spray trainers, whcih we learned to properly carry, draw and present, and if need be apply in different situations. On Saturday we worked with John playing the role of the unknown contact, and on Sunday we hit targets while John or one of the students verbalized what the bad guy was saying. My draw and presentation still need a bit of work. I'll have to do some dry fire at home with that. We also got a live POM canister to take home with us, so I can add OC spray to my EDC.

We closed out day one with some street encounter scenarios, with John playing the unknown subject. The students had an opportunity to comply, to wait for a counter-ambush opportunity, or potentially to evade the encounter all together. John would then switch hats and play the role of a responding LEO and take the citizen defender through a police interaction. All useful stuff.

Day two had us on the range, in the heat. We set time baselines for shooting short groups at 3 and 5 yards, as those were mostly the distances that we would drill at later in the day. We then moved on to moving off the "X" laterally while drawing and preparing to shoot, more verbalizations ordering the attacker to stop or back off or whatever, and assessing while shooting so that we could stop if the situation changed. In total, we shot about 200 rounds of ammo that day.

The culmination of these drills were exercises that had us respond to visual stimuli to initiate the appropriate action. In some, John would have two students stand side by side, facing their respective targets. One student would lead, and the other would follow. When the leader initiated the draw, the other should pick that up in his peripheral vision and initiate his draw and counter-assault. In others, John had us use red (for "stop") or green (for "go to work") laser pointers to indicate at what times in the evolution we could draw, shoot, etc.

In all, a very useful class. The only downside was that since John flew out here, he didn't have his rolling dummy with him, which he uses to great effect to have a target coming at the students and which is also a good demo of tactical anatomy. However, for the class at at TCGC later this summer, John will be out here in his RV, so any of y'all who go to that should get the full experience. John will be back at FAS in 2024, and I look forward to retaking this class with him.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR